Random Thoughts [Top Gear USA Edition]

I've enjoyed this season of Top Gear US more than the last 2 seasons of Top Gear UK...

Come towards me in an aggressive manner, sibling :p

Apologies for double post, but there are already enough threads in this section.

After the cancellation of TG Australia this week due to low ratings, I was wondering how TGUS has been received by the average American viewer. Understandbly, most of us here viewed the show with an open mind when it first began and gave it a chance to find its feet. Come halfway through the second season, I personally began to enjoy it more than the original and it's now generally been accepted as a decent program by most. But what about viewers who haven't seen the original? Has the show had much/any exposure in the US media? Reviews or comparisons to the original? Is it likely to be given the green light for a 3rd season?

I could only find one review which was for Season One saying that it was OK but needed more work and that Adam Ferrara didn't seem to fit in. Pretty sure everyone here figured as much :p

My folks seem to like it. My dad's seen bits of the original (though never a full episode, and the bits he's seen have been part of whatever episode I was watching at any given time); my mother has never seen any version.

Personally, I'd say I like both pretty much equally.

I have found that a lot of guys here at work have been watching it, without the knowledge of TGUK! They all seem to enjoy it very much. Folks that have not seen TGUK have nothing to base their opinion about the show expect may be know with ?The Car Show?.
On the other hand people like my wife who refuses to watch TGUS as she is a big TGUK fan. Which in itself is odd since she used to complain that she could not understand the presenters. To clarify that if anyone cares she is Panamanian and of course English is here second language. I myself have resigned myself not to judge TGUS against the well established TGUK and think of it as a completely different show which of course it is. Since I have done that I have really enjoyed the show more and more and really I think it is coming into its own.

I highly doubt that that TGUS is gonna go the way of TGAUS. It continues to put up solid numbers in the ratings (Not "Pawn Stars" solid, but there's no toppling that ratings juggernaut) and the seasons last more than three episodes (The network just didn't give them a fair chance after season 2).

Last edited:
Last I checked TGUS was hitting roughly 2 million viewers + a week, and had roughly the same share as network programs during the same night. Those are pretty damn good numbers. I think TGUS is safe, at least until they reveal a "V8 to the rescue" segment and the presenters appear in drag regularly.

Some numbers for those who worship at the altar of Factus, god of citations: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2011/08/16/historys-ice-road-truckers-and-top-gear-hit-season-highs-on-sunday-248210/20110816history02/

On the other hand people like my wife who refuses to watch TGUS as she is a big TGUK fan. Which in itself is odd since she used to complain that she could not understand the presenters.

Maybe she got thrown by their accents at first?

No, the UK guys' accents. ;)

Any attempt at copying TG UK will invariably fail, and we'll all be sitting back wondering why they bothered.

Why is this always taken out of context? There have great segments where TGUS has re-image a UK segment
Tanner vs the skydiver
Tanner vs the skiier
Tanner in the STI
Tanner vs the video game
In this case it seem that only the bad copies are given any attention and that is not true when the good out weights the bad.

Last edited:
Why is this always taken out of context? There have great segments where TGUS has re-image a UK segment
How can you say that, and then go ahead and quote someone out of context? Lol.

Those comments were in response to someone who clearly did not like TG US, but instead of forming a suitable argument, decided to have a little whinge and complain about the lack of consumer advice. He was suggesting that TG US needed to be more like the UK equivalent in every regard.

Part of the success of TG US has to come down to their ability to create a show that is different to the original, whilst bearing the same name; a trick TG Australia never managed to quite do. All I was suggesting was that we didn't need another Clarkson, Hammond and May. Thankfully, we don't. I'm not really worried about what they are presenting or the amount they are pinching from TG UK, as much as how they are presenting it and if they're continuing to forge their own path. Notice the common trend in the examples you posted? Tanner did all of them in his capacity as "The Driver". Their hosting dynamic is much different to their UK counterparts.

How can you say that, and then go ahead and quote someone out of context? Lol.

I was mostly refering to the number of times that comment is made thruoughout the froum with out realizing what they are saying. As far as Tanner goes I would like the whole cast to be somewhere near his level. Kinda defeats the purpose of the show when you have "car guys" that can't drive. On a postive note, Adam does have the best interview skills and the best voice for the voice overs.

I was mostly refering to the number of times that comment is made thruoughout the froum with out realizing what they are saying. As far as Tanner goes I would like the whole cast to be somewhere near his level. Kinda defeats the purpose of the show when you have "car guys" that can't drive. On a postive note, Adam does have the best interview skills and the best voice for the voice overs.

you know that Clarkson, Hammond, and May aren't that good of drivers either, compared to actual professional drivers (Tanner), right?

Those comments were in response to someone who clearly did not like TG US, but instead of forming a suitable argument, decided to have a little whinge and complain about the lack of consumer advice. He was suggesting that TG US needed to be more like the UK equivalent in every regard.

Get your facts straight, I never implied every single squiggly bit.

Get your facts straight, I never implied every single squiggly bit.
Please show me where those comments have anything whatsoever to do with you? Unless you're sock puppeting with Hagiman2000, in which case you're an assclown regardless.

After the cancellation of TG Australia this week due to low ratings, I was wondering how TGUS has been received by the average American viewer. what about viewers who haven't seen the original?

I pointed a coworker towards TGUS during series 1, and he liked it. Now he watches TGUK on BBC America, and hasn't seen much of this second series. I've noticed though that he isn't always sure which one he is watching; he sees Top Gear on the guide and just starts watching. Another friend watches both, is aware of the differences, and likes both of them. I would say overall that the problem for TGUS is just getting viewers; we have so many choices every night it's hard to pick just one.

Keep in mind that Sunday night is (American) football night here in Merkuh, so the idea to take a break during the regular season is a good one.

Still, the show regularly places in the top 10 for Sunday (and that's all day, which includes huge numbers of kids watching Disney Channel and Nickelodeon; if Top Gear could draw half the number of Spongebob viewers its future would be secure) and has a good share (better than many evening network shows) so I think its safe for now. I don't have numbers to back this up, but I suspect its probably had a better showing this series than last.