Random Thoughts....

This just happened:

Cop: When was your last speeding ticket?
Me: I've never gotten a speeding ticket, sir.
Cop: I didn't say you were going to get one. When's the last time you got a ticket?
Me: Um...
Cop: The last time you got a ticket?
Me: Er, I've never gotten a speeding ticket before.
Cop: See, that's what I was asking you.
*some time passes*
Cop: Here's your license back. When you said you had never gotten a ticket, you should have said 2006. Here's number 2.

2 things. 1: What happened in 2006, if you're willing to share that is. 2: If he wasn't a cop I would have asked him when he last got action, and state that his pillow doesn't count.

Last "day" at the observatory. Leaving in an hour. Going to leave a note for the chefs (and a tip) since they prepared wonderful vegetarian meals and were very considerate of it. I wish the weather could have been nicer, so I could get trained more on the instrument and we could have more data. Ah well. Such is life.

Now its off to La Serena (2 hours on a van from the observatory) and then a flight to Santiago, and then a taxi to the hotel.

After that for the next 3 days I'm all by myself. Wish me luck.

Finally demonstrating a big project I've been working on for the last month, month and a half. I don't have a lot to work with, but I've put a lot of time into this, so I'm hoping its drawbacks (which unfortunately CANNOT be circumvented) are tolerable.

Now its off to La Serena (2 hours on a van from the observatory) and then a flight to Santiago, and then a taxi to the hotel.

After that for the next 3 days I'm all by myself. Wish me luck.

Good luck.

This just happened:

Cop: When was your last speeding ticket?
Me: I've never gotten a speeding ticket, sir.
Cop: I didn't say you were going to get one. When's the last time you got a ticket?
Me: Um...
Cop: The last time you got a ticket?
Me: Er, I've never gotten a speeding ticket before.
Cop: See, that's what I was asking you.
*some time passes*
Cop: Here's your license back. When you said you had never gotten a ticket, you should have said 2006. Here's number 2.
The Cobol74 patented method for trying to avoid tickets (Does not always work - but it has done so. ...)
1. Get out of the car - in the US this may lead to instant death so probably skip this bit unless the cop asks you.
2. Take the iniative, "I am sorry officer have I done something wrong?"
3. When he tells you - apologise, grovel, snivvel (perhaps not going a bit far that one), promise to never do that again, thank him profusely for pointing that out to you and promise promise promise never going to do that again, again (if you see what I mean).
4. Tell 100% the truth if asked, no really and look like you are doing so
5. If you get a ticket, take it with good grace, say thank you and ask if you may go if he does not say anything.

As I said will not always work but has done - very good for defects on the car - "thank you for pointing that out to me I had not noticed sorry. ..."

Last edited:
As I said will not always work but has done - very good for defects on the car - "thank you for pointing that out to me I had not noticed sorry. ..."

And after about a month same cop pulls you over and you forget that you have met him.......:p
(Thinking that if you could not fix it during that time period)

No you fix it. Why drive around needlessly with a broken car? You just gain the time to get it fixed without getting a ticket.

The Indian model, i have heard is, give police money get away scot free - everyone knows where they are then. Works in most of Africa too I understand.

Jack Bauer fucking loves bread.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/07/21/513187823.JPG

This is how I deal with speeding tickets:

Treat the cop with respect. Do not acknowledge speeding. If he gives you one fight it in court. Here in WA it is pretty easy to get out of ticket via mistrial.

Being respectful works if you have a good cop pulling you over. If it's a speed trap they might be nice but if they are pulling you over for speeding from behind in this state horrible driving state they're probably either a jerk or your driving like an idiot. :(

Even if they are assholes you'll want to be nice. In six weeks the ticket will be gone anyway.

Being respectful works if you have a good cop pulling you over. If it's a speed trap they might be nice but if they are pulling you over for speeding from behind in this state horrible driving state they're probably either a jerk or your driving like an idiot. :(

Yes, you should know :whistle:

I like living in this country for not being pulled over for about 11 years now.

x2, I have actually never shown my drivers license to a cop.

Fireworks are on tonight... guess it's a good thing I just woke up since I won't be sleeping tonight thanks to the drunk bridge and tunnel crowd.

Gah, people piss me off.