Random Thoughts CHM edition

Oh did somebody get their feelings hurt?

Sounds to me like a cheap attempt to get some tabloid coverage.

Sounds to me like a cheap attempt to get some tabloid coverage.

Yarp, they are trolling for attention at this point.

Top Gear Dog has died. Age 11.

It sure is.

I guess that explains the celebrity thing.

I'm entirely OK without it. EvansGear MURDERED the concept -- I always had to turn the volume off and go do chores or something during the third of the show they wasted on it. Though, I do miss Clarkson chatting with the F1 drivers and the "celebrities," which to this guy from the US, most of which I hadn't even heard of before. To me, it was NOTHING about "the celebrities," but rather, it was about the humor and the wit that Clarkson conducted the chats with. I do miss that.

Agreed. I watched ever TG interview at least once, whether I knew/liked the celeb or not. Many I watched in repeats, too, because they were entertaining. But the "Well, Fred, please read badly from the teleprompter and tell us what Joe has been up to lately" "Well, Chris, Joe has been doing this...", I frequently tried to sit through but just couldn't. It was a very painful segment, regardless of who the guests were. And it only got worse after the opening crap with the audience 'voting' on who had the better cars.

Thing is, whether an SIARPC segment worked depends very much on the Star's attitude towards cars. Ron Howard worked for the most part because he directed a movie about racing drivers and it was a subject that TGUK's audience was interested in; ditto Jay Leno and Rowan Atkinson. With Will Smith and Margot Robbie you had a certain amount of competition between the stars, which SIARPC did try to foster.

That also proves correct my assertion that Celebrity Brain Crash was a middle finger to the concept of guest stars--since TGT was barred from using them, the show decided to send up the whole idea.

I highly doubt that having bigger and better guests stars on Top Gear will make much of a difference--it's like putting lipstick on a pig. No one watched the CHM Top Gear because of the guest stars--they were just an enjoyable aspect of a many-faceted program. The current TG is hobbled by having hosts who were selected by committee, rather than each other, and because whoever's behind the production lacks the imagination and goofball ideas of the Wilman/Clarkson/Porter team. I'm betting several BBC execs are wishing the organization had enough money to buy CHM out of their contracts.

Can't wait