Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
Started out by making a small change to the header on my site, ended up completely re-skinning the site and hacking up a skin to suit mine better.

www.pmcgphotos.com

Any thoughts ?

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Anyone else ever go out to shoot, only to return with nothing worth putting your name on? :(

Started out by making a small change to the header on my site, ended up completely re-skinning the site and hacking up a skin to suit mine better.

www.pmcgphotos.com

Any thoughts ?
Simple is good, but that's a little too simple.

Last edited:

sifu

Car(s)
-07 BMW E91 320d M-sport
i get with my digital the same rate as with film.. about one shot per film

SileNceR

Car(s)
1998 BMW E39 540iA, 1979 BMW E21/4.0i
Anyone else ever go out to shoot, only to return with nothing worth putting your name on? :(
I haven't been out to shoot anything in ages. No motivation for it.

Not sure why, and even catching a few cool shots with the iPhone hasn't kick started me back into it :(

nomix

True Viking
Car(s)
Tend do walk the 40 meters from my bed to lecture.
It's all useless. Tried putting the camera into aperture priority, JPEG and matrix metering, and turning the screen to see if I liked what I came home with.

I did not. At all. Blargh.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
With:

Without:

Same exposure, same flash power, etc.

Yes, I know, direct flash, looks like arse, etc. I thought the idea was that I could use the diffuser to light things more directly.

And here's some nice, even, natural-looking bounced flash:

Short of buying an umbrella, stand, etc., is there something I can get (or make) that will diffuse the light similarly to an umbrella, but I can just attach to the flash?

Last edited:

Ramseus

Have you been high today?
According to the the-digtal-picture guy (he talks about in the flash reviews), that diffuser was bound to give such results because of the area of the light source. Makes sense, the area of the light source is essentially unchanged so the shadows will still be just as sharply defined. Larger light source, larger distance between the light being fully obscured and not obscured, aka larger penumbra.

if that's not a good explanation, here's a super unscientific diagram

something like this should give you soft shadows.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
Poop. So, why do they even sell this thing?

Also, I just rigged together a softbox with a cardboard box and a sheet of tracing paper. Works much better.

Last edited:

Ramseus

Have you been high today?
I don't even know. Maybe because Ken Rockwell thinks diffusers work like soft boxes? Diffusers just like make the light spread out more or something (see: canikon flashes with built in diffusers to turn the bare 24mm coverage into 14mm coverage) so you could end up with the flash boucning around a bit more and more light ending up in your shadows so it looks a bit better, but whatever.

hansvonaxion

Car(s)
Legacy GT-B
To get suckers like you? I kid. Thanks for the pics BTW, that info should be added to a database somewhere.

Didn't twig until Ramseus explained it. Makes sense. If it's any consolation you could make a diffuser yourself out of everyday items you can find in your kitchen.

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
To get suckers like you? I kid.
Hey, I first asked you guys if it was any good :p

Oh, well. It makes a nice flash cover, I guess :\

If it's any consolation you could make a diffuser yourself out of everyday items you can find in your kitchen.
Yup, cut a hole in a cardboard box, put some tracing paper over the other end. Works quite nicely.

Direct flash (looks like arse)

Softbox with 1 sheet of tracing paper

Softbox with 2 sheets of tracing paper

Softbox with 3 sheets of tracing paper

Bounced off the ceiling

I'll experiment more when I can use it off-camera tomorrow :)

Last edited: