Random Thoughts....

When you say parameters, do you mean variables?

If so, I'm the complete opposite. In my past physics and elec. engineering courses I always preferred problems that gave me gammas and thetas to work with rather than numbers.

I'm like BCS, it's easier for me to do "bookkeeping" on a problem if I'm solving it numerically instead of symbolically.

I'm like BCS, it's easier for me to do "bookkeeping" on a problem if I'm solving it numerically instead of symbolically.

That's really something, then. I keep it in the realm of symbol manipulation for as long as I can, and only do the numbers in the end if it was really asked for.

I guess during mech. engineering you do need concrete numbers a whole lot more than in a physics class, though. :p

When you say parameters, do you mean variables?

If so, I'm the complete opposite. In my past physics and elec. engineering courses I always preferred problems that gave me gammas and thetas to work with rather than numbers.

Yeah, for us parameters are sort of like variables, in that they can theoretically have many values. However, I make the distinction because for a given equation a parameter will only have one value for that situation, while a true variable can have many.

For example, if y is a function of x, then in the equation y=kx-l, y and x are variables while k and l are parameters, ie unknown constants.

But, yeah, I'm a Civil engg and I'd much prefer to work with concrete. Numbers, that is. ;)

My friends came up to visit me and brought a 30 case of beer. Only 1 was drank because we were out all night.

My goal is to drink the other 29 by the time I go home for the summer (Thursday).

Also, beer is good to drown your sorrows. :beer:

Well, its almost as bad.. its Coors, which is actually a nice change from every college kid's favorite, Miller Lite. :thumbsdown:

I know I'll kill them by Thursday, its just when I open the refrigerator and look at them all I get a bit ill. I wish it was a 30 case of Yuengling instead.

I went to a mate's house last night and we had 2 x 360's all hooked up playing Halo3. 8 people going utterly nuts over a computer game, I felt like I was at a cool lan party.

It also helped that we were consuming many beers and whiskey's. Classic.

Next week it's gonna be a Mario Kart Wii party.

Well, its almost as bad.. its Coors, which is actually a nice change from every college kid's favorite, Miller Lite. :thumbsdown:

I know I'll kill them by Thursday, its just when I open the refrigerator and look at them all I get a bit ill. I wish it was a 30 case of Yuengling instead.

College kids drinking beer with the word "lite" in it? Damn. Where's their sense of dignity?

Has nothing to do with dignity, has everything to do with $

Girls also seem to prefer Miller than other brands. I found a lot of them feel "comfortable" with it. I guess they know they can handle it? I think it tastes like shit and does not get me drunk. Then again, if I have a good beer I'm not pounding them to get hammered. I like to enjoy a good beer.

Damnit Cobol, now when I get my first paycheck in 2 weeks I'm going to have to get a case of Sam Adams. :lol:

Last edited:
urgh the government is claiming that doubling the tax on premix drinks it to prevent teenage girls drinking it.

WHO CAN'T EVEN BUY THE FUCKING STUFF LEGALLY

Why? They don't pay for it their boyfriends/guys who want to get in their pants pay for it.

Our lot are thinking about increasing taxes too - 'to stop the binge drinking culture'. What gets me is that they have tried this all before and it failed - get the police to nick a few and give them huge fines that would stop it. So why are they doing really? The answer is, of course, to replace the shrinking tobacco revenue as smoking continues to decline. Ta da!

When I say huge I mean huge - couple of hundred for first offense would do I think.

Thats all asinine. We all pay enough as it is.

You know what else is asinine? It is illegal to buy alcohol in another state (which is much cheaper) and then "import" it to Pennsylvania. Why? Because there was a huge flood in the mid 1800s in a small town that doesn't matter in the middle of Pennsylvania and to get revenue for the town they made it illegal to buy from another state and jacked up prices here.

So when I'm home in Philadelphia and want to take the 10 minute trip to New Jersey to buy extremely cheap alcohol, I can be stopped and fined $100 for each container they find.

THE FUCKING 1800s! I think the town has recovered by now.

Why? They don't pay for it their boyfriends/guys who want to get in their pants pay for it.

yeah pretty much and it's usually the same damn people who buy it for their kids that have a winge when they turn up drunk in a gutter the next day.

I'm sick of girls expecting guys to buy them drinks. I can barely afford to eat I'm not buying you a damn drink.

I know this was covered in a thread a while ago but its true. Buy me a drink, why don't we try that out for a while.

I had a Miller Lite today...it was surprisingly good, actually. Considering our fraternity sunk to new depths and bought Natty ICE for a party last night, I'm glad I didn't drink that much. <_<

Thats all asinine. We all pay enough as it is.

You know what else is asinine? It is illegal to buy alcohol in another state (which is much cheaper) and then "import" it to Pennsylvania. Why? Because there was a huge flood in the mid 1800s in a small town that doesn't matter in the middle of Pennsylvania and to get revenue for the town they made it illegal to buy from another state and jacked up prices here.

So when I'm home in Philadelphia and want to take the 10 minute trip to New Jersey to buy extremely cheap alcohol, I can be stopped and fined $100 for each container they find.

THE FUCKING 1800s! I think the town has recovered by now.
Well, at least you guys have Lion's Head: "Best Head in Town". And I agree, it's damn good beer for cheap.

As for beer taxes...they can raise the shit out of them as much as they like in order to curtail "underage drinking" (which is a load of malarky anyway, especially in the US), but kids are still gonna get their hands on the stuff. When there's a will, there's a pricey and convoluted way.