Random Thoughts (Top gear Edition)

Kinda sad that they're still lying about the whole Morris Marina thing, but that's the entertainment industry for you.

Kinda sad that they're still lying about the whole Morris Marina thing, but that's the entertainment industry for you.

There's a gap in my knowledge here. I know what appeared on screen about the Marinas, but what is the lie, please?

There's a gap in my knowledge here. I know what appeared on screen about the Marinas, but what is the lie, please?

The reason why the club was upset. It had nothing to do with a Marina being destroyed, but rather the fact that a member of the club was lied to by a representative of the BBC. The boys on TopGear ignored that little fact, of course, and focused instead on the destruction of the car itself, as the sole reason for their outrage. They slandered the club members as "fanatics" because they were upset that one of their members was lied to by the BBC. It was pretty pathetic and I personally lost a tremendous amount of respect for the show and it's producers over that.

Of course the fanatic apologist fans of the show argued that no laws were broken, as if the Marina guys made any such accusations, which they did not. It was simply deceiving, dishonest, and disrespectful, which is all perfectly legal.

Richard Porter said:
Another Marina was bought, and then a piano was dropped on it. The Marinaists were incandescent with rage.

So we did it again. And then again.
Do you recall any rage from the Marina club after the other cars were destroyed?

Neither do I, because there wasn't any. They didn't care. Just like they didn't care about the first car. It was just the lying that set them off.

What was the lie?

The guy who restored and sold that first Marina to the BBC was a member of the owners club. When he posted a thread on the club site about it, everyone said the car was going to get wrecked on the show, since no one likes Marina's and that's kinda sorta the only thing TopGear is famous for. But he had the same thought and had asked. The BBC rep told him, via email, that the car would not be destroyed. He believe him.

And then the episode came out.

No one accused the BBC of doing anything illegal, of course. It was their car and they could do whatever they wanted with it. But the club did get angry on behalf of a member of their small community, who they felt was lied to.

That's like selling a car to Mythbusters and expecting the car back in perfect condition. Forget it, no matter what anyone tells you.

nvm.

Last edited:
A couple of clearer pix of May?s new Ferrari 458 Speciale

tumblr_inline_nw2vsfjW5q1tua6wp_1280.jpg

11224235_1038899669461669_3218176884123373393_o.jpg

Gold wheels? Don't let that new paycheck change you.

A couple of clearer pix of May?s new Ferrari 458 Speciale

tumblr_inline_nw2vsfjW5q1tua6wp_1280.jpg

I wasn't expecting that color combo. Doesn't seem dignified enough for James. It's almost the opposite color combo as Clarkson's old Lamborghini. Jezza's Gallardo was grey on the outside, orange on the inside.

jeremy-clarkson-s-lamborghini-gallardo-spyder.jpg

Wasn't his 458 yellow?! Nothing will ever surprise me after that...

I never did see his 458. Looked it up. I don't think yellow is an outrageous color for a Ferrari. Looks a lot more subtle than orange with gold wheels, imo.

May_458.jpg

24 hours after first seeing the pic of James' Fezza I still think it looks really bad ass in that color, especially from the front with the go-faster stripes. However, I think Ferraris shouldn't stray from the red color. Lambos, any color you like because they are meant to be mad, but Ferarris, not so much. Outside where I work there were 3 supercars the other day: A Lamborghini Aventador in bright green, a RED Ferarri 458 and a yellow Mercedes GTS.
20gbcqu.jpg

Only proof I got, couldn't get the cars' picture, but at least I got to hang on to their keys for a while. Anyway, it was the perfect combination of cars and colors.
I don't mind the Impreza wheels as long as I don't have to drive them.