Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

can someone explain to me how Baku is considered part of Europe?

if australia can be european for the eurovision song festival, baku can be for F1! [/sarcasm]

Last edited:
No.
Cos it ain't.

Except that it is, it really is.

azerbaijan.jpg

Israel gets to play in the UEFA Euro. Don't tell me Israel is in Europe, too.

Yep, it is. They compete in European championships. It's not always a strictly geographical decision. What are Turkey and Russia supposed to do, who both have parts that are geographically in Asia? Actually, for both, the majority of their territory is geographically Asian, yet both are politically a part of Europe.

Israel is not in Europe and there's no argument. Just because it chose (and was allowed to) compete in football in the UEFA because reasons doesn't make it part of it.

Australia competes in the AFC, that doesn't make Australia an Asian country.

Last edited:

Because nobody from the middle east wants to play against Israel. So the fifa/uefa put them in the european competition.

Because nobody from the middle east wants to play against Israel. So the fifa/uefa put them in the european competition.

There's no Middle East Football Association. They'd play in the Asia or African leagues.

I never said there was a Middle East Football Association.

I said no country from the middle east wanted to play against Israel!

I never said there was a Middle East Football Association.

I said no country from the middle east wanted to play against Israel!

That doesn't justify it not being in its respective continent's association. Same with Australia.

There's no Middle East Football Association. They'd play in the Asia or African leagues.

Asian Sports associations refused to accept Israel upon pressure from Arab countries. However, Israel always considered itself European anyway as that's where most of its inhabitants came from. Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Kazachstan all have minor parts of territory in Europe and therefore are politically aligned to Europe, like Russia and Turkey, who also have most of their landmass situated in Asia, but are politically European.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't justify it not being in its respective continent's association. Same with Australia.

The Asian association refused to accept Israel as a member. Europe stepped in and said: "Then play with us." As for Australia. What are they supposed to do? Their country is the continent. Are they supposed to play against themselves?

Last edited:
The Grand Prix of Europe would be held in Brunei if the Sultan offered Bernie 50 million GBP a year in hosting fees, so actual geographical location has no bearing, to be honest. That Azerbajan actually has a toe-hold on what is considered the European landmass is just an extra.

The Grand Prix of Europe would be held in Brunei if the Sultan offered Bernie 50 million GBP a year in hosting fees, so actual geographical location has no bearing, to be honest. That Azerbajan actually has a toe-hold on what is considered the European landmass is just an extra.

This. Has nothing to do with geography. But they could at least change its name.

However, Israel always considered itself European anyway as that's where most of its inhabitants came from.
Sure, let's have the US, Argentina, Canada, etc in the Euro, since they're mostly european descent as well.

This. Has nothing to do with geography. But they could at least change its name.

Why should they? Azerbaijan is a European Country. Their territory spans two continents: Europe and Asia and they are therefore a legit European country. They have as much right to host a European GP as Russia and Turkey have. Nobody made a fuzz when the San Marino GP was held in Italy or the Luxemburg GP in Germany. But we're discussing why a European country hosts the European GP?

Sure, let's have the US, Argentina, Canada, etc in the Euro, since they're mostly european descent as well.

I said the Israelis consider themselves European. The 'murricans and the Canadians certainly don't.

I said the Israelis consider themselves European. The 'murricans and the Canadians certainly don't.

I'm not Israeli, but the whole idea of creating a country for the jewish people, makes me think they consider themselves... jewish. Their culture and religion was born in the middle east and now they've returned to the middle east, I dunno why would they consider themselves European.

caus they sure as hell won't consider themselves among the people who kicked them out in the first place...

Exactly, you mean the people who burned them in ovens?
I expect they consider themselves simply "jewish".
In any case, hasn't a national F1 grand prix been always a glamour, expensive thing to organize? How come it popped up suddenly in a country which has one third the GDP per capita compared to poor Portugal, and many magnitudes less than other more traditional European locations?

How long until a FIA-gate and all the palm wetting gets discovered?

How long until a FIA-gate and all the palm wetting gets discovered?

Never. We all know that it happens anyway. The whole point of <insert word>-gate is that something comes out that people didn't know yet. We all know that FIA and FOM are corrupt.

Never. We all know that it happens anyway. The whole point of <insert word>-gate is that something comes out that people didn't know yet. We all know that FIA and FOM are corrupt.

It's not about knowing, it's about evidence which can be presented in court and start getting the shit people out. Even the pyramids were started by laying the first stone.

In any case, hasn't a national F1 grand prix been always a glamour, expensive thing to organize? How come it popped up suddenly in a country which has one third the GDP per capita compared to poor Portugal, and many magnitudes less than other more traditional European locations?

Because the Head of Government of that country offered Bernie 50 million GBP a year, of course.