Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456319366.924395.jpg

It's only off my iPhone, but I was working.

lol, i'm an idiot and didn't read the big banner at the top of the page :p

to be clear: i've seen those plugins before, but never bothered to download them because... well... lightroom was fine.

edit: for the hell of it, i've tried most of those out on a few of my older pictures... they do quite a nice job I have to say. so erm, thanks man for bringing that up I guess :thumbsup:

by Max Dern, on Flickr

Last edited:
lol, i'm an idiot and didn't read the big banner at the top of the page :p

to be clear: i've seen those plugins before, but never bothered to download them because... well... lightroom was fine.

edit: for the hell of it, i've tried most of those out on a few of my older pictures... they do quite a nice job I have to say. so erm, thanks man for bringing that up I guess :thumbsup:

by Max Dern, on Flickr

Well, you're wellcome I guess :D
Got a before version of that shot?

Eh, whatever I've done to it with lightroom should be on Flickr as well a few Fotos along...

Tried some "street" photography at the Avocado Festival in Fallbrook today. Yeah, I suck at it. I was too damn timid shooting strangers in this situation. Wielding a 70-200mm didn't help. I felt like everyone was looking at me looking at them. LOL! :lol:

To top it off, I didn't even get a chance to try any of the avocado stuffs. :mad:

Last edited:
I like his lighting setup

I have been using my EOS 400d for about 10 years now, and it is showing some signs of heavy use. To keep my hobby rolling, I have been thinking about buying a new camera and also a new lens to go with it. This far I have managed to get along with 18-55 kit lens along with 10-20 Sigma. I have narrowed my pool of options to two camera & lens combos, which I think offer both good value for money:

-70d & Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM for 999?
-80d & the same Sigma for 1199?

Thus far I'm leaning heavily towards the pricier 80d because it has better dynamic range than 70d. I mostly do landscape photography, and I think I would have use for that extra dynamic range.

Well, at least I think either of those would be a massive improvement over 400d.

Last edited:
80d for sure, 200? is not much for a generation leap.

That's what I thought too. Ordered the 80d, and it was already delivered today. :)

Lol, a couple of months ago, I took this shot 'cause I thought the dude had a cool vehicle. I just noticed he was flipping me off. haha

Last edited:
I've got a question about lenses. I still have my Sony NEX camera with the APS-C crop sensor. Sony has two 50mm/f1.8 lenses. One is FE (full-frame) the other is E (designed for the crop sensor). What is the downside to buying the FE and using it on my camera with a crop sensor? I know it will mount, and the camera will recognize it?

I ask because the FE lens is $169, the E lens is $299.

I've got a question about lenses. I still have my Sony NEX camera with the APS-C crop sensor. Sony has two 50mm/f1.8 lenses. One is FE (full-frame) the other is E (designed for the crop sensor). What is the downside to buying the FE and using it on my camera with a crop sensor? I know it will mount, and the camera will recognize it?

I ask because the FE lens is $169, the E lens is $299.
I'm 99% sure the camera will recognize it. Just know you'll lose image stabilization which could affect your low light shooting. Also, if you use it for videos, it'll be more shaky.

The upside, if you decide to go a A7 series body, you won't have to buy another 50.