Random Thoughts....

apparently we are now under a tornado warning. Lovely.

Since when were there tornadoes on the East coast? I don't recall this ever being a thing...

Since when were there tornadoes on the East coast? I don't recall this ever being a thing...

They happen every once in a blue moon. They're rarely serious/common. One'll pop up, tear up a few tree limbs/rip a few tiles off a roof, and disappear.

They happen every once in a blue moon. They're rarely serious/common. One'll pop up, tear up a few tree limbs/rip a few tiles off a roof, and disappear.

sounds like when it happens over here in blighty, get this small little thing that turns up on people's doorstep and make a mess of things but doesn't do any significant damage.

Since the world is having natural disasters constantly all over.
Apparently this is one of those times. It sounds like it hit Springfield really bad. It is fizzling out now so it will probably only be thunder when it gets here. Still pretty frightening when you have no sirens or shelters for it though and when I posted that it really looked like it might hit here.

Awesome hour just happened now. I made blueberry muffins an' I just won a tenner ont lottery. XD

Nice! Judging by the current live-updated conversion rate, that's enough money to buy a small private island off the coast of Florida.

Nice! Judging by the current live-updated conversion rate, that's enough money to buy a small private island off the coast of Florida.

Speaking of Florida I have a friend there who just asked for me blueberry muffin recipe. XD

I had to convert from Church of England measurements to American. Cups mek me angry. o_O

We were just issued one here in Sacramento.

I'm not too worried, though. If a tornado touches down, I can always go down to my basem - oh wait.

Last edited:
Speaking of Florida I have a friend there who just asked for me blueberry muffin recipe. XD

I had to convert from Church of England measurements to American. Cups mek me angry. o_O

What measurements did you have to change? We're the last two countries that still use the Imperial system...are the differences between English Imperial and American Imperial really that different?

Also, gratuitously relevant:
tumblr_kpescyGOLd1qzn52fo1_400.jpg

What measurements did you have to change? We're the last two countries that still use the Imperial system...are the differences between English Imperial and American Imperial really that different?

Also, gratuitously relevant:
tumblr_kpescyGOLd1qzn52fo1_400.jpg

Not always in cooking or baking an' there are slight differences anyway. "Cups" (with the option of grams sometimes which does me head in even more) are normally used Stateside for some baking I've noticed, which I can't get me head round. Plus in me own house we don't really do anything Metric. Every recipe book we have in this house has everything in lbs, ounces, pints an fluid ounces which I've always worked with. Throw grams, cups or milliliters into my cooking equation an' I get angry. Had to convert temperatures though, we don't really work in Fahrenheit for cooking it's always Celsius or a Gas Mark.

"Cups" (with the option of grams sometimes which does me head in even more) are normally used Stateside for some baking I've noticed, which I can't get me head round.

:huh: So women in the US take their bras off when cooking? Now I understand where that bra burning stuff comes from :nod: So, do they use A cups for sugar, C for flour, and so on, or is everything based on on using a specific cup size and it specifies it in the front of the recipe book?

<--- Has never been to Taco Bell.

Is possibly however In 'N Out an' Krispy Kreme's Number 1 customer whenever she's in Cali.

:|

Not always in cooking or baking an' there are slight differences anyway. "Cups" (with the option of grams sometimes which does me head in even more) are normally used Stateside for some baking I've noticed, which I can't get me head round. Plus in me own house we don't really do anything Metric. Every recipe book we have in this house has everything in lbs, ounces, pints an fluid ounces which I've always worked with. Throw grams, cups or milliliters into my cooking equation an' I get angry. Had to convert temperatures though, we don't really work in Fahrenheit for cooking it's always Celsius or a Gas Mark.

Taco Bell is over-rated not really meat in the food you just bought anyway. And 2 pints in a cup.

Taco Bell is over-rated not really meat in the food you just bought anyway. And 2 pints in a cup.

Yeah I heard about the whole Taco Bell fake meat thing. I don't think I'd wanna try it then. o_O

Oh and...

American cooks using British recipes, and vice versa, need to be careful with pints and fluid ounces. A US pint is 473 ml, while a UK pint is 568 ml, about 20% larger. A US fluid ounce is 1?16 of a US pint (29.6 ml); a UK fluid ounce is 1?20 UK pint (28.4 ml). This makes an Imperial pint equivalent to 19.2 US fluid ounces.

When we measure stuff especially for baking we rarely go by volume an' go with weight, whether it be grams or ounces. In me own case ounces. Grams screw me over 'cause the scales I have are more accurate for lbs an' ounces.

It is usually, but this one wasn't messing. Telegraph reports apparently 4 killed. Already more tornadoes in the US this year than in the whole of 2010. Here's hoping all the FGers and their families across the pond stay safe.

[video=youtube;ODqIrQZV-Q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqIrQZV-Q8[/video]