Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It'd be nice to have a HUD that doesn't look like it came from the 80's.

What's the point? It might be a cool effect, but I don't really see why would that help with anything. It would probably get annoying real soon.

You're driving at night, and it's foggy out. The fog is so thick that you can't see a damn thing out there. However, your car has a series of radar sensors that can peer through the fog and determine the position and rough shape of objects on the road. It projects this onto a transparent screen on the windshield, and uses a camera inside the cabin to track your eyes so it knows where to position the objects on the screen, so that they're overlaid where they would be from your point of view.

BAM! Average length X-ray vision.

Last edited:
Ok so my router at home is royally pissing me off... It's a Telus 2Wire G2700 something or other and it just isn't working properly...

Other than the fact that the wireless is cutting all the time, I'm also trying to do some port forwarding to make a number of services available on Internet, every settings are correctly configured in this POS router but it still doesn't work :-(

Looking at the network setup in itself though, I don't thing it is too surprising... We have an ADSL modem, some Alcatel Speedtouch, it's just a modem, not a router, remember that. Then it is connected to a switch, which seems odd, a modem is only supposed to provide one IP address to one piece of equipment so why a switch? It's because it's connected to the router AND the Digital TV box thingy! How is that even working? It's witchcraft! How does the TV box gets anything from the modem when the router already has the only IP address it's supposed to be giving?

So in the end I'm even afraid to touch anything, just in case nothing would work anymore, I don't know which Telus ape went install this but it most definitely doesn't look right to me.

^As awesome as that is on so many levels, I can only see it getting accidentally thrown in the trash right before that big presentation.

Due to the amazing amount of useless whatnot available on the internet, I ran into comcast's 250gb/month limit. No, wait, better word. I decimated it. Total usage (up and down) for December: 1156gb. That's 1.55gb per hour. Every hour.

Anywho, they say if I do it again, I lose my internet for a year :cry:, is there anything I can to to monitor how much internet I've used? I checked the firmware on my router, but Netgear didn't include anything of use. I'm thinking... something based locally on my pc, rather than covering the whole network.

Well... not exactly. That counts downloads and uploads (p2p), and last month I seeded verrry generously. There actually isn't any added cost - it just breaks their "Acceptable use policy" or whatever. I'm proud and ashamed.

^Would it work on any version of the WRT54GL? Like... could I just buy one off of newegg and the reflash would work?

Due to the amazing amount of useless whatnot available on the internet, I ran into comcast's 250gb/month limit. No, wait, better word. I decimated it. Total usage (up and down) for December: 1156gb. That's 1.55gb per hour. Every hour.

Anywho, they say if I do it again, I lose my internet for a year :cry:, is there anything I can to to monitor how much internet I've used? I checked the firmware on my router, but Netgear didn't include anything of use. I'm thinking... something based locally on my pc, rather than covering the whole network.

Do tomato or log onto comcast.net and see if their bandwidth monitor tool is ready yet. I'm surprised you haven't noticed any slowdown in web speeds due to Comcast's usage based internet content throttling.

*Thanks his lucky stars he's on FiOS*

:shakefist:

But yeah, tomato sounds like a superb idea.

^Would it work on any version of the WRT54GL? Like... could I just buy one off of newegg and the reflash would work?

As long as you make sure it has the 'L', then yes. The WRT54GL was specifically made to run custom firmware*, after they changed the hardware inside the v5 version of the normal WRT54G.

EDIT: Tomato is indeed awesome. I used the QoS feature when a friend of mine was staying over so that it would automatically throttle his torrents if I had my own going. :thumbsup:

*i.e. it's a rebranded v4 WRT54G, so it has the better specs and Linux-based firmware.

Last edited:

Have a gadget

http://addgadget.com

My WD Green 1TB (WD10EARS) drive arrived today. This is their first 4k sector drive, 64mb cache and possibly using two 500GB platters (instead of three 333GB platters like in the WD10EADS). So far the performance is really good for a 5400rpm drive. It's only slightly slower than my WD Black 640GB, but it runs much cooler.

http://img192.imageshack.**/img192/2305/55137206.jpg

What is the best windows bit torrent client? I haven't actually used torrents on windows before I don't think because of viruses but it would be nice to shut off my laptop occasionally. The one I use on mac hilariously comes in everything BUT windows.

Last edited:
utorrent is good for windows.

I use transmission in mac.

?torrent is the best client for windows.

?torrent Beta is the best client for mac.