Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

You can start by getting it in focus ;)

I know... by better I meant sharper.

But how do I get started? I have never done manual focus.

Edit: I should mention my vision isn't the greatest. I know auto focus has its pitfalls anyway, but I can't really tell at all through the viewfinder. I'll try manual focus, but yeah, not sure how well it will work out for me.

Last edited:
You can start by not living at sea level. :p

Try to wait until the moon is at its zenith so you're looking through less atmosphere (it's obviously low in the sky in your photo because it's a full moon and it's on its side). The moon's so god damned bright that manual focussing it is pretty easy, provided you have your viewfinder diopter set right (if you look at like a white wall or something the AF markers should be crispy sharp if the diopter's set right for your eyes), it might just take a few tries.

But how do I get started? I have never done manual focus.

Edit: I should mention my vision isn't the greatest. I know auto focus has its pitfalls anyway, but I can't really tell at all through the viewfinder.
There's no reason autofocus shouldn't work to focus on the moon. It's certainly a bright enough object. Make sure you're selecting the AF sensor manually, center the sensor on the moon, focus and shoot. You might want to use spot metering, too.

There's no reason autofocus shouldn't work to focus on the moon. It's certainly a bright enough object. Make sure you're selecting the AF sensor manually, center the sensor on the moon, focus and shoot. You might want to use spot metering, too.

But I did all of that stuff... and was obviously using a tripod too. :hmm:

Maybe I'll try on a different night, but that was a totally clear night and that's the best of a dozen shots.

Fuck, Jessops declined my application for 12 month finance on a D7000, so I'll have to resort to plan B to get one. I'll let you know what plan B is when I think of it.

In other news my D40 goes to it's new home tomorrow giving a newbie DSLR user something cheap but capable... assuming he pays up.

Jessops declined my application for 12 month finance on a D7000, so I'll have to resort to plan B to get one. I'll let you know what plan B is when I think of it.
I dunno... save up for it? I honestly can't understand why people want to buy things they can't afford. I mean... being in debt for 12 months for something that costs a grand-and-a-bit? No thank-you.

So how can I go about getting a better shot of the moon than this? EXIF is intact.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/10/25/DSC_1655.jpg

download it from NASA?

I dunno... save up for it? I honestly can't understand why people want to buy things they can't afford. I mean... being in debt for 12 months for something that costs a grand-and-a-bit? No thank-you.

I'm not exactly made of money, and I'd rather put a bit of money to one side ever week to pay that off than put it aside and wait for a year before buying the camera. The 12 month 0% deal they offer would've been ideal because I'm not getting any interest slapped on. Think what you want anyway, I don't care so much about your opinions any more.

No, you're just made of illogic. He'd be putting the exact same amount of money to the side every week/month whether he was saving up or financing. Financing ? debt.

I get both sides. I don't even have a credit card and save up for everything, pretty much, but no interest is pretty sweet. I'm sure you can wait 12 months? I always try to put off tech purchases as long as possible cos prices are always dropping while the products are improving.

I always try to put off tech purchases as long as possible cos prices are always dropping while the products are improving.
Woah, good point; I didn't even think of that.

Do you really want to be paying for a nearly-year-old camera when Nikon comes out with the D-twenty-million that does ISO gazillion, when you could have just start saving up now and afford the newer model down the line?

But at the same time if you get into that mentality you may never buy anything because the next way better thing is always just around the corner.

Nah, I'll buy the thing for which I'm saving, when I've saved up enough. If something better comes along once I've saved up, I'll get that instead.

If not, I won't be disappointed in what I buy.

Well, saving for it may be the only option, but I'm not to happy about it because I sold my D40 to make up the deposit amount I was going to put down on the D7000 (?350). While I might get something better by waiting, I doubt Nikon are going to release anything new in the meantime that I can afford (maybe a D400 but that's not in my price range).

You could try setting the point of focus to infinity or further if your lens allows it, trying to be super precise almost certainly won't be worth it.

Except that most lenses focus past infinity (blur) and cheaper lenses moreso (more blur), so... you know, that's all well and good but you can't really tell if you're at infinity or not unless you look through the viewfinder or take a test shot.