Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I may have used the wrong word, I just wanted to see what kind of max temperatures the components will reach if they are under full load and when the top fan kicks in. 90% of the time the components are idle so usually the intake fan spins at 500-600 rpm and top fan is off altogether. After an hour of full load the temperatures settled just under 80?C so I'm satisfied with the setup.

That would be a stress test.

Yeah some Lenovo stuff is picky when it comes to drivers esp around power management.

I don't know if ThinkVantage Tools work on the Yogas but if so, Lenovo System Update should find the drivers and other shit you need.

My work Thinkpad decided that video output was no longer necessary once Windows was booted. Finally fixed it by reinstalling both (Intel and Nvidia) video drivers in safe mode. This laptop is a beast on paper but it's had its fair share of reliability issues.

Not sure if this goes here, but I don't know where else..

Am I the only one annoyed by the latest "improvements" to embedded YouTube videos?

- pause causes an overlay showing suggested videos, blocking half the fucking screen
- videos embedded (like here in the forum) now have this stupid little circle pulsate going all "LOOK AT ME I AM A VIDEO" in the top left corner now for a couple of seconds..

I just don't even why the fuck these were implemented... I guess it is time to start using stupid software and scripts and shit and bloat my browser just to use YT efficiently..

My work Thinkpad decided that video output was no longer necessary once Windows was booted. Finally fixed it by reinstalling both (Intel and Nvidia) video drivers in safe mode. This laptop is a beast on paper but it's had its fair share of reliability issues.

This is why I opted against them when looking for a new machine, also ewww Windows.

Played some games in 8K today: http://imgur.com/a/qD9aC

Surprisingly playable... console tier framerates, with 16X the resolution. :lol:

Everything else sucks though. It does make my machine very laggy, which leads me to believe there's some fillrate or CPU bottleneck or something... even Windows feels laggy.

Had to jump through some hoops to get DSR to work... my display reports cinema 4K as the highest supported resolution, so of course 4X DSR results in 8192 x 4320. Not 7680 x 4320 which is the actual supported DSR res. At the former, the image is stretched and I can't have 60Hz. So, had to tweak the Windows registry to remove the useless cinema 4K resolution before it worked.

If I'm really honest, I can't tell much difference in picture quality (aliasing and level of detail mostly) between 4K and 8K. Maybe it requires an actual 8K display... or maybe I don't know where to look (I guess shadow sampling and stuff like that might look better at 8K but I missed it)...

Played some games in 8K today: http://imgur.com/a/qD9aC

Surprisingly playable... console tier framerates, with 16X the resolution. :lol:

Everything else sucks though. It does make my machine very laggy, which leads me to believe there's some fillrate or CPU bottleneck or something... even Windows feels laggy.

Had to jump through some hoops to get DSR to work... my display reports cinema 4K as the highest supported resolution, so of course 4X DSR results in 8192 x 4320. Not 7680 x 4320 which is the actual supported DSR res. At the former, the image is stretched and I can't have 60Hz. So, had to tweak the Windows registry to remove the useless cinema 4K resolution before it worked.

If I'm really honest, I can't tell much difference in picture quality (aliasing and level of detail mostly) between 4K and 8K. Maybe it requires an actual 8K display... or maybe I don't know where to look (I guess shadow sampling and stuff like that might look better at 8K but I missed it)...

Part of it is the lack of real resolution, but even then the improvements will probably be quite small.

No, 8K won't be a big improvement for games, but very small text will be so much better.

I just thought of a method of protecting your data if you have to enter a password: what about having two passwords for the same account?
- A relatively easy/weak one which you can give to the authorities if you are pressured into it or which hackers can hack, but if you login with that there is only fake data
- A strong one which reveals the real data to you

It doesn't have to be a password either, you can do that with thumbprints as well: if you use your right thumb the information you can access is different to the information you can access with your left thumb.

Of course, the software/website/whatever has to offer that kind of setting, but that could be a pretty good way to protect your valuable data...

Not bad... with the thumbprint I'd probably mess up though. And as soon as such services emerge, authorities etc. would make you use all your fingers... proper protection would be to use the pinky :p

Or your toes.... Toeprints work too I'm told.... But it's a hassle to take off your shoes and socks everytime you want to unlock your phone

I just thought of a method of protecting your data if you have to enter a password: what about having two passwords for the same account?
- A relatively easy/weak one which you can give to the authorities if you are pressured into it or which hackers can hack, but if you login with that there is only fake data
- A strong one which reveals the real data to you

It doesn't have to be a password either, you can do that with thumbprints as well: if you use your right thumb the information you can access is different to the information you can access with your left thumb.

Of course, the software/website/whatever has to offer that kind of setting, but that could be a pretty good way to protect your valuable data...

Deniable encryption. TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt let you encrypt a drive with two passwords, one for the "normal" volume and one for the "hidden" volume. They're both written to sequentially, but starting from opposite ends of the drive, so as long as you leave enough free space in each one, they can both coexist. It's supposedly mathematically impossible to prove the existence of a hidden volume if you don't have the password for it.

Option C that apparently does work is one's penis.

Make what you will of that knowledge
With that method approximately half of the world's population would be discriminated against so you can't do that because equal rights yadda yadda...

I'm never borrowing your phone.

Ever. :eek:

Don't worry, I use a PIN lock. Prints of any sort are too weak or impractical to use 300 times a day.

With that method approximately half of the world's population would be discriminated against so you can't do that because equal rights yadda yadda...

I have been told that nipples also work...

I use no lock.
Hell, even swipe to unlock annoys me

Work mandates 10 digit pin on phones. I'd go mad had they not allowed us to use fingerprints.

I use no lock.

I miss that on the phone. The "press home to unlock" makes me want to stab the button really hard because it feels like a clunky motion over just sliding.

I use no lock.

I was pretty much the same till fingerprint locks came along. They are secure and convenient enough to use them daily. By the time I pull my phone out of the pocket it will be unlocked and ready to go.

I can't wait to throw this IPad (Pro 9.7) down the stairs... because as much as I love it, 32gb is ridiculous.
10.5 iPad Pro 2 should be announced next week.

Going to have to use my 'product insurance' sooner than I thought.