Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Well now I get a Master HD error in POST, and the whole computer won't boot.

No matter how I connect the SATA cables none of the drives now work....

Currently running startup repair to see if this helps. This is fucken annoying to say the least since getting a new HD is supposed to be a good thing, not the nightmare that its turning into....

Last edited:
So does anyone know how to recover a RAW partition?

I got the new Caviar black working so I've installed windows again on it, but the old WD 500GB drive now shows up as 2 separate partitions in disk management. One partition is RAW, and the other is unallocated space.

testdisk isn't doing shit either....

Last edited:
The boxed cooler on the socket 1156 might be small, but it's not at all that bad. It cools my i7-860 down to 60-65?C at full load and isn't really loud at all. Only when it was really hot a few weeks ago did I have my thoughts, as the temperatures climbed close to 70?C when playing GTA4:TBoGT... but the heat didn't last.

so nabster tell us: how loud does the stupid boxed cooler get? :p i don't trust the thing... if my 800g of aluminium and copper can only cool my i5-750 down to 60?C (with prime95 that is), how is that TINY thing supposed to do it?
whatever... i like the woot-lights, those are awesome (+rep for that)

also: HOLY MOTHER WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! (your old PC that is... so many cables... damn)

I haven't noticed any major noise at all from it (it idles at a really low wooshing sound, which you can't hear at all if you have music or something playing, and I have the tower sitting on top of the desk right next to me for now), then again I haven't been able to get it to max speed yet because I haven't been able to do anything that maxes the system yet. :lol: Honestly, the 8800GT card in my old desktop makes more noise running at idle then the new computer does total, and the new computer has one 120mm fan and two 140mm fans in addition to the graphics card and cpu fans.

The old desktop is a mess mostly because it started as a slightly customized Gateway unit. I then went a bit mad and put in new graphics, 7.1 surround sound card, more ram, TV tuner, and two additional hard drives. It wasn't really ever designed for the user to do much and the tower had zero cable management built in. If you look closely, I have wires twist tied together for at least some control.

With that cooler cover on there it is not that important. It helps direct the air out of the case so there is always good air movement.

It's amazing how well it works, that picture was after I spent 5 minutes vacuuming out the dust that was in there though. Never had a problem with overheating in the 5 years I've had that old one. It ran fairly hot, but never overheating.

Nabster your PC is so tidy, and how many HDDs is that? :p

The new one has three in it now (2.6TB currently), space for 3 more.

Anyone have a method for testing the system? I can't think of anything that would actually tax the processor and/or graphics. Maybe just a program that would crank up all the fans to max? I don't have any games other than The Sims 3 though, and this computer laughs at that, so I don't think games would work.

Anyone have a method for testing the system? I can't think of anything that would actually tax the processor and/or graphics. Maybe just a program that would crank up all the fans to max? I don't have any games other than The Sims 3 though, and this computer laughs at that, so I don't think games would work.

All that performance and.....sims??

:hammer:

Last edited:
Not interested in shoot-em-up games, so that discounts about 90% of games right there.

Media. The main point was so I could do such ridiculous things as play 5 different 1080 rips of Top Gear at the same time. The secondary point was that I could still be using said computer 5+ years down the line.

I ended up using WeGame for video capture, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. It had virtually no effect on the game itself, and that says something becuase this laptop is not exactly a powerhouse. The youtube upload made it look terrible, but the local version looks fine.

EDIT: I am REALLY disappointed in how it looks on youtube. Was there some setting I didn't see to make it not suck? This was my first time uploading.

Last edited:
If you just uploaded it, youtube did a really quick low quality encode. Give it a few hours (or overnight or something) to do it properly and the quality jumps up. Of course, final quality depends on the resolution of the video you uploaded.

Good to know. The file was a 640x400 mp4 @~3Mb/s, so hopefully it'll turn out well.

EDIT: Just made another video, but used WeGame to upload it to their site. This is much simpler, and I won't have to worry about the video being pulled for have "Sony copyrighted material" or some such nonsense.

[video]http://www.wegame.com/watch/audiosurf-ensiferum-blood-is-the-price-of-glory/[/video]

MOAR EDIT: Boo, video embed doesn't work.

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2010/08/14/81410ssds800.jpg

A few years ago, I specced out a bunch of PCs, Alienware, Voodoo, etc., and Mac Pro one the most expensive contest by thousands :lol:

To be fair it's a professional grade server at that point but still, they charge rediculous amounts for stupid little stuff to get it up that far. Quad SLI Geforce GT120s? WTF is that? Just use a more powerful card!

It's for multiple screens you goose. A mac pro is a workstation and the other ones you listed are gaming machines.

I'm loving my new Razer Goliathus mousemat, well worth the money I spent.