Random Thoughts....

It's an elective in our Hospitality Management program, and it's obviously our most popular class. :p The first half of the semester is dedicated to wine, and the 2nd half (the fun part!) is all about beer. Last week we had a rep from Saranac come in and give us free mugs and posters, and he raffled off some Winter Variety Packs for us. I didn't win one, however. :cry:

It does disappoint me why so many of my fellow Americans are content to drink really bad beer, like Bud and Miller Lite. MGD is okay, but I cannot fathom how they can waste money on beer that tastes terrible and makes my tongue go numb. Instead of pounding down 3-4 Miller Lites, how about 2-3 quality beers, get the same alcohol, and enjoy it more?

Eh, what do I know...

It does disappoint me why so many of my fellow Americans are content to drink really bad beer, like Bud and Miller Lite. MGD is okay, but I cannot fathom how they can waste money on beer that tastes terrible and makes my tongue go numb. Instead of pounding down 3-4 Miller Lites, how about 2-3 quality beers, get the same alcohol, and enjoy it more?

Eh, what do I know...

I totally agree with you. I would rather have 1 Chimay Premiere than a case of miller lite.

You don't even have to go with expensive, relatively obscure Belgian dubbels - even a case of Sam Adams or Lions Head is a notch above the swill most people are content to shove down.

(Though if I'm drinking dirt cheap, I usually go with Miller High Life. My friend hates that stuff, but he's obsessed with Coors Light: so what the hell does he know?)

I totally agree with you. I would rather have 1 Chimay Premiere than a case of miller lite.

OH GOD CHIMAY. I need some clean pants now.

I totally agree on most heathen Americans. I think it's something they learn during their teenage years when they can't buy it themselves and just see the advertising.

When one of our associates turns 21, they get dragged to the bar, stapled to a stool and fed a variety of excellent beers until they admit that Coors Extra Gold is terrible.

That is, unless they were lucky enough to party with us before then - when the "Cheap" beer on hand is Magic Hat, you learn to be a good drinker. Only recently have we started allowing access to Coors Light cans because they make nice filler in large-volume mixes. Getting caught with a can in hand is a lifetime ban, however.

Last edited:
Include me on that list please.

There should be a sub-forum that just for him. He can post there and no where else. And we all read him talking to himself :lol:

Yep. I tried helping Wannabe back in the day, but things went the same way. Some people are just naturally retarded.

since i missed it i just want to say

unsuccessful-troll.jpg

congratulations to our very own evil overlord for the most classy, baller-ass playing on the troll i have ever seen

A state trooper came into our beer and wine appreciation class and showed us a depressing video about a family on their way to a wedding who lost a 4-year old daughter when a drunk driver hit their limo.

"Jennifer sat on the side of the highway, cradling her daughter's severed head in her arms." Yeah, that'll get me in the mood to sample Lindemans Lambic Framboise, Smithwick's (pronounced "Smittick's," for some reason beyond my comprehension), Spaten and Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. :blink:

On the other hand, only 6 people showed up because everybody else went home for Thanksgiving already! More beer for us, and extra credit from our teacher. :dance:

so you get a grade for drinking, i'll have a glass of wine please

Last edited:
Chimay = omnomnomnom. :)

I don't know what I want for Christmas. I need a side table to match my stuff and a couple things replaced on my car (remote and hubcaps are broken), but that's really about it. And that's stuff I kinda need, so there's no fun in asking for that.

I can't think of anything to get anyone else, either, FWIW. Ugh, Christmas. Get it over with.

Eh, what do I know...

I'm guessing a fair number of people just buy brand X because it was what they bought as a young person. And when you're young the main issue is cost, not quality. Habits can be hard to escape.

They just need their eyes opened to proper stuff, I guess.

gaasc said:
so you get a drink for drinking, i'll have a cup of wine please

Your use of the phrase "a cup of wine" does not bode well for the quality of the beverage.

Last edited:
(Though if I'm drinking dirt cheap, I usually go with Miller High Life. My friend hates that stuff, but he's obsessed with Coors Light: so what the hell does he know?)

I defriended someone on facebook because they were a fan of Coors light.

But you get a pass on buying "cheap" beer (High Life isn't half bad, and I know of people who think THAT is too fancy) because a)you are college student b)you are an aspiring journalist, and c)you seem to tolerate my existence and opinions.

It's an elective in our Hospitality Management program, and it's obviously our most popular class. :p The first half of the semester is dedicated to wine, and the 2nd half (the fun part!) is all about beer. Last week we had a rep from Saranac come in and give us free mugs and posters, and he raffled off some Winter Variety Packs for us. I didn't win one, however. :cry:

This is an excellent idea for a class in that kind of program! It's difficult to develop a good professional knowledge of wine and beer on your own, just because it costs so much. This should be really useful to anybody going into the hospitality industry.

The reason I love going to Spec's is that they train their wine stewards so they actually know something about the wines they sell. I can walk in and say, "I really like Robert Hall Meritage, but I'm looking for something under $20" and they'll give me an absolute gem. Or I can be as vague as "I want a dry white to have with my pasta" and get something awesome as well.

I defriended someone on facebook because they were a fan of Coors light.

But you get a pass on buying "cheap" beer (High Life isn't half bad, and I know of people who think THAT is too fancy) because a)you are college student b)you are an aspiring journalist, and c)you seem to tolerate my existence and opinions.

I'm a writer, therefore I'm entitled to become a broke-ass alcoholic. :D

Oh! How I love ciders. Myself, I keep it simple and get Woodchuck, but I must look into the above. Is it sweet? Tart? Dry?

Hard to say, because the only baseline I have to compare it to is Strongbow (which my friends affectionately refer to as "apple crap"), but it's semi-sweet, kinda tart, not that dry. Not sure how much that will help you :?

And seeing as how you're in the US, and this is a local Ontario cider, I don't think you'd be able to get it.

i hate making a post while sleepy, carry on with them fancy wine glasses and wine from when i wasn't even born

We have strongbow - or bow as it is known to some. Magners is supposed to be better. Not a cider drinker since a certain incident in the early 1980's when I seem to go mad on it. One minute I was around my mates house eating a Pork Sunday Dinner next thing 5 hours later I was found in the pub, no recollection what so ever of what I had done, or where I had been - I just walked out of the house.

No one knows - I stay well away from Cider from that day.

^ Careful ninjacoco will high jack that for a certain thread!

Wau POOS - see

I giggled, but resisted the temptation.

Until now.

Bajs!

(Also, cider is too nummy to really associate with poop.)