Random Thoughts....

You cannot see it in any appreciable way across a species, not selected individuals or populations, over the short term.
Agreed, hence the qualifier "relatively". ;-) If you did a time lapse of bacteria evolving, you could show that to the numpties... not that they'd have the faintest idea of what you'd be on about, otherwise they wouldn't be falling for that creationism mumbojumbo.

Well, hey, I'm not saying that I absolutely hate it and all with everything, I just don't really care to see American media obsess over it like it was the President's daughter or something. It seems very Un-American like to me. It's more that I hate the media, than the actual whole idea of the wedding itself.

Also I thought the whole bit that Kate Middleton was the embodiment of the "American dream" was outrageous and a little dumb. Yeah, I know she wasn't upper class or royalty, but seriously America? Seriously? I mean, congratulations to her for finding someone that she loves and cares about, that's great I am super glad and I don't mean any harm or meanness. I'm just annoyed/mad at fail American TV that even the two channels that I can watch are obsessing about it day and night (and have been for the last two weeks).

What is bothering me is they have it constantly on the NEWS channels. If they want to stick it on gossip entertainment channels and TLC or where ever they have all those wedding shows fine. It's not like we are having lots of wars, or people are wondering wtf ever happened in japan because that just dropped off the news channels with no resolution or anything like that.

I had an abandoned account that I signed into again simply because I got an app for the iPad that does Google apps along with facebook and twitter.

Apparently not saying anything for a year or so is great for your followers, I went through and blocked a ton of them. That being said, there are some really cool people on Twitter hiding among an ocean of self-important dicks. It's all about who you decide to follow. I went with people like Stephen Fry, Steve Martin, the Mythbusters cast, and various sci-fi actors.

Twitter is easy and casual if you're a] not a trendwhore/retweetwhore/gimmick follower and b] you tweet when and what you want, not feel the urge to and follow someone because they're following you and not feel bad about blocking them if you feel like it.

Also, imo twitter is not in the same boat as fb that some people throw them all in together

So the last 2 grad schools I was waiting on for responses just came in today.

It's official. It's fucking official.

I've been rejected from EVERY school I applied to. Every single one.

I know why, and there are 2 parameters. One is GPA (which I can do nothing about now) and the other one is the physics GRE (which I can retake). But honestly... what's the chance that retaking the physics GRE and getting a good score will allow me in on the second round? I have a decade of research experience to back me up. A DECADE. No-one else fucking has that. I FUCKING have that. But I guess that wasn't enough. So there's no fucking guarantee.

I'm so glad that I've made my parents, friends, and family so proud. I got a below 3.0 GPA at berkeley, I graduated 1.5 years late, I got a horrid score on the physics GRE and look at all the goddamned schools just fucking LINING up to accept me.

ALSO TOMORROW IS MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. I realized that this morning. I feel so fucking happy to exist on this planet and to have gone around the sun one more fucking time.

sounds like you've definately got the right attitude and really sorry to hear about that mate. You did your best and thats what matters.
Hopefully things will get even better for your birthday, get over here and i'll get the pints ready.

My only complaint about BBC America right now is TOO MUCH ROYAL WEDDING STUFF.

Some of us prefer to watch other things that you show, and I don't think that many Americans are absolutely OBSESSED like you seem make us out to be (who watch BBC America) because Kate Middleton is the "American Dream"(stolen from the program they showed this morning as I was looking for a new channel). I just like watching Doctor Who, TG re-runs, and sometimes some of the interesting documentaries they show.

Ended up watching Fresh Prince. One of the only shows I know I can always find on some random channel that isn't boring and makes you think about real problems and issues that are still current today.

Also, even though I am working on a two page essay, I really do not want to write it. Harr harr. @_@

You think you have it bad? I'm so sick of the bloody thing I'm considering terrorist action in London that day myself.

Yeah. No-one gives a f*ck about it here either.

*Tries to keep the inner patriot in check*

>_<

When i got up this morning i put the tv on with my breakfast, tv was on BBC One, it was all about the Royal Wedding, went over to ITV still more Royal Wedding. Over to BBC News where they are not only talking about the Royal Weddings but about the freaking decorations in Westminster Abbey!
I honestly don't give a crap about the Royal Wedding and the way the media keeps broadcasting this is only going to give the opinion that all of us Brits all get up and salute the queen whenever she's on the tv. Well, i do salute her... just not the typical standard salute. more of the one finger variety.

