Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

You could probably find a 1GB ATI 4890 for about that price, but if that is too much, a 4870 is likely also a good bet. (HIS sells one that is apparently somewhat faster than a stock clock 260).

Also, whatever card you get, I seriously recommend picking up a new power supply along with it. Your current one may provide enough power, but some extra headroom can't hurt. ATI recommends 500W for the 4890, and I've also seen vendors GTX 260s specifying that, but I've also seen requirements of at least 630W for the Nvidia card. Make sure, it has plenty of amperage on the 12V rail(s). (The GTX requires 36 amps, I'm not sure about the ATI cards)

People massively overkill on power supplies. 500W is more than enough to run any single video card system. I'm running a 4890 on 500W right now! Plus Antec is a great brand.

EDIT: Of course, check the 12V rails, but it should be enough on an Antec.

Win 7 for cheap

Also, does anyone know how I can get my PS2 steering wheel to work with my Vista desktop?

I have this wheel:

2709.jpg

Logitech driving force pro

Last edited:
That one is wired.

Maybe wireless for a new one?

I don't want to spend too much money on this. Preferably, I'd get something that will work with PC and PS3.

Last edited:
Yeah, everytime I try to install that I just end up getting a BSOD after it begins to detect for the wheel.

I asked because wired controllers should work fine with the right drivers, but wireless needs a dongle. I don't know, is there even a PC dongle for playstation controllers? I know there's one for 360 controllers.

Yep, 32-bit Vista driver from the website.

I'm so fucken sick of Asus's shit I will never buy a laptop from them ever again. I've had to recover my recently serviced laptop several times now, and I can't even activate windows even though its an OEM copy. The fucken POS came back with bits not installed properly, and I'm just really fucken fed up with it right now since I actually do need my laptop fully functioning to do uni work :mad:

I know I've been ranting on about my laptop for a while now, but I'm just really, really frustrated.

I thought ASUS was supposed to have some of the best customer service around?

If you're getting a BSOD after plugging it in, the drivers are wrong. I've had this happen before with a Logitech joystick. Never had any problems with the drivers on my DFP on XP though.

If you need it fully functioning and keep having problems, why not use another PC for gaming and leave this one just for work instead of trying to get hardware working that could cause more problems?

Nah, I wasn't really expecting it to work since its a PS2 wheel.

Not going to try too hard to get it working.

I thought ASUS was supposed to have some of the best customer service around?

I thought so too, which is why this whole experience is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth.

Ugh, Firefox caused 3 different types of crashes in the last few minutes on my netbook, and it's been running really slow. Now that I'm getting BSODs and "Windows has encountered a serious error and will shut down in 1 minute" I finally broke down and got Opera.

Interface is confusing as hell at first but it performs very nicely. Any tips on making the toolbars take up less screenspace? I had a great Firefox theme (Classic compact) that basically just shrunk everything but kept it functional. Screen space is at a premium at 1024 x 600 and Opera takes a bit too much for my liking...

EDIT: Oh look, lots and lots of custom skins. And a "small" tag.

Last edited:
So, after being transfered between twenty billion different Asus and Microsoft departments today, I ended up having to drive all the way out to the freakin Asus service center again.

Words cannot express how furious I was at the poor tech guy on the other side of the phone. And the extremely rude Microsoft support guys.

I think I'm almost ready to give up with this laptop. Especially now that refurb Macbook prices have dropped.

My other possible option is the Acer timeline 4810T. ULV C2D, 8 hrs battery life, lightweight and cheap.

Acer-Timeline-4810T_1.jpg

Acer, when that gets Win 7, consider yourself having a new customer.

Last edited:
Even though I have a Nokia N97, I'm still thinking of forking out $650 to order this new N900 flagship phone.

Very hard to decide... A lot of money for not much of an upgrade, but the new linux os and the spec is just amazing. I really want one.

Acer, when that gets Win 7, consider yourself having a new customer.

It ships with Vista, so you can get a Win7 upgrade for teh cheap (just S&H, mostly 20-30 $) from Acer as soon as it comes out.

Yeah, but I might as well just wait till Win 7 is officially released and get it then.

I CBF downloading and installing a million drivers later on.

Number of drivers I had to manually install on my desktop: 0
Number of drivers I had to manually install on my netbook: 1 (for some special function keys on the keyboard and on-screen volume indicator)

Anyone know of a chain store that carries these?

COS118.jpg

At an inexpensive price? I was thinking Radioshack or some little electronics store. I'm buying a pair of $23 Logitech 2.1s and need one to hook up my 360.

Anyone know of a chain store that carries these?

COS118.jpg

At an inexpensive price? I was thinking Radioshack or some little electronics store. I'm buying a pair of $23 Logitech 2.1s and need one to hook up my 360.

Wherever did you get that idea :rolleyes:

I think you said you already have a converter from RCA? In that case my local Target had a couple of RCA female to female for like $2.50, which is what I use (I was working there at the time).

These would work but wow, that's overpriced:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2477686

EDIT:
That's better:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2407260

EDIT EDIT:
And finally, what you are actually looking for, but the other one was cheaper
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102697

TRIPLE EDIT: D'OH, only that last one isn't online-only. But you get the idea. Radioshack will have one or the other.

Last edited: