Random Thoughts....

Ok I need some advice. I just came from spending an hour or so working on my parents' computer. How do you go about teaching someone the most basic aspects of windows file structures? My mom learned how to use a computer using AOL and it has hampered her and provided an immense false sense of ability. She can't create or rename folders, cut/copy/paste or move files. Every time I try to show her I'm at an utter loss. It's so simple I can't explain it anymore. Things like opening 2 copies of the same folder are confusing, navigating back and forth using the web-like buttons are confusing, it ALL confuses her. Last time she asked me "what does cut and paste mean anyway." She won't go to a class because she thinks she's already "so good" at computers (eff you AOL) never mind the fact she's UTTERLY lost without her little cyber crutch.

Maybe best suited for tech, so I'll repost if you really insist, but I never read over there.

I'd keep it simple and use the existing metaphor.

The hard drive is a filing cabinet, inside are the folders, in the folders are files. You can have folders in other folders. You can move files to other folders (like a real filing cabinet) and make duplicates of files (like using a photocopier).

I'd get her an iPad.

Seriously, people who don't get the old computing paradigm are a perfect fit for devices like the iPad.

Edit: Computer classes wouldn't do her any good, trust me, I had the same issue with my mom.

Last edited:
When I had to teach my mom about computers I remember having to right stuff down and make simple diagrams as she would call me at school when I couldn't answer. But definitely keep it simple and start with the basics.

I'd get her an iPad.

Seriously, people who don't get the old computing paradigm are a perfect fit for devices like the iPad.

Edit: Computer classes wouldn't do her any good, trust me, I had the same issue with my mom.

But isn't there the caveat that it's a completely new system which involves relearning from the start. Aka how to use apps, where to download them, how to close apps, how to listen to music, how to increase the volume etc etc.

This just happened:

Cop: When was your last speeding ticket?
Me: I've never gotten a speeding ticket, sir.
Cop: I didn't say you were going to get one. When's the last time you got a ticket?
Me: Um...
Cop: The last time you got a ticket?
Me: Er, I've never gotten a speeding ticket before.
Cop: See, that's what I was asking you.
*some time passes*
Cop: Here's your license back. When you said you had never gotten a ticket, you should have said 2006. Here's number 2.

So at work today I was carrying in eight really big and heavy boxes of batteries. While I was doing it I thought to myself "Good gosh these are heavy!" but pressed on nonetheless. It wasn't until I sat the last box down that I noticed the label on the side and saw why they felt so heavy: the boxes were 98lbs each.

Then I had an uber-late lunch which meant that my Taco Bell = demolished. Mmmm, cinnamon twists!

WTF? Too bad you didn't record that exchange. So weird.

Did he just go up to your car, see an Asian dude, and assume "aha! speeder." Yikes.

I think the whole end point of that rant was that AC/DC is not in any way artistic, and just a bunch of noise.

This, pretty much. I used 'artistic' in the sense of being pretentious and full of crap, primadonna types, that sort of thing. Which they are, hence the quotes.

Which is, by the way, how another actual artist, Roland Orzibal, used it in a recent interview. :D

Last edited:
But isn't there the caveat that it's a completely new system which involves relearning from the start. Aka how to use apps, where to download them, how to close apps, how to listen to music, how to increase the volume etc etc.

Yes, but it's a far easier system to learn as far as I can tell. Plus, my experience with these parent types is that they don't get the full computing paradigm and are just barely getting by with very basic tasks, so it's not even relearning per se.

I think if you have a parent or grandparent who is struggling with using the computer they could really benefit from something like the iPad, so long as you do the initial setup on your PC so they don't need to hook it themselves. Focusing just on the iPad, since we're halfway through 2010 and nobody else has put out their slates, it really seems to zero in on all the biggest problem areas for people who just can't learn the full computing experience.

One thing that always confused my mom is the universal file system, I could never get the concept across that you can save files to different places and open them using different programs. But on iOS devices, this isn't a problem as documents only show up in the word processing app and photos only show up in the photos app and music shows up in the iTunes app and so on. Another issue was I could never explain the concept of the taskbar/minimizing windows and switching between windows. Not a problem with iOS since multitasking is very limited and you can't have multiple apps or multiple instances of the same app running.

God, even double-clicking took years for my mom to master as she'd either do the second click too slow or too fast and end up with a single click being registered. Or the volume issue you brought, always a source of confusion since there's multiple volume settings on most computers - on an iPad it's just a simple physical switch.

My mom hasn't got an iPad because she's got a working laptop and knowing her I know she's not going to spend more money while this one still runs, but I'm pretty confident people like her who struggle with computers no matter how patiently we try and teach them would fare pretty nicely with an iPad. Sure there is a learning curve even with the iPad, but personally my mom has been spinning her wheels for over a decade and hasn't learned squat.

This just happened:

Cop: When was your last speeding ticket?
Me: I've never gotten a speeding ticket, sir.
Cop: I didn't say you were going to get one. When's the last time you got a ticket?
Me: Um...
Cop: The last time you got a ticket?
Me: Er, I've never gotten a speeding ticket before.
Cop: See, that's what I was asking you.
*some time passes*
Cop: Here's your license back. When you said you had never gotten a ticket, you should have said 2006. Here's number 2.

Were you speeding? How does having had a ticket previously or not have any bearing on whether he gives you a ticket now? If you weren't speeding then that's fucked up...

Last time I got angry enough to want to destroy something, it came to my attention that we still had large rotten wooden outdoor table and its two surviving chairs that would need to be broken up to be taken to the rubbish tip. So I went into the shed and got an axe....:devil:

I have done the same to an ancient computer monitor with a hammer before too. It feels bloody good destroying stuff (albeit, stuff that needs to be destroyed anyway I'm not condoning going hammer & tongs on anyone's property LOL!).

hehe, reminds me of a time at After School Care when I was a kid around 11 or 12 and they had this old TV set they wanted taken apart. We smashed it up pretty good, and all they said was 'be careful, dont cut yourselves' :mrgreen:. Wouldn't happen today!

Indeed, I remember one time at a youth club I used to go to when I was around 12, they had an old shed that needed replacing, so they got me and some of my friends and passed out some tools, including claw hammers, couple of ball peins and a sledgehammer and said "Do your worst, just watch out for the rusty nails." Within about 5 minutes we had reduced the thing to firewood.

Health and safety would have a major hissy fit, if that happened today. Ah, the good times are no more.