Random Thoughts....

Yeah I figured as much myself (I think I tried telling him that once, but he probably didn't listen, it also doesn't help about the fact that I only see him when I visit the area he lives in). He has his own ideas of course since he's never really done that and may or may not have done any research on that part of the whole writing a book bit. Just curious, have you or someone you knew tried to publish stuff with the big companies or do you just keep up with all of the news and industry in publishing?

> I know with some Nonfiction publishers you do not always need an agent depending on what category of work it is (such as Historical publishing sometimes), but I really am clueless about fiction publishing matters myself.

I know several published fiction authors personally and am forever toying with the idea of getting something published - so I try to keep updated on how that works.

Nonfiction is a different beast entirely.

Ah well that is pretty cool. I would have serious issues thinking of ideas for a nonfiction book (already had issues thinking of stuff for nonfiction short stories in classes). My mom has gotten published and nominated for poetry awards in the past, but that's about the closest I've known for that sort of stuff. I've talked to a lot of my instructors about publishing works and different ways of how to get that done since I am a History major and none of them seemed to have an agent. (I think maybe one does, but he's published a few books and I haven't really talked to him much about that.) They've all given me a lot of good ideas on where to start reading and so forth. I personally would rather work with another person to publish. (Co-authoring I suppose I mean.) I've taken a journalism class once before, but I was focused more on nonfiction publishing.

You'll have to let us all know (I'm sure you would) if you are published so we could check it out.

(Also thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to see if he actually listens to me this time considering the situation.)

Random thoughts: I have a loose piece of cartilage in my left elbow. It hurts. Today at work, a steel pipe fell from a shelf and hit me over the left hand. It hurt even more. I think that the next logical step would be for something to chop my left arm off.

In Sweden get it fixed
In the US sue the arse off someone - then get it fixed
In Ukania whinge on and on and on then spend two weeks in casualty waiting to be seen and get it fixed - NHS will use the cheapest way possible

I wish vBulletin was smart enough to remove quotations from posts that you have set to be ignored.

Why is the weather so damn awful?

Its been so rainy and windy and cold for the last week, it might as well be winter at this rate. :(

I have magic heat sensing powers.

Random rant:

My previous boss keeps publishing my data without my name on the papers. It's been almost 5 years since I left his lab, he still asks me for advice and whatnot to finish off a few projects that I had started before I left. He recently asked me to proof-read a paper for him that contains some of my old data. I haven't done it, so he's asked me why. Seriously? Why would I do more work for you, when I don't work there anymore, and you won't acknowledge my contributions?

Random rant:

My previous boss keeps publishing my data without my name on the papers. It's been almost 5 years since I left his lab, he still asks me for advice and whatnot to finish off a few projects that I had started before I left. He recently asked me to proof-read a paper for him that contains some of my old data. I haven't done it, so he's asked me why. Seriously? Why would I do more work for you, when I don't work there anymore, and you won't acknowledge my contributions?

Be straight and tell him you'd like to be recognized for your contributions and especially because it's your data, you would like to be a co-author.

Why is the weather so damn awful?

Its been so rainy and windy and cold for the last week, it might as well be winter at this rate. :(

How's that Global Warming thing working out for you, again? :p

(Psst: Both the Romans and the Elizabethans noted that the UK was abnormally cold, gray and wet, even in summer. For the former, I suggest you look at this and the referenced work, The End Of Roman Britain.)

As for why, do take a look at solar activity. The major heat engine of the entire system is essentially settling down for a nap and the system's mean temperature is starting to drop. (And as a result the 'anthropogenic global warming' religious fanatics are scrambling to explain why reality does not match their prophesy. This week they're blaming China's coal plants for cooling the earth.)

Last edited:
So yesterday when we picked my parents up at the airport (they were away at the most exciting of things, a cousin's wedding) we saw the Iron Maiden plane taxi off the ramp and fly away. Kind of cool I guess. There were a bunch of people who came out just to watch old Bruce fly away.

My brother is moving out soon, just got a job offer at a certain second largest video game developer that he didn't really want to work for again (did a university work term there) but it's only an eight month contract which he has no plans on renewing. The dog will miss him, I'll miss not having to be the only one to walk the dog every day. (that probably sounds bad... no, we have a good relationship, unlike lots of people who apparently hate their sibling's guts)

Also, exciting stuff going on with Chivalry, the game that I'm working on down there in that link in my sig that I'm sure nobody has ever bothered to click. Can't talk about it until the end of next week probably, but it's exciting.

Last edited:
Be straight and tell him you'd like to be recognized for your contributions and especially because it's your data, you would like to be a co-author.

This. Tell him right up front: no recognition = no help.

So, this sums up the mood during my 50 min physics exam

Financial math was more like

Man, I've been going to bed every night here at 9:30pm. In LA, no less. I feel like I'm getting old or something.

How's that Global Warming thing working out for you, again? :p

(Psst: Both the Romans and the Elizabethans noted that the UK was abnormally cold, gray and wet, even in summer. For the former, I suggest you look at this and the referenced work, The End Of Roman Britain.)

As for why, do take a look at solar activity. The major heat engine of the entire system is essentially settling down for a nap and the system's mean temperature is starting to drop. (And as a result the 'anthropogenic global warming' religious fanatics are scrambling to explain why reality does not match their prophesy. This week they're blaming China's coal plants for cooling the earth.)

Only you can take a simple comment about the weather and turn it into a political/history/science lecture.

2swyu47swswsw0.gif

I just accidentally signed "cock" instead of "coco." Eh, it works.

Last edited:
Watching the latest TG ep and is it just me but does James May look like Commissioner Gordon during the Interceptor bit? Hammond also looked like a slightly skeevy art teacher and Clarkson a lazy Dick Dastardly cosplayer :/

It's interesting to me sitting here on the forum for as long as I have and just watching people do cool stuff with their lives. I know it's a bit random, but you lot are pretty damn impressive. And I have to say that a fair amount of the cool stuff I've gotten to do recently has been a direct result of being on here (essentially anything related to the Hooniverse, including eating Ford's steaks at the Chicago Auto Show pressers). I'm lucky to get a chance to hang out here with you guys, because you're all awesome.

/not drunk
//just sentimental
///okay, maybe sleep-deprived too.