Random Thoughts....

A friend gave me a lovely old vial full of mercury today. It's preposterously heavy, and I giggle every time I pick it up because I don't expect it to be that heavy.

Well, you are only 2 hours from Texarkana....

New York Times February 1 said:
Mercury, a highly toxic liquid metal, has become the latest drug of choice for many teen-agers in Texarkana, a city on the Arkansas-Texas border. In a bizarre outbreak, young people have confessed to stealing 20 pounds of mercury from an abandoned neon-sign plant and smoking mercury-dipped cigarettes. Some officials say that teen-agers have even snorted the stuff. Nobody has died yet, but one mercury-abusing teen-ager was hospitalized with seizures and vomiting. Experts aren't sure about what the appeal is. ''Kids think mercury is so cool,'' says Dave Hall, the emergency-management coordinator for Texarkana. ''When we talk to them, they laugh. Sadly, more teen-agers are becoming sick because of stupidity.''

A bunch of morons, those kids.

:lol:

Well then.

Kind of reminds me, but not really even related to that stupid behavior (but they shouldn't be procreating, really) when the local schools where I lived banned raw ramen noodles from being eaten or even taken on school campuses. Apparently parents complained or someone complained about how unhealthy they were or something like that.

If you were caught by the massive amount of cameras that were everywhere on campus there I think the punishments were like detention or something ridiculous.

Kind of reminds me, but not really even related to that stupid behavior (but they shouldn't be procreating, really) when the local schools where I lived banned raw ramen noodles from being eaten or even taken on school campuses. Apparently parents complained or someone complained about how unhealthy they were or something like that.

If you were caught by the massive amount of cameras that were everywhere on campus there I think the punishments were like detention or something ridiculous.

How many students starved because of that?

I'm not sure. From what it seemed most just went off campus anyway without having a car and did whatever.

I'm thinking many students starved during school anyway though because the food was crap.

That was terribly common though. Supposedly after the school system I went to high school with banned it, a bunch of other school systems around the general area in CA started it too.

Some didn't get quite the harsh punishment, but some did so it depended. I think you got detention or Saturday school or something if you did it more than once. I think it was a warning and taking away of the ramen on the first offense, and then harsher punishment 2nd time and beyond. Apparently those parents really seemed quite upset about the health effects or something.

And people wonder why I think California should be hit by several neutron bombs.

Oh no. This area is a redneck/republican (Tea Party) part of CA. (My Dad lived there so I ended up there despite having a history of living in unredneck areas.)

Aka Redding, CA. Home of 96% White population in which many are not afraid to tell you that they are racist upon first greetings.

People there are CRAAAAAAAAAZY. I'm also pretty sure every driver there is out to kill anyone who actually knows how to drive. Why do you think I GTFO'ed after high school. But then I moved to an even worse area where people fly Confederate flags in front of their houses and display them as those dangerous sticky things on their back windows.

I see the stupid has spread. Where I live I know some parents and teachers at my sister's school were griping about it. It's raw ramen noodles. The only thing bad about that is the amount of salt in the packet. That's it.

Yeah, well the students would of course open the packet and crush the noodles with the packet seasoning.

The parents were complaining about how unhealthy the raw noodles were more than the packets around here though.

This was also quite a few years ago... I think like 2002 or something. It still stands as far as I have heard.

I just thought it was harsh to get detention for having it more than once because it went on your record or the other instructors/admin heard about it so they all knew who tried to bring raw ramen to school. x-x