Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Managed to get the 5.1 audio going, now I gotta make the front headphone input work.

For shits and giggles:

http://img228.imageshack.**/img228/3381/weis.png

Such a screamer of a computer.../sarcasm :p

Last edited:
A little while ago my phone took a trip into some concrete after falling from my pocket. I didn't think anything of it at the time, just a bit of cosmetic damage.

The problem is that it's entirely broken the vibrate function on the phone, I rely on the vibrate function. This happened weeks ago and I'm still wondering why I'm getting missed calls and texts.

Does anyone happen to know if the Nokia C5-00 uses a vibrating battery? If so all my worries can be forgotten!

Why on earth would a phone, or anything for that matter, have a vibrating battery?

Why on earth would a phone, or anything for that matter, have a vibrating battery?

My Nokia 5110 had a vibrating battery as an optional extra. It didn't have a vibrate function out of the box though.

I don't think any phone has those anymore.

How would I go about simulating a perforated screen in Photoshop CS4? I'm making a wireframe of a speaker cabinet in Photoshop so I can play with colors as I'm having it custom-made. I want to re-create the speaker grill screen so that I can see the speaker and speaker baffle through the screen. Specifically trying to re-create this:
112v.jpg

112v-closeup-large-2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I MacGuyver-ed a solution. Used a tutorial I found that uses a Sketch filter to make lines, pasted a 90* rotated set of lines over the other to make a grid. Then I selected the black grid, inverse-selected the white open squares, feathered the selection, and cleared out the new rounder-but-not-quite-round openings. Then, I slide one row over 1/2 hole, copied-and-pasted the two lines until I got 4 staggered lines, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V until I had 8, then 16, then 32, etc. Close enough.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."

So following up on my computer troubles...

I didn't reformat because at this point I'm pretty damn sure it's not an OS thing, it's acting up sometimes way before the OS even loads.

Last night the computer froze, I restarted but it gave me that message about a messed up boot disk. I figure maybe the MBR has gone bad or something so I pop in the Windows CD to try and see if the repair option can get my OS back up and running. But to my surprise the Windows installer couldn't find any Windows installations, and as I found out it hadn't even recognized a hard drive in the machine.

At this point I think I'm screwed with the hard drive having gone kaput... but after frantically rebooting a few times it loaded back into Windows normally (well not entirely normally, with the graphics glitches still happening) without any sort of error message.

Now, this turn of events has me confused. On the hand I think okay, it's definitely the motherboard because different parts of the computer are acting up at different times so it could be the thing that brings them all together that has gone bad. But on the other hand I think maybe it's purely a faulty hard drive, and the video problems are occurring because the relevant files reside in the part of the hard drive? Or are video drivers always solely loaded into the RAM?

So following up on my computer troubles...

I didn't reformat because at this point I'm pretty damn sure it's not an OS thing, it's acting up sometimes way before the OS even loads.

Last night the computer froze, I restarted but it gave me that message about a messed up boot disk. I figure maybe the MBR has gone bad or something so I pop in the Windows CD to try and see if the repair option can get my OS back up and running. But to my surprise the Windows installer couldn't find any Windows installations, and as I found out it hadn't even recognized a hard drive in the machine.

At this point I think I'm screwed with the hard drive having gone kaput... but after frantically rebooting a few times it loaded back into Windows normally (well not entirely normally, with the graphics glitches still happening) without any sort of error message.

Now, this turn of events has me confused. On the hand I think okay, it's definitely the motherboard because different parts of the computer are acting up at different times so it could be the thing that brings them all together that has gone bad. But on the other hand I think maybe it's purely a faulty hard drive, and the video problems are occurring because the relevant files reside in the part of the hard drive? Or are video drivers always solely loaded into the RAM?

I would probably try a new hard drive first. If you don't already have another one, just buy one and if it wasn't the problem you'll have a backup drive.