Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

I'll challenge that though and say that 35mm primes are even better for crop cameras. 50 just gets you too close.

Oh you'll certainly get no argument from me about that (I nearly bought the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 while I was in the US). There were a lot of cases where I had to settle for only having heads in the shot because I was already pressed against a wall and couldn't back up anymore, and a particular situation where a gentleman was holding the door open for someone I was filming, and kept it open for me as well, but I couldn't rush forward to walk through the doorway because then I couldn't keep my subjects' bodies within the frame! :lol:

The ultimate video lens for my use would be a prime in the 15-20mm range with a fast aperture, short MFD, silent AF motor, and image stabilization. I have a feeling I might be waiting a while to get a wide lens with that last feature, though...

Last edited:
It's still far too long until the 28th. I can't wait much longer for the D7000, I keep having second thoughts about buying it. :(

Is the GorillaPod any good for in-car use?

Let me answer myself: No, they are no good for inside the car.

In fact, I fail to see how they're that great in general. Sure it's better than nothing, but it's no tripod.

I think 20/22mm gives too much distortion to look natural. I have a 10-22 and even at 22mm it certainly feels "odd". I wouldn't worry too much about image stabilization though, because the wider you go the less pronounced movement becomes. Even on a tripod I can't really shoot video at 200mm because the slightest contact with the camera makes far too much movement in the image. On the other hand at 35mm I can shoot video handheld O.K. (not excellently):

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a good bag that would fit a D40 and 55-300 lens without needing them to be taken apart from each other?

I was eyeing this LowePro which seems pretty nice, other than the stupid design where the camera just hangs off the end. If you look where I circled the camera is just hanging there off the lens when you put the bag upright... doesn't that seem like a stupid design to anyone else?

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/10/14/41dVEMmN1BL._SS400_.jpg

I've never noticed that before, it does seem a bit stupid. I doubt it'd have any effect on the camera or lenses though, even ones with plastic mounts. A mate has the large version of that bag for his 500D and 100-400mm.

Does anyone know of a good bag that would fit a D40 and 55-300 lens without needing them to be taken apart from each other?

I was eyeing this LowePro which seems pretty nice, other than the stupid design where the camera just hangs off the end. If you look where I circled the camera is just hanging there off the lens when you put the bag upright... doesn't that seem like a stupid design to anyone else?

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/sh/shawn/2010/10/14/41dVEMmN1BL._SS400_.jpg

Doesn't really seem that silly; think about it - what does a 1D body hang off when using an L series lens with tripod mount? The lens.

Doesn't really seem that silly; think about it - what does a 1D body hang off when using an L series lens with tripod mount? The lens.

Its designed so that when you unzip it when it's slung over your shoulder, it's very quick to get the camera out of the bag.

It COULD be the whole point. My interpretation of chaos386's post however was that he simply wants to be able to fit people in frame without having to be 20m away from them which a 22mm would do but not without strange looking distortion.

I shot most of my video using the wide end of the 18-55mm kit lens, and didn't really notice all that much distortion. Yes, it would make people's noses look huge when they got right up to the camera, but when they're far enough away to get their whole body in frame, they looked just fine.

The reason I'd like a prime in that range instead of the kit lens is because I could really use a wider aperture for shooting indoors at night, and I didn't really need the telephoto end of the lens.

Wow, lenses are expensive. This is my first camera with an interchangeable lens, and I'm getting a sense of how much I can spend on lenses just to get the flexibility of my old point-and-shoot. I felt the same way when moving from all-season tires to dedicated snows and summers, so I'm sure I'll get over it soon. I'm also discovering the joys of shooting in RAW, and I'm curious how my ancient Canon G2 stacks up against modern systems. Will have to dig it out next time I'm at my parents'.

Wow, lenses are expensive.

Yep, you can spend a small (or large) fortune on good glass. Camera shops know this and most will offer finance. Jessops in this country will do 6 or 12 months at 0% interest if you're spending enough.

Thanks for the reply on the LowePro guys.

I'm not worried about my lenses and camera snapping in half, I know that won't happen. It's more a case of me wanting everything to fit snugly... which I guess is an impossibility unless you get a custom bag made for your gear.

Anyway, I take it the LowePro Slingshots are highly recommended? It seems like lots of folks here know about it.

How about stuffing the empty spot with tissue paper or cloth?

Thought did cross my mind. But you spend $130 on a bag and you'd rather not have to carry around a tube sock to make things fit. :p

On most lowepro bags the inserts are velcro and can be adjusted a certain amount. You'll most likely find that will give enough for you to get it to a snug fit. That was the case with my Off Trail 2 and my Mini Trekker AW at least.

indeed its a "fully" adjustable interior...

I know they are adjustable, but in the case of that specific bag it seems like the dividers are laid out in the most logical/efficient way (for my gear anyway).

At any rate, I went ahead and bought that bag. It was a pretty penny, but I'm hoping this will last me years and years... last time I got stupid and bought a tiny bag to save a few quid, knowing I would soon outgrow it.

I kind of wish I could fit my Manfrotto into the tripod slot, but it's way too heavy. Other than that and the aforementioned problem with the divider placement, it's a really nice bag I think. I just took chaos386's advice and rolled up a towel to make the camera a bit more secure in there.