Random Thoughts....

I'm back to work tomorrow. Bastards want me to actually do something for those monthly pay cheques.

I'm back to work tomorrow. Bastards want me to actually do something for those monthly pay cheques.

How can those bastards be so cruel? KILL 'EM ALL!!

Woo, a silver lining to my day! My Lamy Safari fountain pen came (calling Nabster!). :)

It's really great. I wish I would have had one of these things ages ago. My handwriting is absolute rubbish, but this pen is forcing me to grip and handle it with the proper technique, otherwise no ink comes out. It's already done wonders for my penmanship. My cursive isn't a sloppy mess anymore! :D

As for the pen specifics, the nib is a bit scratchy, but then my paper is cheap and my desk is rough. The overall quality is very nice, though I need some black ink. I'm not a fan of blue ink.

You'll learn quickly how horrible standard copy paper is. I'd recommend at least a 24lb paper for a wet writing pen. Alternately, Staples brand eco friendly paper is a very good and cheap paper for fountain pens. As for the scratchiness, that may go away on it's own as your writing position finds the sweet spot for the nib, and/or you could improve it a bit by writing out a bunch of figure eights or your name or something on one of the brown paper bags you get from a grocery store. A few minutes of that usually smooths out a new nib.

Don't forget you should flush out the pen thoroughly since it's new, to remove any oils or manufacturing remnants, or it may be a hard starter or skip a bit. Cool water and a drop of dish washing liquid works well. I use an ear syringe to force water through pens, but you can just let it soak a bit then blow if you don't have something similar handy. Also keep in mind different inks behave vastly different in different pens, so if it isn't working well for you try a different brand/color of ink. Here's a very good resource for ink reviews and opinions (if you find yourself in the pen reviews or marketplace at that forum be prepared to start spending more money than you anticipate).

IMAG0006.jpg

Hahahahah my brother is awesome, we get each other gag gifts (he got me a nice knife block for my Birthday)

You'll learn quickly how horrible standard copy.....

Yes, right now I am using an old graphing notebook I had lying around. It's not Molskine, but it is certainly better than paper stolen from my printer.

It's amazing how long it has been since I last wrote in proper full cursive. I actually had to print out a kid's guide on how to write in cursive to remember some of the uppercase letters. :rolleyes:

Yes, right now I am using an old graphing notebook I had lying around. It's not Molskine, but it is certainly better than paper stolen from my printer.

It's amazing how long it has been since I last wrote in proper full cursive. I actually had to print out a kid's guide on how to write in cursive to remember some of the uppercase letters. :rolleyes:

We had to write a sentence in cursive as part of a preliminary agreement to the SAT test. Some people literally did not know how.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to, err, mix in a little bit of faux cursive when I took the SAT. Embarrassing.
I was just so resistant to learning cursive when I was young that I never properly learned it.

That's okay, most of my teachers in high school made up their own cursive letters.
A programming teacher with the last name of Zackis in particular explained that he doesn't like the proper cursive Z because "It looks like the scratch done on the edge of a page to get ink flowing."

My grandmother just returned from a vacation in Russia and I asked her to bring me back some Ruble coins as a souvenir... She somehow returns with some Rubles, Euros, New Shekels (Israel), and Lipa (Croatia)...odd.

Is that sarcasm, I can't tell :)
Perhaps your grandmother is a real blue-haired devil. I just don't think luring her into your car under false pretenses, essentially kidnapping her, then driving around until you get an answer your seeking. Which you probably wont get, so then you dump her out and leave her to walk home. :blink:

Both my Grandmother's are slightly bigoted, and one thinks Poland led the resistance against the axis more than all the Allies combined. But I still couldn't imagine ever harming them.

We had to write a sentence in cursive as part of a preliminary agreement to the SAT test. Some people literally did not know how.

Errrr... I don't know anything about that...

Yeah, I had to, err, mix in a little bit of faux cursive when I took the SAT. Embarrassing.
I was just so resistant to learning cursive when I was young that I never properly learned it.

Errr... I don't know anything about this either.

My grandmother just returned from a vacation in Russia and I asked her to bring me back some Ruble coins as a souvenir... She somehow returns with some Rubles, Euros, New Shekels (Israel), and Lipa (Croatia)...odd.

At least she didn't find old Shekels. That'd be really weird. How the heck did she find Shekels in Russia? that's impressive.

Errrr... I don't know anything about that...

Errr... I don't know anything about this either.

At least she didn't find old Shekels. That'd be really weird. How the heck did she find Shekels in Russia? that's impressive.

aren't israel and russia tight?

aren't israel and russia tight?

Well... define "tight." There are lots of Russians living in Israel but mostly because of severe religious persecution. And yes Russia will sell weapons to anyone with cash, but I wouldn't really call the relationship chummy.