Random Thoughts....

The way I understand it is they have a record of all properties for which there is no current license. They either use detector vans to ascertain whether a TV is being used in an unlicensed property but this doesn't work for apartments, only single house residences because AFAIK they base the detection on horizontal triangulation.

For flats and apartment buildings they tend to knock on the door and they do have the right to enter the property to check whether there is a TV there. If there is and there is no license they can either issue an on the spot fine or, more commonly, sell you a license there and then.

Your friend is best simply to allow them access to prove there is no TV and explain the length of her stay. Chances are she won't be bothered again and she shouldn't have to give them any details apart possibly for her name. They are, in my experience, reasonable and friendly people and are armed with nothing more threatening than ballpoint pens and clipboards.

Just remembered what Jason Bourne did with a ballpoint pen. Fortunately TV License Inspectors don't get Special Ops training. At least I don't think they do.

These detector vans are a lie MWF. You can't detect something like a TV that is just receiving and not sending stuff, a common myth here in Germany too ;)

Even when hooked up to computer as monitor? With removed TV tuner?

Cos technically I *could* hook up a TV tuner to my current monitor using an HDMI-DVI adapter and wire sound to speakers...

In that case they would ask you to turn on the TV with tuner removed to ensure it was only functioning as a monitor. As for the other option, I'm not sure but they aren't that bright so I would expect them to accept the PC as a PC and not as an improvised TV.

Bear in mind these guys are, in effect, a part of HM Customs and Excise. These guys technically have more powers than the Police, the Armed Forces and MI5 and 6.

They think you have come back from the Continent with a load of alcohol and tobacco that is for resale and not for personal use? They can seize it. You can't stop them.

And then they ask you to remove your luggage and personal belongings and seize and crush your car too. And they do. It's not just something they have the power to do. It happens. A lot.

EDIT: Never knew that about the vans, thanks D-Fence. I guess they just hung around outside unlicensed properties and looked for telltale flickering through a gap in the curtains. Crafty bastards!

Last edited:
He's a complete ass! I lol everytime he's on :p

I love him, he spends more time making rubbish small talk and comparing weather features to ghosts than actually telling you if it's going to be sunny tomorrow. He's my second favourite weatherman to Tim "Rhyme Master" Bailey, who's latest gem "let's go to the satellite, where we get it right, each and every night" is best described as 'arousing'.

These detector vans are a lie MWF. You can't detect something like a TV that is just receiving and not sending stuff, a common myth here in Germany too ;)
No you can - it is difficult but possible, same for seeing what is on a PC screen too unless specially screened - TVs and normal PCs are not.

All receivers are transmitters as well. The fact that at the most there were only about 12 TV detector vans throughtout the country is totally another matter. Probably none left now as they now use other methods for checking - see below.

The truth is a mix of the attached (i.e. it is possible, but they do not do it):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-22440,00.html

Sudden and highly urgent need for noms.

Now satisfied with a large mature Cheddar cheese and beetroot sandwich with mayo and black pepper.

:)

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :p

Yeah yeah yeah, think what you will. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, me mam's taken to calling him a "Garden Gnome." We bought him a bright green Quicksilver bobble hat an' a bright red check Animal hoodie when he was over, which he tells me he still ain't washed yet. The colour combination an' 5'2" height in me mother's eyes = Garden Gnome. :lol:

Ok, I am stumped. I have 2 malfunctioning computers that diagnostically are fine. WTF is going on.

Ok, I am stumped. I have 2 malfunctioning computers that diagnostically are fine. WTF is going on.

What do you mean "diagnostically"?

Are they plugged in? :p

Also, how the hell are you posting?

Last edited:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

This one just got back from apple in california after having the wifi card replace, it still is dropping the internet and is the only one in the house doing it. The other one won't boot from it's internal drive AGAIN (second time in the last 4 days) and I ran all the disc repairs and checks and it says it is fine. It will however, boot from the install disk and the external drive.

Sudden and highly urgent need for noms.

Now satisfied with a large mature Cheddar cheese and beetroot sandwich with mayo and black pepper.

:)

Somehow I see flavours potentially clashing. Needs something in the middle so it doesn't taste all 'condiment sandwich' methinks.

I find it works really well, tang of the cheese, sweet, cool moistness of the beetroot, a bite of black pepper and creamy mayo.

The beetroot isn't pickled, just cooked.

Call Recursion:

Recursion <do stuff here including calculated stuff>

If calculated stuff = stuff you want end:

else

Call recursion

WTF Cobol74 this does not work in IBM Cobol - it does in some (Burroughs Cobol it used to work) though depends upon the compiler.

Last edited: