Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

Where do you study?

Cambridge University in the UK.

Very well done! What does that role entail?

It's always hard to know exactly before you start, but from what they told me in the interview it will be developing tools for automating strategic decisions, then using them on weekends in Mission Control during the races, and doing competitor analysis and pitstop analysis. They also said that if I am interested in doing race engineering later they will give me time with the drivers in the simulator and that kind of thing...

Awesome! (Wrong team, but still. :D )

Haha to be honest I wasn't even considering working for them. Red Bull gave me an offer and Ferrari were very close (both locations a lot better than Brackley and they pay way more) but this job is pretty special, I've never seen a role in Race Engineering straight out of university. Since it's what I always wanted to do I thought screw it, let's do it, can't be worrying about money, etc at this stage.

Thanks for the complements guys. I really hope I can bring some insider perspective once I'm there but I'm sure it will be difficult with the millions of non-disclosures I'm signing at the moment. I'll do my best not to be a cryptic bastard.

Congratulations Stiggington!

Did you do FStudent at uni?

Cheers, no I'm barely involved at all, I just drive the car from time to time cause I'm a karter. FStudent is run really badly here and I didn't want to get myself involved in the shitstorm. The fact that all that effort, etc ends up in a car that's very complicated but still slower than a go kart kind of put me off from the start. Kind of goes against everything we love about racing (no compromise, speed).

Cheers, no I'm barely involved at all, I just drive the car from time to time cause I'm a karter. FStudent is run really badly here and I didn't want to get myself involved in the shitstorm. The fact that all that effort, etc ends up in a car that's very complicated but still slower than a go kart kind of put me off from the start. Kind of goes against everything we love about racing (no compromise, speed).

good thing you didn't apply for a job at caterham :lol:

anyways, congrats!!

Congrats Sir Stiggington! that is amazing news!

What was your y3 spesialisation? Mechanical?

Aerospace actually. Always thought I would end up doing aero for F1 but then when had more experience with aero and talked to people doing it in F1 it quickly became clear it's not for me, too "small" if you know what I mean. It's gotten to the point where a senior aero designer in his 40s mioght be in charge of the aero of the front 1/3 of the car. I've always been more of a big picture guy. Even though I can do the small stuff it doesn't really get the juices flowing...

Aerospace actually. Always thought I would end up doing aero for F1 but then when had more experience with aero and talked to people doing it in F1 it quickly became clear it's not for me, too "small" if you know what I mean. It's gotten to the point where a senior aero designer in his 40s mioght be in charge of the aero of the front 1/3 of the car. I've always been more of a big picture guy. Even though I can do the small stuff it doesn't really get the juices flowing...

Yeah, that was my biggest fear of Mech. Eng., at least that's from what I saw at my former place of employment. If you wanted to be a big picture kind of guy you need a Master's or PhD. ... so here I am back at school :p

What did you do your thesis / final year project on?

Yeah, that was my biggest fear of Mech. Eng., at least that's from what I saw at my former place of employment. If you wanted to be a big picture kind of guy you need a Master's or PhD. ... so here I am back at school :p

Couldn't you just have done a mech eng masters? In the UK they offer 4 year courses that gives you a masters degree. Bachelors = 3 years, masters = 4 years.

Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

Couldn't you just have done a mech eng masters? In the UK they offer 4 year courses that gives you a masters degree. Bachelors = 3 years, masters = 4 years.

In the U.S., a bachelors takes 4-5 years. Some schools will allow you to continue on another year and get a Master's (provided that you meet their requirements). Otherwise you have to get the Master's at another school and for Eng. it lasts 1.5-2 years.

I also didn't do Mech E. for my Bachelor's, I did Applied Physics and now I'm doing my PhD. in Computer Eng.

Last edited: