Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Davenport in a coma after Croft BTCC qualifying crash

BTCC racers Luke Davenport is in an induced coma and Jeff Smith has serious injuries after an accident in qualifying at Croft on Saturday.

Eurotech Racing Honda driver Smith and Motorbase Performance Ford man Davenport were part of a multi-car pile-up early on in the qualifying session at Barcroft corner.

Both had to be cut from their cars and were taken to the circuit?s medical centre to be stabilised before being transferred to the James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough.

A statement from series organisers TOCA said: ?Luke Davenport is currently in intensive care in an induced coma, and is in a serious but stable condition, with multiple chest injuries, lung damage, broken right leg, broken pelvis, broken right arm and concussion.

?Jeff Smith is in a serious but stable condition, with multiple chest injuries, extensive shoulder injuries, broken left arm and concussion.

?All of the above injuries, whilst very serious, are not immediately life threatening.?

Triple Eight Racing MG driver Aron Taylor-Smith was also involved in the accident, and was knocked unconscious in the accident. He was helped from his car and was taken to the circuit?s medical centre for checks.

He was later transferred by road to the James Cook Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a fractured leg. He will attend Sunday?s meeting but will not take part.

Ash Sutton (Team BMR Subaru), whose car also picked up damage in the accident, will start the day?s opening race from pole position.

UPDATE: This story originally referenced Jeff Smith as also being in an induced coma, based on information supplied by officials.

Matt James

https://www.openbare-verkopen.be/veiling/formule-x-racewagen

that's a public auction for an F3, which might be a bit more attainable than the F1 cars to pop up for sale once and a while
but it comes with a kit to transform it in an lmp2, so you can participate in the le mans series

what???? first, since lmp2 went spec, you won't be allowed anymore (someone should inform the seller)
but ignoring that, you can transfrom an F3 to an lmp2???????????

interested? bidding starts 17/07/2017, with the opening bid 10K?...

This... this is really weird, this can't be?!

I'm gonna try to find out what I can about this. This has made me really curious.

BTW, it doesn't say anything about it being restricted to LMP2 (except maybe the engine would suggest it), so technically you could make an LMP1 out of it, which in the rules of before 2016 would've been possible (LMP1 and LMP2 we're "quite easily" interchangeable)

Last edited:
Bone, here is the answer:

rpl0XZs.png

http://www.motorsportmarkt.de/show/rennfahrzeuge/formelfahrzeuge/van-diemen-formula-x.html

UpvxLKX.png

I did not know about Formula X. It did after a single race weekend. :lol:

wow, great! :D
i don't have friends with that knowledge :eek:

i'll go trash that add! :D

I put it in the "Mulsanne's Corner" Facebook group (definitely worth joining!) and posted it in the "Sportscar Racing" section of the Ten Tenths forums. :)

Good news for the Mazda DPI teams. Hopefully they can make that car perform as good as it looks.

c72bd7f84d.jpg

Apparently they are sticking with the 2.0L turbo 4 engine, which I suppose Mazda is kinda stuck with. I think the rules force them to use an existing race engine and I'm not sure Mazda build much of anything with more than 4 cylinders nowadays.

Hopefully IMSA can work out something with the ACO that allows these DPi cars to race at Le Mans, especially if your second story comes true and Porsche pull out of the LMP1 class. The ACO will have to do something to make the racing at the sharp end of the field interesting. Even if these DPi cars were forced to run in the LMP1 class where they would have no chance, oh well, it would still be fun to see them running. Especially the Cadillacs with no BoP.

Last edited:
Mercedes to quit DTM after 2018, confirms Formula E entry

Mercedes has announced it will quit DTM at the end of the 2018 season, as well as confirming a Formula E entry in 2019/20.

The Stuttgart brand has been a core part of DTM since its relaunch in 2000, and its forthcoming departure will leave the German tin-top series with only two manufacturers, BMW and Audi, from 2019.

