Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I love it when things like (non USB) speakers or headphones say things like "Plug-and-Play!"

OT i know..
I never understood the point of USB speakers, i mean if your machine has USB chances are high it has a 3.5mm audio jack on it somewhere right?? Two of my 90's era desktops used USB speakers (included in the package) and i was like :blink:

OT i know..
I never understood the point of USB speakers, i mean if your machine has USB chances are high it has a 3.5mm audio jack on it somewhere right?? Two of my 90's era desktops used USB speakers (included in the package) and i was like :blink:

its usb because some computers don't have soundcard or doens't have enought good soundcard, so the the speakers use usb soundcards to create your sounds.

Hmmm, iPhone 3GS 16GB or Motorola Milestone (aka Droid).....decisions decisions....

Managed to put a deposit on a Milestone today (Phone was officially announced on Monday. Most stores in HK are either sold out or have jacked the price up), so I had all of today to think about it.

I'm attracted to the plethora of apps (especially once jailbroken) and 3rd party accessories for the iPhone 3GS, but its very pricey (5400HKD VS 4680HKD). However, as I'm not on a data plan back in Australia, I'm getting the feeling I'll probably be able to take advantage of the iPhone's OS much better than Android, and not to mention I already have a MB Pro, so it seems a natural couple. My uncle has also been having RAM allocation issues with his iPhone 3G.

Android will probably handle word documents, etc, much better than iPhone, and I'm attracted to the Milestone's no-nonsense styling and hardware keyboard. It just seems to me Android still hasn't quiet fully matured yet though...

Last edited:
Word/Office/pdf documents are handled just fine on the iPhone... If you want the ease of finding new apps - without spending years searching - then atleast I know what I'd get.

OT i know..

One word: crosstalk. It's HORRIBLE on onboard soundcards, having a USB set completely eliminates that.

Also, especially on a laptop, the speakers are probably powered by USB so there's a (small) amplifier compared to passive speakers...at least that would make sense to me...

I'm 1000 miles from home, on the internet on my laptop via my Droid, and downloading QI. I think I'm spoiled.

Any suggestions on an internal hard drive around the ~1TB size? I'm utterly worthless when it comes to computer hardware.

^Is it for your OS or for general storage purposes? (In other words, does it need to be fast?)

pretty much just file dump and picture backup.

Bought a gaming mouse. :)

MS Sidewinder X3, it's pretty entry level mouse, but for $20, it's not bad at all. I'm much more precise now on L4D2.

http://img189.imageshack.**/img189/7546/newbitmapimage2w.jpg

XBMC 9.11 released. Unfortunately, still no hardware acceleration in Windows, but it's supposedly coming soon. If it had a torrent client built in, preferably with a webUI, I'd just install Linux and enjoy some VDPAU goodness.

My Windows 7 won't read external USB storage correctly. Data such as pictures and audio from my external HDD are garbled and/or corrupted, and my CF card reader crashes it altogether.
Why might this be? It's running 64-bit Windows and all the media are FAT32, and they all work fine on both XP and Ubuntu Karmic on my other computers...

EDIT: nvm, fix'd. Used a PCI USB card.

Last edited:
Argh. iMac or Macbook Pro (whatever they release next month). Can't decide. The only game I play is much these days is Civ 4.

What sizes were you thinking?

The 27" with the Radeon 4850 and i5.

And which MBP?

No idea. Depends on what they release. 13" most likely.