Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

The Nikon D7200 is the newest Nikon

Nikon D7200 key features
  • 24.2MP CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter
  • Multi-CAM 3500DX II 51-point AF system, all sensitive to -3EV
  • 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor, used for 3D subject tracking in AF-C
  • ISO 100-25,600, with ISO 51,200 and 102,400 black and white modes
  • 6 fps continuous shooting (7 fps in 1.3x crop mode) with increased buffer depth
  • 1/8000 sec maximum shutter speed
  • 3.2", 1.2M dot RGBW LCD display
  • 1080/60p video (1.3x crop only) with clean output over HDMI and Flat Picture Control
  • Dual SD card slots
  • Wi-Fi with NFC
  • Magnesium alloy weather-sealed body

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7200

This should mean that the prices of the D7100 will be going down. Which could tip the scales for me, I've been brainstorming whether or not I should/could buy it.

[h=3]Canon released the EOS 5DS also...

key features
[/h]
  • 50MP CMOS sensor
  • 5fps continuous shooting
  • ISO 100-6400 (Extends to 12,800)
  • 61-point AF module with input from 150k pixel metering sensor
  • Dual Digic 6 processors
  • 3.0" 1.04m dot LCD
  • CF & SD slots (UHS-I compatible)
  • 1080/30p video
  • M-Raw and S-Raw down-sampled formats
  • 30MP APS-H crop and 19.6MP APS-C crop modes
  • USB 3.0 interface
  • First impressions http://www.dpreview.com/previews/ca..._source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Decided to put a new lens on my 'to buy' list, my 55-200mm is ancient and wasn't quite up the job yesterday, plus I've always wanted a lens that does everything.

Anyone have any experience with the Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 VR II?

After picking up this bad boy (https://forums.finalgear.com/photography/your-camera-equipment-5459/page-114/#post2329713), I thought I'd show off some of the shots I got recently with my other cameras :p

Most of them shot in HK, a few of the colour ones shot during my ringmeet trip this summer (although I didn't get good shots during the meet itself).

With my trusty old Oly O-M2 and some Kodak Tri-X 400:

Olympus XA with Kodak Portra 400:

XA with Fuji Pro 400 (JDM film YO!):

I've been trying all kinds of films, to see what I like. I really love the look of Tri-X, and the colours of the Fuji are awesome.

I think I haven't used Portra the way it's meant to be used though, or the scans aren't good, the images have a very pronounced green hue that I'm not in love with. It cleans up ok on the computer (I only posted the originals), but if I have to process it on the computer, it kinds of defeats the purpose of shooting film to me.

Anyway, anybody else shooting film recently? :)

Anyway, anybody else shooting film recently? :)

Nice pictures. :)

Yes, I bought a Canon TLb about 2 years ago and shot 4 rolls of film with it.
First one came out good. It was a nice experience.
Second one came out overexposed because the contact for the light meter was faulty and I kept trying to compensate. :lol:
Third and fourth one came out with nothing because I fucked up film loading. :idiot:

Meanwhile, a friend sent me some assorted films with differents ISOs and I bought a few B&W ones too, so I am still trying out different things but I am liking the experience. :) I just wish it wasn't so damn hard and expensive to get it developed. :(

That's not too bad. In my case it's a solder joint that keeps breaking, and I can't seem to find a lasting fix.

As requested by MXM, here are some of the shots I got from my roll of Fuji Superia X-Tra 400 :)
Note that it's my first roll with this camera and I'm still learning how to use it ^^'

You guys ever had a phase when you feel nothing you shoot is worth saving?
I am not one to try to fix things buying more gear, and lately I've been looking at the pictures I take and I go "nope...nope...crap...blagh...nope..." And I end up deleting 200-300 pictures without even editing them... :|

Don't be to hard to yourself. try yourself out, maybe change the subject you shoot to change things up and have fun again taking pictures.

also this
A-photographers-learning-curve.jpg

Well, it's not uncommon for me to take 1200 images and only end up editing 30 or less. :) I don't have a very good imagination when I'm on scene. So I take many angles. Then, once I get to my computer, I decide what I think is pretty good.

:lol:
I forgot about that image. Thanks. :)

OK so simple question: Am I foolish for wanting a 1X-300mm lens?

Reviews have led me from the Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G to the Sigma 18-300mm Macro and to the Tamron 16-300mm Macro. The general opinion is that they are optically very similar (not great apparently) so the one with the most features and cheapest price wins.

Since getting a DSLR I've had an 18-5Xmm lens and my 55-200mm lens, I now want something with a longer focal length but want to lose the lens swapping.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of selling my Tlb and getting a F1...it looks sooooo good in black.

Here are some random shots from today's day trip to Riga, Latvia. All photos are phone pics, some have been Instagrammed.

9YHad7w.jpg

HIXVVqV.jpg

The central market seen from outside.

B2ahEis.jpg

Inside. So much meat.

Lrk22rp.jpg

Spices!

qdgvmUF.jpg

Sauerkraut!

UFESl2t.jpg

Fishiness

IkbqA9U.jpg