Mercedes, which first indicated an interest in joining Formula E last October, joins a growing list of companies to commit to an involvement in the burgeoning all-electric series, including its two DTM rivals.

"Our years in the DTM will always be held high as a major chapter in the motorsport history of Mercedes," said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

"I want to thank every team member whose fantastic work has helped to make Mercedes-Benz the most successful DTM manufacturer during that time.

"Although leaving is tough for all of us, we will be doing everything during this season and next to make sure we win as many DTM titles as possible before we go. We owe that to our fans and to ourselves."

Mercedes first joined the modern DTM's predecessor, the Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft, in 1988, securing its first title with Klaus Ludwig in 1992.

It took further titles with Ludwig in 1994 and Bernd Schneider in 1995 before the category folded at the end of 1996 amid spiralling costs, but resumed winning ways in 2000 when the series was relaunched in its current guise.

Schneider secured a further four titles in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, while Gary Paffett, Paul di Resta and more recently Sauber Formula 1 driver Pascal Wehrlein have taken a title apiece for the Silver Arrows.

Its works HWA operation currently runs all six of its 2017 entries following a downscaling from eight to six cars last winter, with Paffett and di Resta joined by Lucas Auer, Edoardo Mortara, Maro Engel and Robert Wickens.

Formula E entry deferred by a year

The agreement signed by Mercedes and Formula E Holdings late last year was originally for a season five (2018/19) entry, but instead the German auto giant will make its debut in season six.

Wolff explained this was to "give us time to properly understand" Formula E and "prepare for our entry in the right way."

He also reiterated Mercedes' commitment to F1, which was bolstered by a recent extension to its long-standing title sponsorship agreement with Petronas.

"In motorsport like in every other area, we want to be the benchmark in the premium segment and to explore innovative new projects. The combination of Formula 1 and Formula E delivers that," he said.

"Formula E is like an exciting start-up venture: it offers a brand new format, combining racing with a strong event character, in order to promote current and future technologies.

"Electrification is happening in the road car world and Formula E offers manufacturers an interesting platform to bring this technology to a new audience - and to do so with a completely new kind of racing, different to any other series."

It's understood that HWA will run the Mercedes Formula E outfit in season six, and could enter the championship in season five as part of a tie-up with Venturi, which currently runs factory driver Engel.

Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag commented: "Today is a great day as we welcome Mercedes to the Formula E family - adding to the increasing number of manufacturers joining the electric revolution.

"This shows how much the world is changing, not only in motorsport, but the whole automotive industry. We?re witnessing a transformation that will first change our cities, and then our roads.

"Formula E is the championship that embodies that change, and together with all our teams and manufacturers we?ll keep pushing for technologies, to have better and more affordable electric cars.?

FIA President Jean Todt added: ?I?m very happy to see yet another manufacturer committing to the FIA Formula E Championship.

?Mercedes-Benz has been competing in motorsport since the very beginning, and in joining this newest chapter of racing history - Formula E - it shows that the vision and concept of the championship is aligned with how manufacturers want to develop electric vehicle technologies, and bring these innovations to audiences around the world.?

that's great news!
and who cares about racing people carriers anyways...

well, just as DTM got sooomeewhat exciting - this happens.

But it's the same with Audi in WEC - they could only lose, not win anything positive anymore. Marketingwise, Formula E is perfect. And you're racing right in the city center of the great metropoles - exactly where the buyer of cars like the Tesla and stupidly expensive hybrids are...

We've discussed it quite a lot here. :)

I just learned of the existance of "BOSS GP" series... old Formula 1 cars running against each other, alongside with another "class" made up of GP2 and 3 cars, and some other stuff thrown in. I don't even understand how it works since all cars are so different and there seem to be little done to make the field competitive (the champion this year won 8 of the 10 races he entered, 1 second place, 1 retirement).

i don't think it works at all, it's fun, but it doesn't work

and you have to love the name: BOSS GP: Big Open Single Seaters GP :lol:
i looked into going to the zandvoort race last year, but couldn't find anyone excited enough to go along...