Random Thoughts....

Argh, I want a new phone so much its not funny...............................

I'm pissed off I got snipped on an ebay auction for an HTC last night. Grr.....

If it takes you more than three times to get a drivers license, then you shouldn't be driving. How can you fail in the first place?
The test is harder in some places. AFAIK the US test is one of the easiest and UK test is one of the hardest.

Last edited:
True that the US is stupidly easy since everyone here think having a car is written somewhere in the Bill of Rights :roll:

Even still... how can you fail if you've signed up for driving schools, have at least skimmed the book on driving (US gets one, do other countries as well?) and have had plenty of time under your belt driving? :confused:

I didn't even bother with that, just did all the questions the day before, took me like 2h, answered the selection of 20-30 questions at the test centre and left within 5 minutes and that was in Britain. The driving test was harder though and most fail first time, especially at 16 or 17.

Even still... how can you fail if you've signed up for driving schools, have at least skimmed the book on driving (US gets one, do other countries as well?) and have had plenty of time under your belt driving? :confused:

Try to take the test in the UK, Germany, Finland etc., and then say that again...

Last edited:
While the test is harder in Germany, it is easy in comparison what I had to go through in the UK, I got my A1 in Germany by the way;). I have also spoken to driving instructors in Germany who could not believe how certain people could have passed after their performance at the test, still they did.

In the UK test if someone pulls out in front of you, you fail with a major. Irrelevant of what you were doing or how well you were driving. If you brake harshly, you'll get a minor. You're allowed up to 16 minors and must get no majors to pass.

If you don't check your mirrors every time you slow down, minor. If you do not check both blind spots clearly when pulling off, minor. If you stall, usually a minor. If you do not apply the handbrake when waiting at traffic lights/in traffic for a long period of time, minor.

They're picky. I got 8 minors in my test, with a very difficult examiner. I find it sort of easy to understand a fail on your first test. A second fail can be a mistake, but a third is very unlikely.

Got 3 minors and 1 major in my first test, the major was the thing I was most pissed off though, position on the road on a 4 metre wide road off the test centre, which should be one-way street since you aren't allowed to enter the test centre and the road doesn't go anywhere else, still I shouldn't have moved to the right that much for a right-turn. :wall:

I don't see the big problem with brown walls. However, it wont happen because I couldn't come up with carpet that would look good with brown.

I might be going with green. Haven't decided yet.

I don't see the big problem with brown walls. However, it wont happen because I couldn't come up with carpet that would look good with brown.

I might be going with green. Haven't decided yet.

Living in a house with over-stained paneling in half of it, I can say that a patterned carpet containing yellow, orange, and brown matches nicely for an effect of not being entirely hideous.

The carpet in the front part of our house is grassy green, but our furniture is shades of greens and browns so it's not so noticeable. If we could be bothered / had the time / had the money, we'd probably just rip it all up and get polished floor boards. Same with the blue and grey linoleum in the 1950's era kitchen, which also had the most horrific flowery wallpaper on the walls when we first moved in :puke:

Life goes on...

A friend of mine failed 3 times. Once, he arrived at a pedestrian crossing and there was an old lady standing on the zebra stripes - she was already on the road, not on the sidewalk. The rule is, if the pedestrian has stepped onto the road you must stop or you fail instantly. My friend stopped and waited for the woman to cross the road. She was just standing there and my friend failed. The examiner said that it was obvious that the woman wouldn't start walking so my friend should have driven on. (My friend only waited a few seconds before the examiner announced the failure, so he wasn't stationary for a way too long time or anything. )
Second time, he was in the 50th minute of an exam (the exam should take 40 minutes officially, but lots of examiners ignore this...) and the examiner told him to turn right. He turned left. Failed instantly. OK, his fault and quite a stupid mistake to do but this doesn't mean he couldn't drive.
Third time, he was driving in an 50 km/h zone and there was an intersection coming and he started to slow down. The examiner told him that he shouldn't slow down this early and asked him to accelerate again. My friend did, then he had to brake quite hard at the intersection. Failed instantly.

You know, failing the exam is not too hard if your examiner is an a**hole.

About 50% of people in Australia fail their test 1st time round (forget where I read this :S). I did, had to turn right onto a main road from a T-intersection, could barely see what was coming to my left due to a hill, thought I was all good to go, and damn well nearly crashed into another car :D. All in the first 2 minutes too, so I had to still do the rest of my test. Second time round, I blitzed it. Only got 2 minor errors, and one was a gear ault (tried to take off in 2nd gear- oops) and the other was doing a blind spot check before a parked car, not after it.
My mum got hers 2nd time round too, my dad got his 3rd time.

The theory tests in my state are really easy though, if you fail you are kinda viewed as a bit of a moron. My sister did, and she's not a great driver, so I rip her off about it heaps.

About 50% of people in Australia fail their test 1st time round (forget where I read this :S). I did, had to turn right onto a main road from a T-intersection, could barely see what was coming to my left due to a hill, thought I was all good to go, and damn well nearly crashed into another car :D. All in the first 2 minutes too, so I had to still do the rest of my test. Second time round, I blitzed it. Only got 2 minor errors, and one was a gear ault (tried to take off in 2nd gear- oops) and the other was doing a blind spot check before a parked car, not after it.
My mum got hers 2nd time round too, my dad got his 3rd time.

The theory tests in my state are really easy though, if you fail you are kinda viewed as a bit of a moron. My sister did, and she's not a great driver, so I rip her off about it heaps.

I failed my theory test first time but passed my driving test first time. ;)