Random Thoughts....

I think the larger stand-alone stores still make the donuts on site, (I could have sworn I saw a donut maker in the store in Bristol, NH last year.)but the ones in gas stations and convenience stores - yeah, run.

My friend worked for a stand alone store and her's were frozen. The doughnuts my stepmom has brought home from the carlisle pike store (not terribly small, newish store, great location for traffic) definitely tasted meh.

My first thought was this scene from Bad Boys, with Will Smith as Shirahime and Martin Lawrence as Kenny:

That's about right actually. 'Cept I do have cup holders an' me car hasn't tried to kill me yet. XD

The closest Krispy Kreme to me is in Sydney, a 1.5 hour drive. :( Thankfully that's probably a good thing. The store in Central station in Sydney is terrible, I often found myself deliberately missing my train so I could buy doughnuts.

Don't they sell any at the local BP stations?

Maybe in Sydney but nowhere else. I thought Krispy Kreme had closed most of their shops anyway. Certainly I think they pulled out of Adelaide.

And bah! The one time I need my upcoming RDOs to go home and visit, they're taken away from me and I've been put on a temporary Mon-Fri roster.

Last edited:
I was in central Brighton yesterday for the first time in quite a while. We have a Krispy Kreme in Brighton now.

As for KFC? Bleugh. I make fried chicken at home, simply brushed with a little olive oil and coated with flour and a generous amount of Momma Cherri's Cajun Seasoning before deep frying and finishing off in a hot oven.....

Momma?s Cajun seasoning

10g ground cayenne pepper, or chilli powder
10g ground black pepper
10g ground garlic powder
10g ground Coriander
7g dried red chilli flakes
7g white Sugar
60g dried onion flakes
25g Dried mixed herbs
7g grated Nutmeg
50g Salt

Last edited:
Naw, Momma Cherri. Owned a great little place in Brighton that appeared on Kitchen Nightmares because it was tucked away and got no passing trade but the food was pretty awesome. Got turned around, uber success, relocated and then let standards fall and went bust.

Did leave this as a nice little legacy which contains some truly awesome recipes.

So not only do Brewing Companies f**k up great drinks to try to make the profits (Are you listening Interbrew and Boddingtons) but as they grow Donut companies do the same.

The business strategy is to go for growth by cutting costs - lower quality of ingredients, make in factory (Beer uses things called 'mega kegeries') push down prices paid for the raw materials, reduce overheads by shipping more product with less admin cost. The idea is also to prevent competition by being able to reduce prices in a given territory whilst smaller businesses are trying to compete.

Upshot is bland bland bland (no reason not to buy, but no reason to buy either) products. Grrrrrr mediocrity.

Naw, Momma Cherri. Owned a great little place in Brighton that appeared on Kitchen Nightmares because it was tucked away and got no passing trade but the food was pretty awesome. Got turned around, uber success, relocated and then let standards fall and went bust.

Did leave this as a nice little legacy which contains some truly awesome recipes.
Yes she could cook but did not have the management skills - she should have got in someone who could be a manager, she had the money. I saw the show and she was great as a personality.

Last edited:
Cobol you should get the book and try the food.

Gah! I saw that episode a few weeks ago (thanks internet!) and now I haz a sad. :( I wonder how many of the other restaurants on the show stayed open...A few were closed when Gordon came back a few months later, but many seemed to be doing somewhat ok.

Initially she did really well, so well in fact that you had to wait several weeks to get a table even on a weekday and she had to drop the a la carte menu and deal exclusively with the Soul in a Bowl concept. They paid off their debts and she became a huge success.

The problem was that once they relocated to premises that would meet demand and hired enough personnel to cope she took her eye off the ball and the chefs were pre-prepping and freezing stuff rather than sending stuff that was freshly cooked. I never ate there after they moved but I know people who did and they said that the quality had dropped dramatically, more like a microwave TV dinner than anything else. Brighton is a really Bohemian place and the choice of places to eat is enormous. She went really high really quickly but then rested on her laurels and soon the mighty fell.

Such a shame as she is a lovely lady. And of course, I still have the cookbook. ;)

16,000th post.

Pretend I said something witty and profound.

You just need to edit that post and say "Titties".

National stereotype:

1. Teeth. ...

http://www.cracked.com/article_18409_the-5-most-statistically-full-shit-national-stereotypes.html

"A study performed by OECD, an international economic organization, on the state of dental hygiene in developed countries has concluded that the British have the very best teeth in the entire world, with an average of just 0.6 of a tooth decaying per citizen. Not just "not the worst"--the absolute fucking best!

Read more: The 5 Most Statistically Full of Shit National Stereotypes | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_1840...-shit-national-stereotypes.html#ixzz1OVonXBaD"

"So why does this admittedly lame stereotype even exist? Well, because the idea of "good" teeth differs slightly between the UK and the U.S.--most Brits simply don't find slightly crooked or off-white teeth all that unappealing. They probably fancy you a bit of a poof, actually, wasting perfectly good dosh on teeth whitening 'stead of a warm pint and a hot pigeon pasty. For all you non-British: We think they just called you a pussy, but we can't be sure (we half-suspect they make up good bit of their adorable-sounding slang on the spot).

Read more: The 5 Most Statistically Full of Shit National Stereotypes | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/article_1840...-shit-national-stereotypes.html#ixzz1OVp6Zsks"