Random Thoughts....

Using a bank card (whether it's a debit card or a "check card") online is a really bad idea - most banks could give far fewer than two shits about getting things fixed in a timely fashion if you get scammed or something otherwise goes wrong. Which means that during the duration of the error, your money is tied up and can't be used for other things. Indeed, I know of several people personally who have had vendors abuse their debit cards and had the bank turn right around and say "Oh, that's too bad. You'll have to take it up with the vendor. We like overdraft fees, NOM NOM NOM"

Credit card companies, for all their ills, are actually extremely good at proactively detecting fraud and resolving issues. But even when they're slow as shit, it hasn't tied up any ACTUAL money. And that applies to prettymuch any credit card in the universe (except, perhaps, by reputation, those issued by HSBC - which includes the vast majority of store cards. HSBC in general hates the shit out of customers.)

Beyond that, if you step outside the safe, comfortable, accepted-anywhere, bank-issued realm of Visa and MasterCard and look at the cards issued by actual credit card companies (Discover and AmEx) credit cards become extremely useful tools. Discover cards are notorious for having some of the most productive rewards programs in all of creation, and AmEx members get free extended warranties and car rental insurance, and craptons more. They also hand out comparatively higher limits.

Bottom line, credit cards make sense and are a good idea - if you're a responsible enough human being to use them properly.

Does such thing as a Pre Paid credit card exist? Like a pre-paid phone but with a credit card? You'd transfer money into it every week so you can keep tabs on your spending and if you lose it or it gets stolen then you don't lose that much.

Does such thing as a Pre Paid credit card exist? Like a pre-paid phone but with a credit card? You'd transfer money into it every week so you can keep tabs on your spending and if you lose it or it gets stolen then you don't lose that much.

Yes, they exist.

A quick google suggests this in Australia.

Last edited:
My college is officially closed till Sunday because of this crazy snow storm. Which means a whole week off for me - yay!! :D

Earthquake in my area; I live in Aurora, about 25 miles from the epicenter.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/10/illinois.earthquake/index.html

I was awake when it happened; A bang followed by an even vibration for about ten seconds. I thought it was wind, since a snow storm was blowing itself out, and the way the houses are set up it creates a wind tunnel.

FYI, this kind of thing never EVER happens here. Southern Illinois has a fault line, but is very stable.

Yes, but they bleed money over time, charge you money to check your balance, and can't be "refilled." At least that was my experience with Visa.

And most of the time you can't use all of the money up, since most places have trouble splitting up transactions.

Last edited:
FYI, this kind of thing never EVER happens here. Southern Illinois has a fault line, but is very stable.
That's probably even more rare than the only earthquake I've ever experienced..... which was in Holland. :?
I think that one was a 4.2.
I know not even worth mentioning in CA terms, but hey it knocked over my stack of pop cans.

I use an "e-card". It's an electronic mastercard. you simply create a number and you transfer the amount you wanna use at that time to a temporary "e-card", then you set a time limit usually it's 1 month, but it can be up to 1 year i think. and when the time is up it transfers any money that's left on the card back to your account.

And it's totally free.

Sorry for the confusing explanation, but i'm tired.. :p

Last edited:
Not haveing a credit card is very bad for your credit score. If you don't have a credit card you will really strugle to get much over a 700 FICO and are basically locked out of the Tier 0 and super Tier range that is 750 plus for most lenders.

I need to get a credit card. Too bad I put it off so now I have to wait until this summer. :(

To keep tabs on me and my spending I have a. ......
Wife - ouch if I transgress.

Sonita and I decided early on we will have separate checking accounts and a mutual savings account. If there is a bill, I pay half.

Works great for us.

I use that weird machine on the wall that eats my debit/credit card and gives me notes made from pre-historic material called paper. Then I go to shop and use the notes to pay my shopping. I'll get back some smaller notes or round things made from metal.

But if I choose to use my debit/credit card, I can keep track on my spendings real time on the internet. And if it gets stolen or I lose it the bank will cover my losses if I inform them immediately (<2 days).

A credit card is worth keeping around for your credit rating. Any good credit car won't have any fees if you don't owe them anything.
...and this is why I hate credit scores. Arrgh.

I figure I'll start to care about it once I'm out of college, but seeing how I don't have any money right now to begin with...ever......screw it.

...and this is why I hate credit scores. Arrgh.

I figure I'll start to care about it once I'm out of college, but seeing how I don't have any money right now to begin with...ever......screw it.

It will be too late when you're out of college and have to pay upwards of $500 in deposits for utilities and can't even rent your own apartment since you have NO credit of your own.

I got approved for a townhouse with two friends. One of my friends and I had zero credit. We got approved because we each had a shit-ton of money piled up in savings.

Credit cards can be useful, especially if you have a business or something that requires you to make a lot of purchases. You can build up frequent flyer miles or whatever rather fast. For small purchases though, there really isn't a point. They build up and then at the end of the month you haven't kept track and ohh shit. I guess if you want to be the banks bitch for the rest of your life then. . .

Today's new discovery: old Smiths tachs can be effectively used in place of a hammer.

Earthquake in my area; I live in Aurora, about 25 miles from the epicenter.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/10/illinois.earthquake/index.html

I was awake when it happened; A bang followed by an even vibration for about ten seconds. I thought it was wind, since a snow storm was blowing itself out, and the way the houses are set up it creates a wind tunnel.

I've lived in California for over 8 years, and I've felt more earthquakes in Wisconsin than I have here in California. Most happened while I was either sleeping or driving, so I didn't feel 'em.