Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Hehe.. always funny to wait for the film to develop. And half way through, you start wondering "have it been in the box for 3 or 5 minutes?!" :D

And the chemical fumes man! Only have developed few films when I was in high school (or whatever it was) but I always remember the smell of those chemicals. The darkroom was a really tiny closet with hardly any ventilation of course.

Does anyone have experience with Nissin Di622 flash? Kind of want a flash for my D60, but something like SB-600 is way too expensive for my cheap ass student budget. Could get the Nissin for around 100 eur, which wouldn't be too bad as a Christmas present for myself. :)

Should I?

Last edited:
Don't forget to agitate the dev tank! :p
Oh fuck, I really hate that. You can't do ANYTHING but agitate the bloody tank. Gnarl.

And the chemical fumes man! Only have developed few films when I was in high school (or whatever it was) but I always remember the smell of those chemicals. The darkroom was a really tiny closet with hardly any ventilation of course.
NOt to mention when you got a cold from it.

Only experience I have with Nissin is Cup Noodle related.
Or when people with dyslexia write "Nissan".

What's a cheap way to prepare your camera for low-light photography?

I went out with my D3000 last week, 18-55 VR attached, and it simply would not take a picture without having to use slow shutter speeds, which resulted in blurred pictures. I haven't got a terribly big budget to work with at the moment, which is why I'm asking for a cheap way.

Oh, and I can't use my flash, because it's too direct and ruins the whole effect of the darkness. Maybe a diffuser would solve that?

What's a cheap way to prepare your camera for low-light photography?

I went out with my D3000 last week, 18-55 VR attached, and it simply would not take a picture without having to use slow shutter speeds, which resulted in blurred pictures. I haven't got a terribly big budget to work with at the moment, which is why I'm asking for a cheap way.

Oh, and I can't use my flash, because it's too direct and ruins the whole effect of the darkness. Maybe a diffuser would solve that?

Tripod or some sort of pole or stick sturdy enough for support, if it's not too dark.

You could also try making a small beanbag and use it between your camera and railing/seats/ground/trashbins/whatever and use timer or remote.

Tripod or some sort of pole or stick sturdy enough for support, if it's not too dark.

You could also try making a small beanbag and use it between your camera and railing/seats/ground/trashbins/whatever and use timer or remote.

I tried a tripod, but mine is too tall for some of the pictures I was trying to take.

The small beanbag sounds like it might work though, or I could look for one of those small tripods.

But if there's any motion in the picture, wind moving stuff around, people walking and such, there will be blurred bits.

Last edited:
I tried a tripod, but mine is too tall for some of the pictures I was trying to take.

The small beanbag sounds like it might work though, or I could look for one of those small tripods.

But if there's any motion in the picture, wind moving stuff around, people walking and such, there will be blurred bits.

Go for a even longer exposure so all moving people are only visible as blurry almost ghost like lines.

Or just tell them moving bastards to freeze like sifu suggested.

If you are shooting small things, you could use a torch a tripod and timer.

Get yourself a better tripod or a Nikon 35/1.8 DX.

Bob's your uncle.

Yeah, I said cheap for a reason, the Nikon 35/1.8 is out of my budget as of now, though I do plan to purchase it in the future. I've got a tripod, but as I said, didn't work for some of my shots, too tall.

If you have the money you could upgrade to something that would work.

I have Slik Sprint Pro II with ballhead and you can basically shoot at ground level if you turn the main mast (what would you call it?) upside down. Can recommend, good and light piece of kit.

If you have the money you could upgrade to something that would work.

I have Slik Sprint Pro II with ballhead and you can basically shoot at ground level if you turn the main mast (what would you call it?) upside down. Can recommend, good and light piece of kit.

Not quite sure what you mean by main mast. Is it the pole in the centre?

Edit: Took a look at that tripod, it looks pretty good for this sort of thing, very short when the legs are at their shortest.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean by main mast. Is it the pole in the centre?

Edit: Took a look at that tripod, it looks pretty good for this sort of thing, very short when the legs are at their shortest.

Yes, pole, didn't know what word to use :p. It's made of two pieces and without the upside down trickery you can get the top of the ballhead around 15-20 cm off ground level.

*googles what that is* *oh, that*

I don't know, couldn't you just (assuming you're using photoshop) load all the photos onto one canvas (file > scripts > import to stack), then select all the layers, edit > auto-align layers. Done?

edit: err, set all the layers to X% opacity, THEN you're done

Last edited: