Random Thoughts....

I can sort of understand it (Not condone it, but understand it.) when your team loses - there's a lot of anger there.

what makes me laugh and smile is when fans cry about their team losing a championship, cup or gets relegated. May is always my favorite time because thats when the relegation begins and you see fans crying like somone had just told them that both of their parents had died in a fireball.

?Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.?
Bill Shankly

I can sort of understand it (Not condone it, but understand it.) when your team loses - there's a lot of anger there.

But when your team wins and you still burn the city? :confused:

Just an excuse to smash things up. Stupid sport rage, most of the reason I don't follow any sports is because of the fans. By supporting a team you instantly make yourself an enemy of hardcore fans of other teams.

For some it stops being a sport, it is practically signing yourself up to an army, and it is your job to fight to opposing supporters. Especially in football. Living in Scotland the main football teams up here are Rangers and Celtic, it easily gets to the point where supporting the "wrong" teams in certain areas can get dangerous.

At that level all it takes is for two people to get in a fight after a match and bam, you have an army. Doesn't take much to see how it plays out, alcohol/anger/pride involved fans more likely to side with people who support their team and against people who don't. All gets out of hand, it spreads, more people get involved and before you know it you have several thousand angry people wandering around looking for an excuse to fight and smash things up.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the football hooligan.

what makes me laugh and smile is when fans cry about their team losing a championship, cup or gets relegated. May is always my favorite time because thats when the relegation begins and you see fans crying like somone had just told them that both of their parents had died in a fireball.

When you get that emotionally invested in something and spent that much money on it, to some people, it is.

Taking it as far as rioting, though? That's just stupid.

Just an excuse to smash things up. Stupid sport rage, most of the reason I don't follow any sports is because of the fans. By supporting a team you instantly make yourself an enemy of hardcore fans of other teams.

For some it stops being a sport, it is practically signing yourself up to an army, and it is your job to fight to opposing supporters. Especially in football. Living in Scotland the main football teams up here are Rangers and Celtic, it easily gets to the point where supporting the "wrong" teams in certain areas can get dangerous.

Oh, believe me, I know all about that. My brother Scott is a fan of the New York Yankees for the simple reason that our dad is a fan of the Boston Red Sox. There are neighborhoods in Boston where even he wouldn't dare to wear his Yankees ball cap. And here in California, a fan of the San Francisco Giants was savagely beaten in the parking lot as he was about to attend an away game hosted by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

But to see a group of Lakers basketball fans overturn cars and set fires after the Lakers won the NBA Championship -WTF?

When you get that emotionally invested in something and spent that much money on it, to some people, it is.

QFT. After all imagine being a fan on jedd's wall the day Dr Who is cancelled. Not that I jest given the recent uncertainty about it and being somewhat of a fan myself.

There does seem to be something though about people who get so invested in team sports that it becomes tribal or feudal. I think that perhaps in spite of our iPods and coffee machines and all that we are still basically hunter-gatherers are heart and since we no longer have the need to defend our own turf for our very survival it manifests itself in other ways. In this case those fans couldn't go to battle with the opposition and instead did so on their surroundings.

Am I judging them or claiming to be more evolved or superior because I don't behave like that? No. I simply offer it as an explanation for this and other related events.

Can I get a faceslap?

249929_10150301676575761_657140760_9464209_1984281_n.jpg

248606_234892373195021_100000227806524_1117170_65258_n.jpg

254159_10150201881568915_512343914_7214416_1306036_n.jpg

Ugh, so sickening. I can't believe people are risking their lives in the Middle East for an ounce of freedom and these assholes are angry because their hockey team is only second best and because their city decided to spend millions of dollars trucking in big screen TVs from California.

I don't know what's more dangerous. Going to Tijuana or going to Canada on a game day :unsure:

I seriously don't understand how this positive stereotype about us started. Peeps in small towns, yes. But Toronto? People don't even want to be looked at/talked to. Keep your head down and keep moving kind of mentality. We are NOT friendly and polite and country bumpkin-ish.

NOW PISS OFF!!!

Nobody said country bumpkinish. In my opinion, big citys tend to be quite unfriendly,that is why I don't like to go to them. Now go back to your apartment to avoid people and continue being unfriendly.

QFT. After all imagine being a fan on jedd's wall the day Dr Who is cancelled. Not that I jest given the recent uncertainty about it and being somewhat of a fan myself.

Unfortunately i know someone who will not only revel in the moment but will take every opportunity to rub my face on it.
I'll admit, should the day come (and it will come at some point. as the wise man himself said "if nothing ever ended there would be no beginning") i will be bothered about it. however its still a tv show and i'll move on. At least i'll have the opportunity to enjoy it through my dvd collection and come next month i'll be spending some time at the Doctor Who experience being able to stand on the TARDIS console itself.
I just don't see Sports as being all that important, but then i feel the same way about religion. There are so many things that Monty Python's Life of Brian got right on so many levels about religion that you could almost transfer them over to Sports and they would still work.
Do i take Doctor Who as seriously as some take sport? in some people's eyes that would be a yes, but its all good fun and that is what sport should be. Just be fun. No point in running around cracking skulls open and seeing what kind of gooey stuff is inside.

Dear Boston,

I know I'm late to the party and I don't really even watch hockey, but fuck you.

Love always,
altoid the lifelong Lakers fan

Nobody said country bumpkinish. In my opinion, big citys tend to be quite unfriendly,that is why I don't like to go to them. Now go back to your apartment to avoid people and continue being unfriendly.

This is true all over the world, unless you're a tourist spending money.

Do i take Doctor Who as seriously as some take sport?

I would think the sort of people to fight over that sort of thing do exist on certain-internet-based-forums-that-shan't-be-named (;)) but it seems rare that these things get into the sort of large scale violence sport does.

I really fail to understand why people get so passionate about it, especially football. I could almost understand that sort of passion if you supported your local team, made up of local people because then in essence you have a sense of loyalty to your home town and surround area. Hence why if somebody demands to know my favourite team, even after I try to tell them I don't have one, the answer is Leeds United.

But the way I see it the majority of football teams are made of random people from various countries let alone regional districts. Its no longer a game about some local people having a match against people from a neighbouring county seeing who is best at kicking a ball around. Its some people having a match against some other people to see who can get massive amounts of money.
What is there left to be a fan of? Appart from Wayne earns-?18m-for-kicking-a-ball Rooney being hilariously dim.

Let's put it this way, I have never seen Trekkies trash a city after a StarWars premiere.....Certain 'Sportsfans' on the other hand, tribal indeed.

Sorry but I cannot have respect for that, fans sure, love for the team and all that sure, loosing all reason? Acting like an animal? Sorry but thats not beeing a fan, that's acting like a singleminded idiot.

I have spent many a pint and many an afternoon at a pub surrounded by footballfans, no problems at all, it just takes one table of idiots, or even a single idiot to fuck that all up.

Let's put it this way, I have never seen Trekkies trash a city after a StarWars premiere.....Certain 'Sportsfans' on the other hand, tribal indeed.

thats because if a policewoman turned up they would point and scream at her yelling "A WOMAN! RUN AWAY!" and followed by a mass stampede.