Random Thoughts....

So I just found out my Indian friend who graduated high school one year earlier than I did, is now engaged, living in Fort Worth, TX, and is in medicine.

While I applaud him for doing medicine and all that... I must ask

WHY THE FUCK IS EVERYONE GETTING ENGAGED SO EARLY?

So I just found out my Indian friend who graduated high school one year earlier than I did, is now engaged, living in Fort Worth, TX, and is in medicine.

thats nothing, just wait until you start hearing everyone else has got children or expecting one. Frequently makes me feel like i'm far older than i really am.

Dear Delta Air Lines,

I really do hope that I am not in fact travelling to "New York, NJ (EWR)".

Best,
a German customer who knows what Newark is

You're flying into the Newark airport. It's considered a New York City area airport.

HA! Out of my high school class I think there's about a dozen of us, meself included; who isn't married/pregnant/wheeling a kid about/all of the above. It's bloody scary. It's only taken about 7-8 years for just over 100 students to do all that. There's even been a few divorces too it's shocking. >_<

I know quite a few people my age who are engaged... and some that were but aren't now... and one guy who's been engaged twice who is younger than me. :lol:

For my getting engaged is the sort of thing you do after a year or two of dating, probably more. Then again I find some girls actively demand it as a sign of faithfulness or some crap.

Fuck that, I'm not spending a fortune on a dammed engagement ring until I am 90% we'll be getting married in the near future. :p

worst part is when i get the third degree from my parents and grandparents. the "when i was your age i was already married and settled down." line is one i hear frequently.

worst part is when i get the third degree from my parents and grandparents. the "when i was your age i was already married and settled down." line is one i hear frequently.

Could be worse, I get "When I was your age I had been working full time for 3 years and owned my own house" and "When I was your age I respected my parents and knew when they were right" and "Why do you have such long hair, you look silly, no wonder you're single". :lol:

Although they do at least accept I shouldn't get engaged, mostly because they don't think a woman could put up with me for very long. :rolleyes:

Could be worse, I get "When I was your age I had been working full time for 3 years and owned my own house" and "When I was your age I respected my parents and knew when they were right" and "Why do you have such long hair, you look silly, no wonder you're single". :lol:

Although they do at least accept I shouldn't get engaged, mostly because they don't think a woman could put up with me for very long. :rolleyes:

meh, give them time and they'll probably start doing that as well.

When my mom says stuff like that, I just look her up and down, then say something about learning from other peoples mistakes before walking away.

Last edited:
thats nothing, just wait until you start hearing everyone else has got children or expecting one. Frequently makes me feel like i'm far older than i really am.

I'm hearing that from my 29 year old labmate Emily. All of her friends have babies and she has yet to crank one out because both of them are constantly on the move. I swear that kid is going to be a genius (Emily is in astrophysics, her husband is in math/CS/cryptology) but will be fuckin ugly as hell. With big boobs.

HA! Out of my high school class I think there's about a dozen of us, meself included; who isn't married/pregnant/wheeling a kid about/all of the above. It's bloody scary. It's only taken about 7-8 years for just over 100 students to do all that. There's even been a few divorces too it's shocking. >_<

I'm glad that the majority of my friends (at least in my small circle here) are just either engaged or dating. Only one of our friends has babeh and is getting a second one and so we sort of leave him out of our events :lol:.

I know quite a few people my age who are engaged... and some that were but aren't now... and one guy who's been engaged twice who is younger than me. :lol:

For my getting engaged is the sort of thing you do after a year or two of dating, probably more. Then again I find some girls actively demand it as a sign of faithfulness or some crap.

Fuck that, I'm not spending a fortune on a dammed engagement ring until I am 90% we'll be getting married in the near future. :p

For me I feel like it would take some time and real deep thought. Is this the person I wanna be with for the rest of my life. And then I veer off and get a dog and play counter-strike :p

I cannot peruse Facebook any more at work, which is where I am now (nine hours overtime! :cool:). Sometimes I loathe that people I am friends with, most of whom I went to school, have perfect lives with their perfect spouses and their perfect children and everyone is happy, and no one is wallowing in angst, self pity and depression like I am and wondering where my confidence, self worth and happiness disappeared to.

