Random Thoughts....

But if people don't like hipsters... does that mean that they don't exist?

But if people don't like hipsters... does that mean that they don't exist?

Nah, and I should know.

I've been hating hipsters for way longer than any of you guys.

I think that MWF was being ironic...

...which still shows that he's a hipster.

Ironic, huh?

Reactions: MWF
Last edited:
Working with incompetents is bad enough, working with Seventh Day Adventist incompetents that have asinine conversations at lunch is even worse. One of them said that if evolution were true, why couldn't scientists just give us a video of it taking place. It took all my willpower to not jump over the table and beat her to death with my stalk of celery.

Dammit have to spread more Creationist fuckwits yadda yadda

They added beleif number 11 in 2005!

Oh well good on them then. On the plus side the teach religious freedom and tolerance.

"The church is also known for its emphasis on diet and health, its holistic understanding of the person, its promotion of religious liberty, and its conservative principles and lifestyle".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church

Working with incompetents is bad enough, working with Seventh Day Adventist incompetents that have asinine conversations at lunch is even worse. One of them said that if evolution were true, why couldn't scientists just give us a video of it taking place. It took all my willpower to not jump over the table and beat her to death with my stalk of celery.
I'll be boring for yet another moment:

depending on the duration of one generation of whatever species you're observing, evolution can certainly happen in relatively short timespans and be witnessed by humans. You would probably need a very good microscope (scientific instrument, so a religious nutter would discount the video on that basis alone) to make it visible to the human eye and, since your standard overly religious person "doesn't have time" for actual science, you'd also need to speed the video up a fair bit. But you could definitely do it.

I'll be boring for yet another moment:

depending on the duration of one generation of whatever species you're observing, evolution can certainly happen in relatively short timespans and be witnessed by humans. You would probably need a very good microscope (scientific instrument, so a religious nutter would discount the video on that basis alone) to make it visible to the human eye and, since your standard overly religious person "doesn't have time" for actual science, you'd also need to speed the video up a fair bit. But you could definitely do it.

Evolution only exists across generations, so yes you would need very short generation time ie. Drosophila Melanogaster or almost every form of bacteria. You cannot see it in any appreciable way across a species, not selected individuals or populations, over the short term.

Actually it's been proven using fruit flies. Featured in a BBC Horizon documentary a few years ago iirc.

OK my turn to feel dumb. I thought that was a virus or something. At least they are still evolving.

Unlike Seventh Day Adventists.........

God, I love feeling content. Weather's lovely. Muscles are burning. Flat's clean. Tea's delicious...

In other news, WOW, Finnish is a tough language. It's been steadily sinking in, but it's not even a tiny bit easy. Humbles me and my language-oriented mind.

So the last 2 grad schools I was waiting on for responses just came in today.

It's official. It's fucking official.

I've been rejected from EVERY school I applied to. Every single one.

I know why, and there are 2 parameters. One is GPA (which I can do nothing about now) and the other one is the physics GRE (which I can retake). But honestly... what's the chance that retaking the physics GRE and getting a good score will allow me in on the second round? I have a decade of research experience to back me up. A DECADE. No-one else fucking has that. I FUCKING have that. But I guess that wasn't enough. So there's no fucking guarantee.

I'm so glad that I've made my parents, friends, and family so proud. I got a below 3.0 GPA at berkeley, I graduated 1.5 years late, I got a horrid score on the physics GRE and look at all the goddamned schools just fucking LINING up to accept me.

ALSO TOMORROW IS MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. I realized that this morning. I feel so fucking happy to exist on this planet and to have gone around the sun one more fucking time.

Sorry LP - I went through the same thing back when I was considering studying classical piano at a conservatory. I applied to the UCs as academic backups, but I really wanted to study music (Eastman, Peabody, Juilliard, Royal College of Music, and Royal Academy of Music...) and after flying back and forth from the coasts for a month straight for auditions and thousands of bucks down the drain (bless my dear parents)... nadda. Yeah.

But hey, maybe this article will help - it's Peter Thiel, but hey, I kinda' like the guy:

But hey, maybe this article will help - it's Peter Thiel, but hey, I kinda' like the guy:

Interesting, I agree with the general premise of this article, but from the other end of the spectrum: all those for-profit colleges advertising vocational degrees on daytime TV. These companies and the lenders behind them are the new subprime mortgages, and unlike housing, it's much harder to foreclose on an education.