Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Thats good to know. I don't do any heavy lifting either. The most stress I put on the MacBook is Chrome with 6-10 tabs, Spotify, Mail, Twitter, BeerSmith 2, and Microsoft Office open all at the same time.

Sounds like a normal use case for me, minus BeerSmith 2, plus QLab and Sound Studio with some short sound clips.

I would buy the 8GB version mostly because I can (you can't upgrade, so don't cheap out here) but in all honesty I think 4GB will serve me well for a couple years more. Especially with the faster SSD the modern MacBooks have.

I'm going to keep this until the Air lineup gets Retina displays. It needs a new battery soonish though.

Phila,

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573

Thanks for all the input guys. Still torn though.

It's really going to come down to whether I want to pay the extra $160 for the 8gb version. I'm sure the 4gb will be fine for now but I don't think I would be able to keep it for 7 years like this MacBook.

I was introduced to a very peculiar security technology today.

To log into this bank's website, a small device that looks like a calculator (one of those really small and thin ones that can only do addition/multiplication) is required.

On the website you enter your username (email) and it then proceeds to the next screen which prompts you for a security code. You then enter a predetermined, 6-digit pin into the little calculator device and press a button. A string of numbers is created and you enter that into the website to log in.

This string of numbers seems to be randomly generated and are different every time, the only constants being your pin and your username. So what kind of sorcery is going on in the device which doesn't seem to have wireless connectivity and is very thin that allows it to generate these security codes?

To log into this bank's website, a small device that looks like a calculator (one of those really small and thin ones that can only do addition/multiplication) is required.

On the website you enter your username (email) and it then proceeds to the next screen which prompts you for a security code. You then enter a predetermined, 6-digit pin into the little calculator device and press a button. A string of numbers is created and you enter that into the website to log in.

This string of numbers seems to be randomly generated and are different every time, the only constants being your pin and your username. So what kind of sorcery is going on in the device which doesn't seem to have wireless connectivity and is very thin that allows it to generate these security codes?

Sounds like an authenticator dongle, similar to SecurID. The devices are just pseudorandom number generators, generating numbers according to an algorithm. If you know the "starting number" (the serial number of the dongle, IIRC), you can accurately predict what numbers will be produced (so no communication with the device is required), but if you don't, you can't. Each device has a different starting number, so the numbers produced can be used to determine the authenticity of the device. The PIN code sounds like an extra layer of security, in case the physical device is stolen.

Yup, my office does this when they get checks from companies. It's strange but I guess it's secure. :dunno:

Sounds like an authenticator dongle, similar to SecurID. The devices are just pseudorandom number generators, generating numbers according to an algorithm. If you know the "starting number" (the serial number of the dongle, IIRC), you can accurately predict what numbers will be produced (so no communication with the device is required), but if you don't, you can't. Each device has a different starting number, so the numbers produced can be used to determine the authenticity of the device. The PIN code sounds like an extra layer of security, in case the physical device is stolen.

So the device is linked to the account then? Otherwise it wouldn't know what the starting number would be right?

Last edited:
uh, i wasn't aware this existed. much more convenient than having to wait for a god damn text message every time...

Thanks for all the input guys. Still torn though.

It's really going to come down to whether I want to pay the extra $160 for the 8gb version. I'm sure the 4gb will be fine for now but I don't think I would be able to keep it for 7 years like this MacBook.
If you are going for the "legacy" (aka non retina) MBP then you can save some money by going 4 now and upgrading later if you decide you need more.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess, HSBC?

If you are going for the "legacy" (aka non retina) MBP then you can save some money by going 4 now and upgrading later if you decide you need more.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess, HSBC?

Is that legacy mbp still worth it though? (I'm looking at you, educational focused MBP 13)

The 3rd gen core processors and integrated graphics just screams dated.

As for the 15 inch, what would be the oldest you'd recommend: my coworker just upgraded to a 2011 model and I was shocked given the system's age.

Is that legacy mbp still worth it though? (I'm looking at you, educational focused MBP 13)

The 3rd gen core processors and integrated graphics just screams dated.

As for the 15 inch, what would be the oldest you'd recommend: my coworker just upgraded to a 2011 model and I was shocked given the system's age.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I mainly use mine for browsing the web and watching YouTube, so the only thing I'm really taxing is memory. If you expect to be doing some serious development where you will compile big projects you may want some more grunt. I would say the oldest you should get is the gen right before the last gen that is supported by Yosemite, just so that you know you will still be supported by the next OS release.

I thought thats how ALL ebanking is done nowadays? Ive been doing it like that for years.

Also the battery in those things works on happy thoughts. Had mine for 8 years and counting...

Looking at one as well. The only ones who even approach my budget are the Gainward, Palit (same thing) or Zotac. Sub ?300.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. I mainly use mine for browsing the web and watching YouTube, so the only thing I'm really taxing is memory. If you expect to be doing some serious development where you will compile big projects you may want some more grunt. I would say the oldest you should get is the gen right before the last gen that is supported by Yosemite, just so that you know you will still be supported by the next OS release.

Noted! Thank ya!