Random Thoughts....

I'm trying to convince my mum to either change our ISP or try to switch to a higher download cap. The amount of documents and such things I've had to download for uni purposes as well as the usual music etc has taken us over our limit far far too soon. Dial-up speed sucks dirty hairy balls!

'Luckily' I've got a few assignments to complete so my need to be online is not so great, and I've found most of the information I needed in books at the campus library so I'm okay there too.

PS: This NZ earthquake thing has freaked me out a bit. A really nice lady whose group I study with every so often has family members in Christchurch (she came to Aus with her partner about three years ago). I hope they're all okay. :-(

I've got the exact same problem as you- tons of uni stuff to get and nowhere near good enough speed or data to get it. Fortunately they have upgraded our link to ADSL2+ recently and I convinced my dad to upgrade us to the ADSL2+ 50GB plan instead of our current ADSL 12GB plan. Hopefully he'll do it this afternoon!

I'm lucky too in that I've only really got exams at the moment, so i just need my lecture notes to make notes from. But trying to send word documents/powerpoints via email for group work sucks.

and :hug:. Sounds like most of the damage done was to buildings, I've been trawling the web pages (have some family members over there- I'm of New Zealander descent!) and I haven't heard of any serious injuries/deaths. Houses and buildings can be rebuilt at least :) Hopefully everybody over there is ok.

Nope, just part New Zealander. Don't have any accent though (some family members do though)

Sigh of relief Ah ok. I hope your family over there are all fine. :)

The problem is trying to convince my incredibly spendthrift mother to pay that little bit extra per month for the extra download limit. I actually need it.....
I've even offered to chip in from my non-existant income hard earned savings! <_<

Sigh of relief Ah ok. I hope your family over there are all fine. :)

*glares*

The problem is trying to convince my incredibly spendthrift mother to pay that little bit extra per month for the extra download limit. I actually need it.....
I've even offered to chip in from my non-existant income hard earned savings! <_<

I've been arguing it with my parents for ages, but we would've just been paying more for a higher download limit (which my parents claimed would never be breached if I stopped downloading. Later proved that false). This will be a $10 increase in our monthly spend for a huge speed and data increase, which my parents are happy with. Our other problem is that if one person is online, the internet is unusable for everybody else. Given my sister and I need the internet for uni/school and dad needs it to do book work, that's getting very annoying as of late.

I still find it ridiculous that our ISP never upgraded us either- we are paying $60 a month for ADSL so slow it's legally not allowed to be called that anymore and a ridiculously low cap! Too much work for them I guess....

It's a good thing Telstra don't upgrade you automatically, because whenever you change something with them, they will inevitably screw up some other service you have with them which can take weeks to correct.

Not when you don't bundle- the lack of savings is almost worth the lack of hassle. Mind you, I'm still crossing everything and finding pieces of wood to make sure this goes correctly.....

Probably going to need all the luck we can get, so thankyou! :)

Wow... I would not like to live in Australia simply because of that.

I sometimes get frustrated with this...

Oh, back in the days of dial up, it was insane. At least now there are a few companies around that are willing to offer reasonable deals on Broadband. 150GB per month FTW.

By the way, I love watching VFL because you get to see the coaches ranting.

And zesty, what's the weather like in Ballarat? Apparently, there are floods going on in Creswick.

Last edited:
Me too... :hug:

What's your excuse? Heavy work load from school?

Yeah that and reality.

To me, reality is what makes me for fearful of everything. I can't stand the fear, but I can't stand the reality either. I wish I had more confidence in these situations, but I just don't. And that's why sometimes I feel like not...well live anymore. Death seems a better option because you don't need to think, but then again not thinking for an eternity would suck.

Last edited:
Yeah that and reality.

<snip due to edit>

Confidence comes with experience. And yes, there are things in life that are always scary, but please, go and see someone. It shouldn't be that awful. And dare I say being young and facing some big decisions can be difficult. I'm not saying it gets overly easier as you get older, but you work out what are the properly important things and what is worthy of fear and respect, and that which isn't.

Last edited:
*Runs in to annoy the Aussies*

HAI GAIS LADIES!!!!

I was seeing a psychologist for quite sometime until a few months ago, but I don't think I got the best of it to be honest. I kept telling myself that it helped, but it didn't. I wasn't really honest than I should have been or maybe because I wasn't saying the things that were wrong with me. I don't know.

