DONOR
Car(s)
03 Ford Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
I have a question I'd like to ask an American- Is it true that in America, chow mien doesn't have noodles in it?

Also, is it true that Americans call their main course an "entree"?
First one - no. Even cheap algicized "Chinese" fast food chains have noodles in the chow mien. How do you not have noodles in chow mien?

Second - yes.

As for all the other Chinese food discussion - it depends greatly on where you are. I can drive to a market 10 minutes from where I'm sitting and buy prawn chips if I want. The west coast has some fantastic authentic Asian food from specific regions in China - Cantonese and Hunan food is very different, Taiwanese style Chinese food has some notable differences from mainland China, etc. In fact, some of the best Chinese chefs in the world are out of Los Angeles, where there is a huge Asian population. I don't expect a "Chinese" place in Pocatello, Idaho to be representative of anything other than what country-bumpkin Americans think Chinese food is.

And that doesn't even get into Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, or other more regional foods from Asia.

Last edited:

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
As we moved back to that conversation, something I didn't brought up was this one time that I ordered chow mein at a restaurant...and was presented with everything that comes on chow mein, no noodles, and then something that resembled flat crackers made of noodle dough on another plate.

It was quite bizarre.

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
That sounds more like a chef who is trying for haute cuisine rather than something that is authentic.

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
The restaurant would only be called mediocre at the best of times; but that's probably the case, yes.

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
It’s weird hanging around the airport when you aren’t actually going anywhere or picking up/dropping someone off.

gaasc

DONOR
Car(s)
3 of them
It’s weird hanging around the airport when you aren’t actually going anywhere or picking up/dropping someone off.
Not really. some airports have quite nice restaurants outside of security and it's relaxing to see people coming and going about their business. Then again, maybe I am weird.

Blind_Io

DONOR
Car(s)
Not really. some airports have quite nice restaurants outside of security and it's relaxing to see people coming and going about their business. Then again, maybe I am weird.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
I received an email today from a client that included their preferred pronouns. Apparently it's a company-wide initiative for them.

I'm thankful for this. Not from a gender identity perspective, but from the perspective of someone who will ALWAYS guess the wrong gender for a name from another country that I've never heard before, even if I google it first. :lol:

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
if you search "near my current location" on yelp at my home, 3 of the top-10-rated restaurants in the area are at the airport, and 8 of the top 20.