Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

I love 50mm on FF, some like 35mm. Choose the one you like most. Or hell, as primes go the 50 and 35 are cheap, get them both. A 50/1.8 is fine (although I dearly love my Sig50) and 35/2s are quite good as well.

^ What he said.

A 35 is pretty much useless for serious headshots, but a 50 works quite well.. :)
Thank you, Gentlemen! I think I will get both, the only question is: which one first?

One more question: would the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 macro be a viable alternative to a Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 prime?

Last edited:
Nikon d50.

just checked, SB600 is around 300EUR, the Metz on sale is less then 100...

Can it work of the camera? Because like I said, I don't know the first thing about flashes :)

And I only have two lenses, kit 18-55, and 50/1.8...
But I could use a good flash for shooting indoors (and outdoors f'kors).
I thought bouncing it of the walls could get me less harsh light...
It won't work off camera without either a radio trigger or a flash cord. :)

Reactions: 47
While my D700 is excellent from beginning to end (the only bad thing I could find as of yet is that the multi-controller button is a tad too flimsy), I just found some interesting facts about the optional battery grip MB-D10.

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2009/08/10/sidebysidewMBD10.jpg
(stolen from dpreview.com: D3 on the left, D700 with MB-D10 on the right, click pic for review)

The grip itself is about 170 Euros. The improved battery life aside, it enables the D700 to do 8 pics a second in continuous shooting mode instead of just 5. As it turns out however, the grip comes without any battery whatsoever. So you either buy another EN-EL3 (identical to the one that came with the camera) for 50 Euros, the bigger EN-EL4 (used in the D3) for 90 Euros or 8 AA-rechargeables for whatever price you find them for. Also, I found out by incident that the improved 8 fps shooting rate only kicks in with the EN-EL4 or the rechargeables. Not to forget that you need the special battery lid BL-3 (22 Euros) and the charger MH-21 (122 Euros) in order to use the EN-EL4.

So basically, in order to use the 8 fps advantage with a Nikon battery, I need to slap 234 Euros on top of the 170 Euro battery grip ... which kind of drove me into ordering 8 AA-Sanyo Eneloops and a charger for 28 Euros. <_<

... but most importantly, I also ordered this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/th/the_interceptor/2009/08/10/vZ0PezdHKuHUGWsqdFuj5Qzy3Y0g6.jpg

:wicked: :drool: :hump:

Random thought: Am I the only one who really doesn't give a toss about it when someone occationally posts more than one image per day in Lens Flair?

It happened again! :?

When I ordered this piece of glass yesterday evening, the availability system of the shop said "short-term available: good is in stock at our field warehouse and can be delivered within 2 to 5 days". When I checked this morning, it suddenly said "good ordered: good unavailable at the moment. Estimated availability is more than 5 days. Ask us for exact dates".

All this internet shopping, as nice as it is in terms of pricing and availability, is total bullcrap when it comes to reliability and service. :mad:

EDIT: okay, I emailed them to determine what's what. They say they will receive a bunch of lenses in 3-5 days. So it's not so bad, given that they speak truth.

Last edited:
It appears that ACR automatically gets rid of hot pixels somehow. My old 300D gets a bazillion hot pixels on long exposures, in Bridge I can see them in the preview for raws but then when I open it all the hot pixels are magically gone. Cool beans.

Definitely some good photos and very good lighting, but I would say she's better at shooting models rather than "people" in general.

Was thinking "Wow, these are some great headshots" until I got to the last three. Lovely work.

Models aren't people, they're models. They are like racing drivers, only not as fast (except Jodie Kidd, of course).

I think I may be buying dark room equipment tomorrow! *cros fingers*

Nice, film developing equipment, or the whole nine yards with an enlarger and whatnot?

Whole nine. I'll need to get chemicals, but its all the equipment for film dev right up to rinsing the paper, dark lights and all. I have the perfect bathroom too! Unfortunately it puts off my purchasing of a stand and umbrellas for getting my strobist on but dark room is fun as shit!

It's gonna be a rush job though. Have to run to the ATM too get the cash then go to the sale to get it (assuming it didn't sell this afternoon) then off to meet some other photographers at 9am to go out to the peninsula to hit up Sol Duc Falls again.

You often see the light in the Dark Room.

Good luck. :)