These next three months are going to be batshit crazy for me (School Production, Completion of work, Exams) and I don't think I ever had the mindset for school. I wish I got out of it before I got stuck.

Sorry if I'm rambling and you might have heard of all of this before, but I am never open to anyone about it and that's probably a major issue too.

I was seeing a psychologist for quite sometime until a few months ago, but I don't think I got the best of it to be honest. I kept telling myself that it helped, but it didn't. I wasn't really honest than I should have been or maybe because I wasn't saying the things that were wrong with me. I don't know.

These next three months are going to be batshit crazy for me (School Production, Completion of work, Exams) and I don't think I ever had the mindset for school. I wish I got out of it before I got stuck.

Sorry if I'm rambling and you might have heard of all of this before, but I am never open to anyone about it and that's probably a major issue too.

Agree with what Ashspet has said. I know what you are going through at the moment- I went through it last year and my sister is going through it now. This time of your life (ending high school and going onto the next phase of your life) is scary and uncertain and at some times horrifying, but you do get through it. I know there may be other issues underlying this, but normally this tends to compound things. Just remember that millions have been through this phase of their lives too- I bet a lot of them were going "Oh crap, what do i do, how do I handle this?" too (I know I was).

Agree with ashspet on confidence too, but I also think confidence comes from knowledge- not necessarily knowing what you want to do next and being assured that it is the right thing, but knowing what your options are and having knowledge on them. Anybody can wade into a situation and make a choice and think they are doing the right thing, not many can do so after researching their options and weighing up the positives and negatives.

Don't ever dwell on your decisions too- getting upset/angry about staying at school is only going to serve to lower your confidence and make you doubt your ability to make decisions in the future. I do it as well, but I've learnt over time to just go "Well, I've done it now, I can't change it, but I can make it into the better decision!". And you know what? I've made some really shitty decisions in my life. Some of them were so bad I'm surprised I canme out of the situation alive and with my sanity. But the way that I handled myself afterwards and used them to actually make myself better is one of the things I am most proud of about myself- I feel that I wouldn't be as good a person without making those mistakes. So yes, you will make crappy decisions through life, but you can turn them around and actually use them as a positive. And knowing that makes being confident a helluva lot easier for me.

As far as everything being crazy over the next few months, just take stuff a day at a time. And for me, that doesn't mean just planning for today and forgetting tomorrow, it means breaking down my problems/deadlines into little chunks and tackling them day by day, with future goals that I know I can achieve and put together to complete my tasks. In the next 3 weeks, I have over 10 assingments, projects, etc to complete. I don't think about the ones that are due at the end of that period yet and freak myself out- I have stuff due Monday and Tuesday, so that's my focus. It will be easy to complete today, and then tomorrow I can owrry about the next thing. And don't let yourself get bogged down by future events- every time I think about what I'll be doing this time next year, I freak out. But that's in the future, I'll deal with it then. For now doing the best at what is now will position me well for those future events.

I know that is a huge ramble, but it's just what I have really learnt over the past few years. You have all of us here to talk to, if there are people on here you feel you can open up to, use them. Everybody on here will help you out if you need it. Heck, I talk about really secret stuff to my cat rather than my parents, it's natural to not feel like opening up about all your issues. But find different people that you can talk to about different things, and eventually you will feel safe enough to let it all out. And that feels great, trust me :)

:hug:

And that's probably 100% of the problem. It you can't work out what it is, talk to someone about it, they can't help you to deal with it. Which is why I ended up on the bathroom floor in a total blubbering mess over crap water pressure. I started unpacking the problems I had been carrying around to some very receptive ears here and IRL. Not all of it is being dealt with now, because some of it isn't ready. But I have been lessening the pressure by dealing with bits at a time.

So, find someone that you can work with (because you're not going to gel with every psychologist, or every method they use either). Might take a few tries, but once you find one that works for you, you should be able to start building that trust so you can talk to them about the real problems.

Last edited:
I had my first real date and many others at a local drive in movie theater called the Admiral Twin. You might know it as one of the main backdrops in the Francis Ford Coppola movie "The Outsiders" starring Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise among others. I loved that place as it held a special place in my heart, today that movie theater burned down. I seriously almost cried over the destruction of a movie screen :cry:. Link

3563473395_96f3d0348d_b.jpg

Admiral_Twin_DriveIn_G8f521643-d8ef-4756-9724-dfcb65200b510000_20100903160804_640_480.JPG