Random Thoughts....

Personally movie versions of half hour shows, animated or otherwise, never seem to work for me. South Park, The Simpsons and the Beavis & Butthead movies were all pretty poor IMHO, and the same goes for the feature adaptations of things like Rising Damp and Porridge. In fact the only TV adaptations of any sort that I can think of that worked were the Star Trek and Mission Impossible films.

pretty good point actually. i thought the movie version of The Thick of it (think it was called 'In the Loop') was alright but not as great as the tv series it was based on. However the movie version of the X Files i thought was really good and tied into the mythology of the series incredibly well (the first one that is, not seen the second one yet).
Thats the biggest problem with adaptions really, and books suffer from this the most. when you go see a film adapted from something, your going to see it with a impression already in your mind. when the version you see begins to differ from the version in your head, thats when the film begins to fail.

Good point Jedd. I think that's why I was so disappointed with the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. A good mate of mine and I had been casting it in our heads since about 1990 and with a couple of exceptions I was really underwhelmed by their choices. Plus the reworking of the story grated with me and I left the cinema massively disappointed.

don't think Alan Rickman's voice was the right choice either. He's a great actor and its nothing against his skill, but i just didn't think it was depressing enough. The original voice of Marvin was far more depressing and dull.

It's probably a fucking travesty compared to the older seasons however, but I'm yet to find that out though I am gradually working my way back through the seasons.
It's different from the first series in that it's produced "properly". While tracing paper and crude animations do have their charm, it wears off after a while and gives an impression that the creators aren't really trying. The series has also shifted somewhat towards social criticism, but luckily, everyone is fair game.

Can anyone give me a reason why we only have 19 members from France and of that Teeb is the only person who has really contributed in a major way. I don't think he even lives in France. :lol:

Can anyone give me a reason why we only have 19 members from France and of that Teeb is the only person who has really contributed in a major way. I don't think he even lives in France. :lol:

It's a fansite for a car show where there are fewer cars on fire than ones there aren't. Maybe Jeremy's penchant for setting cars on fire is a way to attract French viewers.

Went to the dentist today for my regular 6 month cleaning/check-up and found out that I might need a root canal and a crown....:blows brains out:

He used to, now he lives in Canada.

Also, it's because they are French.

He used to, now he lives in Canada.

Also, it's because they are French.

I believe you are thinking of Killpanda... and I thought Teeb was a Scotsman living in France for school.

Another reason might be that the French are notoriously bad/not very eager to learn foreigh languages, and generaly tend to stick with french spoken websites, they aren't exposed that much to English in general anyway.
Remember these people dub English spoken TV-shows and movies so that Sean Connery sounds like a gay hairdresser and see nothing wrong with that :p

Went to the dentist today for my regular 6 month cleaning/check-up and found out that I might need a root canal and a crown....:blows brains out:

I got told that too, well only the crown part, just tell them you're pregnant and they'll fix it without all that crap :mrgreen:

Another reason might be that the French are notoriously bad/not very eager to learn foreigh languages, and generaly tend to stick with french spoken websites, they aren't exposed that much to English in general anyway.
Remember these people dub English spoken TV-shows and movies so that Sean Connery sounds like a gay hairdresser and see nothing wrong with that :p

What's with people who speak French hating all other languages so much? Like how Quebec has "language police" to ensure signs are all french and nutters who firebombed Second Cup coffee shops because it wasn't some french name.

Garlic, like cannabis, can cause long term psychotic effects if taken to excess.

Good point Jedd. I think that's why I was so disappointed with the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. A good mate of mine and I had been casting it in our heads since about 1990 and with a couple of exceptions I was really underwhelmed by their choices. Plus the reworking of the story grated with me and I left the cinema massively disappointed.

What? Adams always intended the movie to have a romantic angle and a slightly different run of events, that's one of the main reasons i didnt hate the movie, he knew the canon story wouldnt properly work in movie format without doing all 5

What? Adams always intended the movie to have a romantic angle and a slightly different run of events, that's one of the main reasons i didnt hate the movie, he knew the canon story wouldnt properly work in movie format without doing all 5

while the story didn't bother me so much (i know Adams had written in Humma Kavula into the movie script and the truth perception gun). what bothered me mostly was their casting choices. Sam Rockwell wasn't a good choice to be Zaphod Beeblebrox and Mos Def was awful as Ford Prefect. in fact the only cast i think they did get right was Martin Freeman as Arthur Dent, Zoey Deschanel as Trillian (but thats mostly because i can never say no to Zoey) Billy Bailey as the voice of the whale and of course Stephen Fry as the voice of the book, however Stephen Fry is awesome in any role you put him in and doesn't really count. The rest just felt all wrong. also at times it felt like the Director wasn't really confident with the source material which is always a big warning sign.

Not disagreeing with you. I guess I'm old fashioned but I suppose I just wanted to see the original story made awesome for the big screen with the chance of sequels. Not knocking the film at all. I just had the wrong kind of expectations. I stick by what I said re the casting though. Zaphod was totally wrong, Marvin could have been better and the Book lacked a certain gravitas. Just my views of course.

Just for the record my friend and I agreed, some years ago I admit, on the following:
Arthur Dent - Hugh Laurie
Ford Prefect - Jeff Goldblum
Zaphod - Will Smith
Trillian - Helena Bonham-Carter
Marvin - Dustin Hoffman
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz - Jack Nicholson (Because Brando was dead)
Slartibartfast - Morgan Freeman (Because George Burns and Walter Matthau were dead)
Mr Prosser - Danny De Vito
The Book - John Hurt or Anthony Hopkins (Because Richard Burton was dead)
Barman - Ted Danson
Shooty and Bang Bang - Gibson and Glover

Of course our casting budget was unlimited!!! ;)

EDIT: Must spread more babel fish before sticking one in jedd Kenobi's ear again. Apart from the book I agreee with you on all of those.

Last edited:
To be fair, the books were different from the radio series, and so on; the thing continually morphs as it changes formats. You have hit the nail on the head as to why adaptations are less fun if you're already familiar with the source: the fact that you've gotten ahead of the producers and scriptwriters in filling in the blanks.