Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I've just cleaned a lot of dust out of the fans in my laptop... small wonder it was running a little hot. It was going to be bad anyway, but that bad?! :blink:

Yeah, the GPU situation is a downer, but since I don't game business laptops work. :D Sucks about your dad's latitude, probably a E6400/E6410..i'll agree those are kinda crap lol.

Thank god I'm not the only person who thinks that!!!! :lol:

Mind you, out of the 3 computers currently in my possession, it is really the only one working at the moment (ignoring the thrashing HDD)- managed to yet again put a virus on the netbook!!! Think it's Linux time for me....

Oh, and I officially hate on-screen keyboards now, yet I love my touchscreen on my phone. Gaaah, can't wait for the next Blackberries to come out!!! :S

Yeah, the GPU situation is a downer, but since I don't game business laptops work. :D Sucks about your dad's latitude, probably a E6400/E6410..i'll agree those are kinda crap lol.

He didn't pay for it so he don't care much :p I don't game a whole lot either but I REALLY wanted to play StarCraft2 :D
When the hell did Vista get 20 percent market share? And that's current too, was probably higher before.
OEM installs for the most part. Gotta keep in mind most people don't buy OS's outside of computers. Also some companies upgraded to Vista and those are huge volume licenses, although it seems most went XP>7.

Last edited:
OEM installs for the most part. Gotta keep in mind most people don't buy OS's outside of computers. Also some companies upgraded to Vista and those are huge volume licenses, although it seems most went XP>7.

D'oh, totally forgot about OEMs. I think that's probably most of it, I think most companies steered well clear of Vista.

Should I be worried about the coil noise from my GTX 560? Also, cleaned the front air filter on my case today, I'll need to put one on my side as well.

Should I be worried about the coil noise from my GTX 560? Also, cleaned the front air filter on my case today, I'll need to put one on my side as well.

i don't think so, read tons of reports of coil noise from nvidia cards (older models though, don't know about the 560), nothing related to any of them failing or catching fire or anything.

So I'm teaching myself on how to use 3DS Max 2011. I have some prior experience, and the local community college uses the same version.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should also take on Softimage 2012.

Aaaargh.

I'm trying to learn 3DS Max. I hate it.

I'm trying to learn 3DS Max. I hate it.

It's not the best UI for such a program, isn't it?

Still better than Blenders', though. That's part of the reason why I decided to try 3DS Max again.

I just reran my windows performance index and for some reason my memory scored lower despite having better timings.

score.png

I just reran my windows performance index and for some reason my memory scored lower despite having better timings.

Your memory speed is rather irrelevant as long as you're relying on a spinning metal disk for your data.

I SO wanted to build something like that for an HTPC, but I chickened out...

When the hell did Vista get 20 percent market share? And that's current too, was probably higher before.

He didn't pay for it so he don't care much :p I don't game a whole lot either but I REALLY wanted to play StarCraft2 :D

I just (as in a few min ago) installed Windows Vista as a quick way to get my machine up and running until I can get 7 back on it. I gotta say, I'm still not seeing the hate for it. And this is Vista before any service packs. the machine boots fast, all my devices were detected-handy because my driver's DVD is at home, and it feels pretty responsive.

I will say I miss the convience features of 7 like the taskbar pinning and Aero Snap, so I think that mostly Vista suffered from a perception issue. A few bad experiences that people had, either due to just crap hardware coming with it, (blame MS and Intel for that- MS caved to Intel's desire to clear out old chipset inventory..lesson learned there) manufacturer installed bloatware, (hello Sony and HP...the most egregious offenders in this regard...) or third party hardware makers who didn't get their shit together (Hi nvidia...) caused many to sour on Vista due to word of mouth.

Add in what I like to call "The Apple effect" (how one thing Apple does, seemingly ends up shaping the entire industry...) with their hip, catchy, adverts, and it was the nail in Windows Vista's coffin from a consumer goodwill perspective.