Random Thoughts....

Originally Posted by Hidden_Hunter
Just more middle class welfare for bogans that pop out as many kids as they can - same as every budget really
You know that this post has just given you ignoramus of the year status?

An expert in 21st Century Australian current affairs are we?

I agree with Hidden_Hunter. This budget could've been OK, but Labour have ruined it by returning to type and demonstrated that they can't even learn from their own mistakes, let alone those of others.

This set-top-box business is outrageous. The previous policy of this kind (involving free roofing insulation) amounted to nothing more than government sponsored vandalism of "ordinary citizens" homes. This new policy gives the same shysters the opportunity to fleece the tax payer ($400 for something worth $30) whilst entering the homes of some of our most vulnerable citizens with a view to later returning to rob them.

It works with a lot of things actually they claimed they invented/made. Like Whisky for example. Distillation of grains to produce alcohol was more of a Chinese honed method which was apparently brought to Ireland before Scotland even figured it out an' stopped bashing two rocks together.

i think they're still trying to work on that theory.

I want to start watching Doctor Who (the new series)... Should I just start with David Tennant or is it best to watch series 1 with Christopher Eccleston?

I want to start watching Doctor Who (the new series)... Should I just start with David Tennant or is it best to watch series 1 with Christopher Eccleston?

Probs' best to start with Eccleston, I would recommend it as there are some fantastic episodes in that first series.

Tennant >>>>>> Eccleston. I'm pretty sure it's just the writers' fault though. You could start with The Christmas Invasion, you won't really miss anything if you skip the first season to get caught up faster, but you should probably watch the first season at some point because it's still good even if the Doctor's not as good.

Yeah I think I'll start with season 2 just for the sake of time.

There are some plot themes in the Eccleston series that appear down the track. But nothing that should really derail the storyline.

Faarrrrrrrrrrk that was a good lunch.

lol, only me and one other guy in I.T. today (out of a total 8)...

And for the sake of your sanity, skip Love & Monsters; that episode was an atrocity.

I started in the middle of David Tennant's run...more thanks to a friend, the very first episode I watched was if I remember correctly The End of Time. So I started with Tennant, and at first when I tried to watch the first series I gave up because I couldn't stand Eccleston as the Doctor. And I still can't stand Rose, but Tennant made her at least bearable. Still hate the last two episodes of series 2, Army of Ghosts and Doomsday, thanks to her.

In my opinion, I guess it doesn't really matter. There's probably some references you won't get if you don't watch Eccleston first, but its not so important. The only big thing is how Jack Harkness comes into things, but he doesn't appear with Tennant until the end of series 3...

Really, the choice is all up to you.

Phasing out analogue TV are we?
Yep, switching off in a few regions this year, and I think most others by next year.

That's still crazy if so, when we did that the government provided $40 coupons for units that generally cost $40-60...
They're saying that its going to equal about $350 per set-top box on average. Completely ridiculous, the things cost like $50, the rest is to cover "installation costs"... who charges $300 to plug in some wires for an old lady?

I agree with GerFix that this will lead to people taking advantage of the people who's homes they enter. Also, like the insulation rebates and later solar panels, it will create a momentarily huge demand for employment, and then when the rebates are taken away, the demand will dry up and hundreds will be left out of jobs. Anyway, it's all political nonsense.

The analogue signal to the Ballarat region was shut off not long ago. I bought a $60 set-top box (only because the cheapest ones were gone by the time I got around to it) for our main telly and set it up in 5mins. I'm probably the least tech-savy person on here for all I know, and I did it with no problem. Seriously, how hard can it be?

Admittedly there are 'black spots' in town (mostly hilly areas in the east) that have trouble picking up the digital signal without better roof aerials being installed, the same areas which have had troubles with getting clear TV reception in the past to begin with and lead to people's houses being fitted with ugly behemoths for aerials that you can see sticking up from k's away.