Random Thoughts....

So I went shooting for the first time in my life today. Got to shoot a .22 Rueger rifle, only thing you are allowed to shoot in NY w/o a gun license.
This was close range, I think 25-30 feet or so
941ba77c.jpg

And this is long range (almost end of the range itself), I think something like 45-50 feet.
14a157ad.jpg

Last edited:
I love college commercials. "If I could do it anyone can" :lol:

Anyone think that the current storms in various parts of the world have anything to do with the possible magnetic poles shifting?

Saw a photo online of the storm over the Midwest and East Coast yesterday and it reminded me of the movie The Day After Tomorrow.

I should start stocking supplies in case the shift is bad and things become chaotic. That and I'm concerned because California hasn't had a major earthquake since Northridge January 1994... :?

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/06/14/facepalm.jpg

That is one massive face palm.
Anyone think that the current storms in various parts of the world have anything to do with the possible magnetic poles shifting?

Saw a photo online of the storm over the Midwest and East Coast yesterday and it reminded me of the movie The Day After Tomorrow.

I should start stocking supplies in case the shift is bad and things become chaotic. That and I'm concerned because California hasn't had a major earthquake since Northridge January 1994..
I have a large number of friends who went to school for environmental science. They watched the day after tomorrow as a hilarious comedy, that movie is less realistic about the weather than Fast and Furious franchise is about cars...

There's some threads in the TG section that could use that facepalm. Then again, when hasn't there been a time where threads in the TG section needed facepalms?

Last edited:

I should start stocking supplies in case the shift is bad and things become chaotic. That and I'm concerned because California hasn't had a major earthquake since Northridge January 1994... :?
My physics teacher explained this to the class, it's the oscillation of jet streams El Nino and la Nina. We're in a La Nina stage right now, so there's a lot of wet weather and wind.

No. It has more to do with reduced solar output. Our sun is taking a break... and all the planets in the solar system are cooling off at about the same rate (as adjusted for distance from it), among other things.

The Day After Tomorrow is no more based on reality or science than if you could flap your arms and fly to Austin unaided. You can't and it's not.

Finally, if you check the histories, we've seen this kind of weather before. So it's not actually new, just new to most of the people living now.

Last edited:
This pattern has been happening for hundreds of thousands of years. It's just that we weren't around to speculate it.

And in other news, I really need to stop drinking alcohol too quickly. It's a bad habbit for me.

I'm thinking of buying this: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/38853

Thoughts? Not too familiar with mobile broadband.

Cheap yes, unlocking easy. But you have to get the software for whichever service you're going to use. I've got a vodafone modem and now that it's merged with 3, I can use for both. I just found a friend with the 3 software and borrowed it. Still have to buy the sim though. Problem with the mobile broadband is the short length of time the credit is valid for. I think the longest I've found is a prepaid 3 for $149 which is 12GB and valid for 12 months.

But, most importantly, try and find a friend with the service you want and see if they get coverage where you are going to be. Or the provider gives you a week to try the connection or something. I can't count the number of times that I've had crap all reception even though the coverage map says I should be getting full service. And yes, I get different coverage between 3 and vodafone even though they are the same company. Go figure.

Drunk German man reports 'beer emergency' to firefighters

A DRUNK German triggered a train station's fire alarm overnight to alert firefighters to an impending disaster -- a train was speeding off with his beer, The Local reported.
The 44-year-old and his pal had stepped off the train in Kaiserslautern, south western Germany, to have a cigarette, leaving a bag full of beer on board.
But as the two friends puffed away, the train pulled off.
The elder man panicked and, wanting someone to come to his aid, smashed the fire alarm's glass case with his hand, police said.
Authorities scrambled to the scene and found the man had injured his hand and had a blood alcohol content of 0.195, the German news website reported.
"There was no real emergency," police said in a statement.

"Because there was no other contact person on the platform, the drunk man sounded the alarm."

I bought it mainly just for the modem since I plan on switching to a data plan on my mobile, so I want to use the one sim card for both devices. Atm I use TPG for mobile, which runs on the optus network like Boost.

Had an Australian guy come into the store today. He was visiting a friend here in Bellingham who'd told him about our store so he came in and bought a bunch of tools. I had a nice little chat with him while I was ringing his stuff up. I even got to see some genuine Australian currency! He didn't try to pay with it, though, but that would have been a laugh. :lol:

So for my graphics class I had to write a software 3d renderer, including a cartoon style lighting model.

Here's a couple of screenshots:
167172_779270678152_116356_42013941_5226609_n.jpg

168981_779285204042_116356_42014200_3690108_n.jpg

Bunneh:
168969_778660525902_116356_42001756_4819561_n.jpg

The cat wondered onto my desk then after a bit decided to attack Blind_Io's utility knife SUV sig picture. Is this an omen? :eek:

Omen of the impeding 30-foot-cat attack apocalypse?