Or maybe they keep it to themselves and their lives are as crappy as mine.

Someone actually did a paper on the effect that Facebook (and social media in general) has on people's wellbeing based on what they perceive others lives to be like.

Someone actually did a paper on the effect that Facebook (and social media in general) has on people's wellbeing based on what they perceive others lives to be like.

I perceive their lives are better than mine. The end.

A few things I can feel "superior" about though:

-I am not overweight.
-I have all of my hair.
-I am not burdened with children, which I KNOW a lot of men my age envy. Deeply.
-I am a fairly competent photographer. Better than average, actually.
-I can play a musical instrument that traditionally will get me laid because of it.
-I have a big...heart.

Wait til they start having grandchildren.

Hell, my youngest sister is about to be a grandmother and I'm not even a father yet!
(That I know of, anyway. It's possible that I may have a son or daughter in Rotterdam, Palma, or Norfolk, VA.)

I perceive their lives are better than mine. The end.

I have that issue with most people I meet. I essentially fuel my own depression by sub-consciously or otherwise accepting other people are considerably more successful/happier with life than I am, and to be fair most of them probably are.
I also have no faith in my actions or abilities, and consider myself "alright" at things at the very best. I'm no longer sure if I am legitimately good at anything and am just forcing myself to believe I'm not.

It doesn't help that my some of the issues I have with myself and my life are quite obvious and tend to get mentioned by other people in conversation, "Wow, you are quite short aren't you" in particular is one I hate. <_<

Of course the MOST annoying is I KNOW I am doing this but aren't sure how to stop doing it. I mean, how does somebody "fix" a mental perception? :|

Yet? I don't have kids and I don't plan on having any at 41.

I've just had bullshit called on me by a very good friend, for wallowing in self pity and angst and depression and taking it all out on him on facebook last night. it was a hard message to read, but I needed to be told. My facebook page is all bright and bubbly and happy and joyous and here I am with depression crying my eyes out almost constantly in the last week whenever I get a moment to myself. So I've got to get over the wallowing but I've also got to let the people that want to help me do just that. I've been a bit of a selfish bitch lately in that regard.

As for the getting engaged early thing, one of my friends who is 21 got engaged about a month ago...that's pretty early! My mum wasn't that much older than me when she had my older brother. There's no expectation on me to get married and have kids though - if anything my parents don't want grandkids for a few years yet so they can enjoy some freedom!

I just spent an hour meeting one of my new neighbors and getting the low-down on every family on the circle. Which one is the hoarder, which one won't return tools, which one is a leech, etc.

Most important thing I learned: Which one is the neighborhood gossip.

In my neighborhood we have the old retired guy that always has his garage open with a law chair in his driveway where he sits, when he's not wandering up and down the street.

Everybody else just stays in their homes and avoids contact with their neighbors. At least, I assume that's what they do, but I'm usually hiding in my house avoiding contact with them, so it's hard to say.

Well, at over 38, I have stopped being bugged by family. Friends on the other hand are telling me I better get busy, because once I hit 40, apparently it's all over. These are the same people that know my attitude towards kids. More than happy to be the cool visitor that plays with them etc, but also hands them back when I've had enough or the tears become inconsolable.

As for neighbours. Noticed last night when I went out that there was a parked car with their lights on. Wasn't sure what was going on, but when I got back, car was still there, lights still on. So went and knocked on the neighbour's door and told them. I think they were rather shocked someone bothered to tell them, but thankful.

Well, that's the thing. I've never cared for HTC build quality and Samsung seems set on screwing with the main user interface. :dunno:

I'm a BB lover. Nice to meet you :tease:

To each his own. :)
I am a DD lover...oh, wait, forget it. :p