Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

yes.. it diffuses it a bit.. look at the "hot" spot behind the bag..

Yes, OK, but it's certainly not good enough to bring it to anywhere near an acceptable amount.

Diffusing itself is hardly ever enough. What makes a difference is placing the flash to the side, giving it less flatness.

If you're bouncing, it's also an idea to make yourself a bouncecard.

1. Put flash head up. Turn it to one side so it's got the narrow side facing front

2. Use some duct tape or an elastic band to fix a piece of white paper (a napkin works great) to the back.

3. Bounce away, you'll be amazed.

Softboxes and umbrellas are for when the flash is OFF camera, not when it's ON camera.

:)

Diffusing itself is hardly ever enough. What makes a difference is placing the flash to the side, giving it less flatness.
Yes, of course. Until about 5:00 today, using it on the shoe has been my only option ;)

I know the feeling. Finally getting myself an f/1.4 lens has been a revelation. I just love every single bit of it. I think I'll name the aperture ring James, the bayonet mount Tommy, the front element is George..

In my line of thinking, I'm getting f/1.4 without the drawback of having ONLY the DOF of f/1.4 on a FF body. Sure, it's neat-o, but it's not really what I'd use when I'm in serious mode. And the shallow DOF this lens produces at f/1.4 is plenty for me. I'm no worse off than someone using a 24-70/2.8 on full frame (the 20 extra milimeters make a difference, but not that much, and it's too narrow for most uses indoor and in limited space).

:)

Not necessarily. Depends on what you want.

And check out this home made ring flash. :lol:

diy_ring_flash.jpg

Dang it, I hate when I've envisioned a great idea for a photo but don't have the stones to actually get close enough to make it :(

Enough stones?!

You need a workshop with my old teacher. He'd make you want to make him happy, and you'd do it, and you'd do it in half an hour including post processing.

;)

Welcome to November 13, 2008.

also, the 261 MP brain is super anamorphic, 186x56mm, 3.32:1