I had an abandoned account that I signed into again simply because I got an app for the iPad that does Google apps along with facebook and twitter.

Apparently not saying anything for a year or so is great for your followers, I went through and blocked a ton of them. That being said, there are some really cool people on Twitter hiding among an ocean of self-important dicks. It's all about who you decide to follow. I went with people like Stephen Fry, Steve Martin, the Mythbusters cast, and various sci-fi actors.

Twitter is easy and casual if you're a] not a trendwhore/retweetwhore/gimmick follower and b] you tweet when and what you want, not feel the urge to and follow someone because they're following you and not feel bad about blocking them if you feel like it.

Also, imo twitter is not in the same boat as fb that some people throw them all in together

I've really enjoyed using Twitter for keeping up with stuff like Stephen Fry (who is just as awesome as he is on the tv) Stephen Moffat and a bunch of Doctor Who stuff. Much like my FB page though, i keep my twitter locked down so that only people i authorise can see my tweets and i only allow those who i frequently tweet with to follow me.

I've got a mate who's an absolute apple fanboy and he retweets like a gatling gun with reports and everything about iPhones, iPads and iWhatever's.

I already have a random follower who only retweets car reviews. I need to figure out this block feature asap.

I'm about two years late to Twitter, so obviously not the trendwhore. If people post on Facebook every hour, I block them, so I'll won't be tweeting every time it rains (In Pittsburgh, this would be hourly). I got it because a lot of people in my business club use it, but apparently so do some people I work with. They tweeted I was coming back for the summer, clearly I'm loved. :cool:

I've really enjoyed using Twitter for keeping up with stuff like Stephen Fry (who is just as awesome as he is on the tv) Stephen Moffat and a bunch of Doctor Who stuff. Much like my FB page though, i keep my twitter locked down so that only people i authorise can see my tweets and i only allow those who i frequently tweet with to follow me.

I've got a mate who's an absolute apple fanboy and he retweets like a gatling gun with reports and everything about iPhones, iPads and iWhatever's.

I'm only following some friends, Top Gear, WSJ and CNBC (Yeah...I'm using Twitter to get business news on the go, I feel so modern), and Daniel Tosh. We'll see if this lasts longer than three weeks.

Oooh! CNBC tweeted that Amazon's profit was only $.44 per share. It's drawing me in, damnit.

There's a catch, though: As an American friend of mine (he's doing some weird stuff with particles, colliders and space dust) just found out, the ESA will not employ non-EU citizens as their work still counts as defense-related. So that's a line of work that won't be open for you.

Kind of makes sense, since iirc Americans can't employ non-US citizens in their rocket stuff either.

Though I think LP would feel more like home in ESO than ESA.

Last edited:
Everyone on FG who can't stand the Royal Wedding (myself included) should get together for an international FG meet, with explosives :p

Where did Quiky's avatar and rep go?

It's too epic for us commoners to see it.

sounds like you've definately got the right attitude and really sorry to hear about that mate. You did your best and thats what matters.
Hopefully things will get even better for your birthday, get over here and i'll get the pints ready.

I'm fucking ready for a pint bro. I'm on the next flight to the UK, see you soon!

As America is not only the greatest nation in the world, but saved us from the terrors of Nazism, Americans don't need a visa in Germany (to be honest, it has nothing to do with Nazis, i just like this tangent. Basically, if you're from a rich non-EU state, you don't need a visa). If you come to Germany to study all you'll have to do is register with the authorities within two weeks (like even Germans have to do when moving) and apply for a student's residency permit within three months.... In other EU countries the rules most likely differ cause we like to keep things complicated in the EU...

There's a catch, though: As an American friend of mine (he's doing some weird stuff with particles, colliders and space dust) just found out, the ESA will not employ non-EU citizens as their work still counts as defense-related. So that's a line of work that won't be open for you.

EDIT: He's working on something called HESS - maybe you can make some sense of that, LP. I surely can't.

He's working on HESS eh? Very cool. Love the super high-energy physics. I got a PM from NoChestWig about studying in Zurich, and we have quite a few German collabos who are working here on campus on high energy stuff. Maybe thats one way to go... maybe I need to expand. I'll have to think about it.

He's working on HESS eh? Very cool. Love the super high-energy physics. I got a PM from NoChestWig about studying in Zurich, and we have quite a few German collabos who are working here on campus on high energy stuff. Maybe thats one way to go... maybe I need to expand. I'll have to think about it.
Sorry to highjack this, but my inner Pratchett geek forces me:

This is your place.