Random Thoughts....

Car(s)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (USDM)
I don't want to sound like I'm bashing you Americans, but I never understood your concept of multiple credit card use, paying one bill by charging another card and so on... I have one card, and I pay the bill every month... like just about everyone this side of the pond... and having to pay interest on credit card bills is completely unknown to me.
Ditto, I don't understand it either, I do everything with the card and pay it off each month.
I have never paid a single dime in interest on it, and I actually make money off of them by getting points on purchases.
If I don't have enough money to buy something without paying off the card at the end of the month, I don't buy it.
The only way I could see myself getting in credit card debt would be if I have a sudden loss of income or something like that.

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
I don't have a credit card anymore. Always seemed like a rip-off, so adios.

I kind of see the point in store cards where you get certain rewards for using them, but aside from that...I don't get it. I hate being in debt, though.

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, CBF1000 & two bikes
I kind of see the point in store cards where you get certain rewards for using them
Most of these are ripoffs, too. The big ones, Payback and the like, are designed for one purpose only: to find out about your shopping habits so they can send you "better" spam.
What I like are cards like my hairdresser uses: A stamp for every visit, and after ten visits, the next haircut is free. Completely anonymous, no data collected.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
Stupid fucking El Nino.

This has been one of the warmest, mildest winters I can remember. Not even ONE decent snow storm.

Ahh well, at least this weekend will be warm enough that Kiki and I can take the motorcycles out for a run around Utah Lake.

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
Well I didn't know that, although I have seen Youtube footage of Asian players pulling off some insane rallies. I always considered it a sort of drunk game you play with your mates, similar to Pool.
"Pool" refers to a collection of games that also has many professional leagues :p

But then, so does absolutely every sport, hobby, or pastime imaginable.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing you Americans, but I never understood your concept of multiple credit card use, paying one bill by charging another card and so on... I have one card, and I pay the bill every month... like just about everyone this side of the pond... and having to pay interest on credit card bills is completely unknown to me.
Anyone who pays one credit card off by charging another (unless they're switching due to lower rates or something) is just an idiot digging himself into a deeper hole. Sadly, a chronic problem over here, we're the ones who don't understand the concept.

I don't have a credit card so the following is pure speculation, but don't you usually not pay interest if you pay something off when the bill comes over here, too?

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
I don't have a credit card anymore. Always seemed like a rip-off, so adios.

I kind of see the point in store cards where you get certain rewards for using them, but aside from that...I don't get it. I hate being in debt, though.
Using a bank card (whether it's a debit card or a "check card") online is a really bad idea - most banks could give far fewer than two shits about getting things fixed in a timely fashion if you get scammed or something otherwise goes wrong. Which means that during the duration of the error, your money is tied up and can't be used for other things. Indeed, I know of several people personally who have had vendors abuse their debit cards and had the bank turn right around and say "Oh, that's too bad. You'll have to take it up with the vendor. We like overdraft fees, NOM NOM NOM"

Credit card companies, for all their ills, are actually extremely good at proactively detecting fraud and resolving issues. But even when they're slow as shit, it hasn't tied up any ACTUAL money. And that applies to prettymuch any credit card in the universe (except, perhaps, by reputation, those issued by HSBC - which includes the vast majority of store cards. HSBC in general hates the shit out of customers.)

Beyond that, if you step outside the safe, comfortable, accepted-anywhere, bank-issued realm of Visa and MasterCard and look at the cards issued by actual credit card companies (Discover and AmEx) credit cards become extremely useful tools. Discover cards are notorious for having some of the most productive rewards programs in all of creation, and AmEx members get free extended warranties and car rental insurance, and craptons more. They also hand out comparatively higher limits.

Bottom line, credit cards make sense and are a good idea - if you're a responsible enough human being to use them properly.

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Many things, none of them working.
Stupid fucking El Nino.

This has been one of the warmest, mildest winters I can remember. Not even ONE decent snow storm.

Ahh well, at least this weekend will be warm enough that Kiki and I can take the motorcycles out for a run around Utah Lake.
Trade ya.

*looks out the window at the third horseman of the snowpocalypse*

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
Using a bank card (whether it's a debit card or a "check card") online is a really bad idea - most banks could give far fewer than two shits about getting things fixed in a timely fashion if you get scammed or something otherwise goes wrong. Which means that during the duration of the error, your money is tied up and can't be used for other things. Indeed, I know of several people personally who have had vendors abuse their debit cards and had the bank turn right around and say "Oh, that's too bad. You'll have to take it up with the vendor. We like overdraft fees, NOM NOM NOM"

Credit card companies, for all their ills, are actually extremely good at proactively detecting fraud and resolving issues. But even when they're slow as shit, it hasn't tied up any ACTUAL money. And that applies to prettymuch any credit card in the universe (except, perhaps, by reputation, those issued by HSBC - which includes the vast majority of store cards. HSBC in general hates the shit out of customers.)

Beyond that, if you step outside the safe, comfortable, accepted-anywhere, bank-issued realm of Visa and MasterCard and look at the cards issued by actual credit card companies (Discover and AmEx) credit cards become extremely useful tools. Discover cards are notorious for having some of the most productive rewards programs in all of creation, and AmEx members get free extended warranties and car rental insurance, and craptons more. They also hand out comparatively higher limits.

Bottom line, credit cards make sense and are a good idea - if you're a responsible enough human being to use them properly.
American Express just hiked their rates on the retailer side (what it costs to make your store accept AmEx) so a lot of places around here are dropping them.

flydiscovery

Car(s)
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Couldn't agree more. People get all high and mighty thinking their check card only spends money they have, but the banks are more than happy to let you over draft yourself. You still have to keep up with how much you have and how much you can spend. It's all the same, and I'd rather be safe from fraud.
They also have comparatively annual fees, retailer fees, and are not universally accepted.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Couldn't agree more. People get all high and mighty thinking their check card only spends money they have, but the banks are more than happy to let you over draft yourself. You still have to keep up with how much you have and how much you can spend. It's all the same, and I'd rather be safe from fraud.
That is the main reason I dumped WAMU, err Chase, for USAA. No overdraft fees.

Topgearfanatic

is a Queen
Car(s)
2002 Audi A4 1.8t
It took awhile but the heavy snow is finally falling, can't wait for the ground to be covered so that the ugly dormant grass is no longer visible.

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
God you're pathetic. You must have no life to have that many posts- wait! :p

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
If you pay off a credit card every month, they seem okay and even make a bit sense for the different rewards and such.

But if you don't do a lot of shopping online - meh. 'Tis why I don't have one. Most of my shopping's done...here. In person. If they mess up the transaction, I'll go back and yell at 'em...in person.

mgkdk

Aced mod training!
Car(s)
VW UP! Renault Clio
5,000 posts.

I'm so ashamed of myself. :(
You should be, you have almost as many as me and I've been here 3x as long, bloddy noob :p

In other news, I made my avatar normal sized again \o/

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
A credit card is worth keeping around for your credit rating. Any good credit car won't have any fees if you don't owe them anything.