Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'm starting to massively dislike the touchbar on the MBPs, for one it's stupid easy to accidentally touch the fucking thing and change something you didn't mean to change. For two it requires focus on the app to work, as an example I can't use A/V controls if Spotify is running in the background, I also have yet to see any benefit of it existing.

I can think of one. Much more granular volume controls. For another, I really like that some apps, like Zoom, have implemented their interface controls on it. very useful for when you want to quickly mute yourself instead of pressing a hotkey or moving the mouse to mute and clicking it.

Yes I spend a lot of time in meetings.

I don't find volume control to be all that granular tbh, or my ears don't care.

I use zoom quite a bit myself, have yourself muted and hold space bar when you talk, much easier and better than the touchbar.

I bought a used Apple Watch last year. Brand new in opened box, buyers remorse, that sort of thing. It was too good a deal to pass up even though Rose Gold isn't really my thing. I've been wearing it with the default pinkish velcro sport loop it came with.

I got a cheap brown leather strap for it the other week and you can't even tell the watch itself Rose Gold anymore, it just looks gold on my wrist now. Color matching, how does it work?

If you’re unsure how to help during the health crisis that is Corona, install Folding @ Home as they’re using it to help with corona virus. It’s a system set up by Stanford University and normally they are using it to compute math for cancer and Alzheimer’s cures. Right now there’s not a category for the covid-19 but they’re working on it. For the moment, set to “any.” According to the school, they’ve prioritized the covid-19 virus in the group.

Update here: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

Last edited:
Installed that on both of my machines. Don't want to stress the cooling on the server too much but it runs 24/7 so hopefully that makes up for it.

To those looking for software for photo editing, vector creation or desktop publishing, Affinity is currently doing a Covid-19 sale. Everything is half off. I picked up the entire suite for my computer at home for $75. - https://affinity.serif.com/

Now I finally own the iOS versions I’ve been wanting but not really needing. Thanks!

Did my bi-annual computers clean today, partly because it was something to do and partly because the occasional ramp up of the CPU fan in the server meant it was required. The front filter catches most of the dust on the server so there wasn't much to do inside.

My main PC had even less to do inside, the front mesh of this case has also done a good job of keeping dust out. Aside front dusting the top the GPU required no cleaning at all, presumably because it's passively cooled most of the time. The PSU is also passively cooled and the intake under the machine was spotless. I know it isn't blocked as the whole thing stands on a board.

It's nice to be able to see through clear glass panels now though.

IMG_4964_S1920.jpg

Last edited:
That feeling when the case you ordered for your new device arrives, but the actual device is nowhere to be seen. Effs sake. ?

The recently released iPad, for those of you wondering.

My iPhone 8's camera has partly died (the OIS goes hay-wire). Rather than spend the $100 to replace it myself, I'm thinking of going Android.

I need a phone with at least 256GB on it to store my music ( I go hiking where there is no cell service ), a camera on parity with what I have now, and a good finger print reader.

I'm thinking of a OnePlus 7 Pro, or the 8 Pro if it comes out soon.

Any suggestions from the Android users here?

My iPhone 8's camera has partly died (the OIS goes hay-wire). Rather than spend the $100 to replace it myself, I'm thinking of going Android.

I need a phone with at least 256GB on it to store my music ( I go hiking where there is no cell service ), a camera on parity with what I have now, and a good finger print reader.

I'm thinking of a OnePlus 7 Pro, or the 8 Pro if it comes out soon.

Any suggestions from the Android users here?

I didn't realize the camera replacements were so expensive on the 8 - My 6S+ camera replacement was like 70 bucks at Apple.

What about the Pixels? I feel like their Cameras are pretty good whereas the OPO ones seem to be called serviceable.....but maybe that's equivalent to a iPhone 8 these days...

ifixit lists the camera at $100. I'm guessing it's all the doodads they've built into it.

Pixel is only available with 64gb.

There are also 128GB Pixels available, but that's still less than 256GB, the battery is mediocre on Pixels as a rule of thumb, and the 4 series doesn't have a fingerprint sensor.

I'd say wait for the 8 Pro, the release should be around the corner, GSMArena says April the 14th. Alternatively, the Galaxy S20 Ultra is available right now, is a camera powerhouse, but I don't know about the fingerprint reader, as that part was criticised on the S10/S10+, and allegedly they haven't improved it for the S20 series (they use an ultrasonic sensor as opposed to 1+'s optical one). GSMArena calls the fingerprint scanner 'way behind the competition'. Besides, the Galaxy One UI experience, although vastly better than the TouchWiz back in the day, is still acquired taste.

And from flagships with 256GB+ of storage, a decent camera and a good fingerprint reader, that are available in the US, I think that's pretty much it. I'd avoid the LG V60 ThinQ as it tops out at 128GB, which is expandable via a MicroSD slot, but that's just not as fast as built-in storage. The Galaxy Note 10+ is a bit long in the tooth, and the iPhone 11 series does not come with a fingerprint scanner.

I had a OnePlus 3, loved it. Sold it unfortunately.

My wife has a OnePlus 5, she absolutely loves it. Don't want to change.

Since I broke the screen of my Essential PH-1 a few weeks ago, I've been waiting for the launch of the OnePlus 8. The launch event is officially on April 14th.

I will probably get one (not sure if Pro or regular).

I went the opposite way recently and don't regret it a bit. Let me know your experiences. Also, OnePlus's phones are fine if you don't care about a "pure" android experience. Personally, I would recommend the 7T Pro. If only because it lacks a silly display notch.

That being said, if you can tolerate the cam for a while longer yet, Apple seems to be poised in launching the iPhone 9. If the rumour mill is to be believed, it will be an 11 in the body of an 8. If that is the case, they have a customer right here.

The rumor also says the iPhone 9/SE 2020 will be released on April the 15th, so if that's true, it's only one day after the OnePlus 8. Do keep in mind that if the rumours are to be trusted, it will only come with 3GB of RAM, as opposed to 11's 4GB. And it probably won't come in a plus size, meaning only a single cam and a lowly battery life.

However, if you can live with all those drawbacks, it will come at a reasonable price, especially for an Apple product.

e, it's only one day after the OnePlus 8. Do keep in mind that if the rumours are to be trusted, it will only come with 3GB of RAM, as opposed to 11's 4GB. And it probably won't come in a plus size,

Because of how iOS multitasking works as well as efficiencies gained with iOS 13 you really don't need a ton of RAM. It'll run just fine with 3 GB and will probably have decent battery life as well.

And it probably won't come in a plus size, meaning only a single cam and a lowly battery life.

I've heard conflicted rumors on this one. I hope it comes in 5.5" size but I'll get it if it doesn't.

Right now I'd be buying the Galaxy A71, that camera is mighty impressive. Especially considering the cost and the huge screen, I suppose it's a middling phone for everything else.