Random Thoughts....

i-m-lovin-it.jpg

Holy shit is that easy. Fuck copper piping. I Need to fix a leak in my heating system and want to add floor heating to my kitchen by way of mounting tubing underneath from the basement. I know PEX is the new hotness and is really what should be done everywhere, but I didn't know how easy. So, that's cool.

I've been watching Rich Tretheway install radiant heating for years via This Old House.

You have homework.

DON’T!!!

The problem is I WANT panel radiators under every window in my house, but then I look at my bank account...

DON’T!!!

The problem is I WANT panel radiators under every window in my house, but then I look at my bank account...

Move to the UK (probably other places in Europe) and you will already have them. Simples.

Anyway, I'm having one of these days:
ColossalSilentBluebreastedkookaburra-size_restricted.gif

Can't tell you why, it's a secret. Shush.

The biggest thing is, Buderus wants somewhere between $380-550 depending on length and fitting every room is a bit much. These baseboard radiators controlled by a central thermostat is not ideal and while I have an idea with what I want to do, I'm not exactly amazing when it comes to doing these projects...

Hot water system scare me, I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'd much rather deal with electricity or electronics than water or steam.

Hot water system scare me, I'm not ashamed to admit that. I'd much rather deal with electricity or electronics than water or steam.

I wish I remembered more from school but honestly, the worst of it is some of the piping is under the floor or behind wall moulding and I cannot do flooring so I don't want to screw things up...

What the hell is...."heating"? :p

What the hell is...."heating"? :p

It's the opposite of when you get too hot and need help to cool down. Without it, instead of passing out, bits of you can... drop off.

@93Flareside Anything you can do to your windows to improve the insulation? What I wrote above reminded me of this old advert, it actually took me far too much effort to get this clip...

Maybe Techmoan has a career as a lookalike.

It's the opposite of when you get too hot and need help to cool down. Without it, instead of passing out, bits of you can... drop off.

@93Flareside Anything you can do to your windows to improve the insulation? What I wrote above reminded me of this old advert, it actually took me far too much effort to get this clip...

Maybe Techmoan has a career as a lookalike.

Yeah.... I already have double glaze windows, the biggest problem is they don't seal tightly at the bottom edge. The problem I have is, the thermostat in the center of my house, controls a pump that sends hot water from one to the next radiator, there's no low loss header that seperates water flow from boiler water, think like 2 doughnuts rotating but they connect. 2 circulating loops, the low loss header is the connection in the middle. You're supposed to do that but they didn't with mine so when the thermostat hits setpoint, the pump stops and water flow stops in the boiler and the burners stays on until the boiler control shuts the burner off. It's poorly done so what makes me think the rest of the system is any good?

Sounds like me with all the watches I have sitting around that need service work. I do it all day so I don't have the energy to fix more at home, even though they're mine.

I suspect you could make a decent few steps toward remedying your system problems if you picked up a smarter (not necessarily a wifi internet connected smarter) thermostat with a remote sensor or two. A thermostat that knows it's got a compound system (water loop and boiler) that it needs to control (much like how they already handle the indoor circulating fan and compressor on the AC side independently) should be able to run the boiler more appropriately while also keeping the circulation pump running longer. The remote sensors in your problem areas would help it out as well.

What it feels like to end the last session on a Friday after doing therapy with healthcare workers pulling 50+ hour weeks during a pandemic:

The "new" kewl thing is to run cold water in summer in the same system to cool the place.
Some places in Helsinki have district heating and district cooling.

The "new" kewl thing is to run cold water in summer in the same system to cool the place.

Never heard of that before, is that with water to air heating/cooling rather than radiators?

How humid does it get in the summer? I imagine you'd end up with condensation wherever the cold water passes.

^ not good for wood.

The ring app providing more hilariousness - https://neighbors.ring.com/n/3MV6Bno5Vp - so a few miles a way at 6am they get a ring with what I think is a man in a bad wig (even if that is a women its a bad wig) truckers hat, multiple bags, methed up face... Category is TROUBLE

3aeb2416046335200fbf780bf6e107d5--drag-queens.jpg

Everyday I think of the possibility... the possibility of an undiagnosed brain tumor.