Random Thoughts....

i-like-turtles.gif

Wish the postman would hurry the hell up and get here already.

Someone I knew in high school apparently is going on a larping camping trip now.... in the direct path of Ireane.
WHY ARE YOU THAT STUPID

There is adventure, and there is stupid suicidal crap. This I think falls into the later. It couldn't possibly even be fun to be stranded at a flooding campground in a hurricane.

In other news I now have over 9000 posts.

Someone I knew in high school apparently is going on a larping camping trip now.... in the direct path of Ireane.
WHY ARE YOU THAT STUPID
Where in the direct path of Irene? Are they likely to encounter the storm flood? Will they be in a location subject to flash floods?

Irene is currently a Cat 1. With its current location, it will be continuing to weaken. If they are out of range of the storm flood, they'll essentially get a bad thunderstorm. I've camped through a bad thunderstorm before (I've also lived through a grounded cat 1 hurricane before). As long as there are things around to catch the lightning bolts, it's not bad. Yes, if you don't know what you're doing, you can get wet, and of course there are risks of things like trees falling, flash floods, and lightning strikes/fire, but there are some things you can do to prepare for these and some of these are risks anyway.

I live in Houston. The general attitude, around here, toward anything less than a Cat 3 is "Oh, yay, adventure!". People in the lowest areas need to clear out and some roads and areas will flood badly. There will be strong winds (but we get winds of those levels often enough for most things to handle them) and a lot of rain. Maybe we'll see some tornados. I understand that areas which haven't experienced multiple hurricanes don't have the same structures and resources for handling them (just as we have no resources for handling snow), but "hurricane", especially "borderline hurricane/tropical storm" does not necessarily mean "horrible things."

Last edited:
They probably won't be too bad off with the wind but it is in a flood area and it is safe to say the person I know at least has no freaking clue what she is doing. She is only going because "she already paid". :|
Why the hell don't they just postpone the damn thing?

What type of flood area? Near the beach, in a "storm flood" area (where the sea water will rise and cause the flood) or in a rain/flash flood area (rainwater running down)?

To give you an idea of how not-bad a Cat 1 is when it's inland, back in 2005, Rita was expected to strike Houston as a Cat 5 (or maybe strong Cat 4). It was expected to come to Austin, and be a Cat 1 in Austin. There was a mandatory evacuation for parts of the Houston area (the low lying parts that could get hit by the storm surge and areas that would get the worst of the winds) and many others from the metro area chose to evacuate. What was one of the official destination cities for evacuation? Austin. Right in the predicted path of the Cat 1. If you're not dealing with the storm surge, it's not as bad as people associate with "hurricane".

I'm not saying it's smart to go out camping in a hurricane (or a major thunderstorm, even). I'm just trying to say it's not as boneheaded dumb as it can sound, so long as they're outside the range of the storm surge.

They are going to be near the reservoir in the middle of the state about smack dab where it is hitting here according to the map, like if I am reading right the eye of the storm will go over them. We don't get "hurricanes" around here really, the last one this bad was 20 years ago so this is pretty bad on the scale of what we are used to even if people in florida are laughing at us.

I'm not the person who makes fun of you for that.

And I'm not making fun of you for this. I'm trying to provide information, as information is an effective way to combat fear. The comment wasn't specifically at you (though I know it appeared that way). It was at people observing the situation in general.

You did call going camping in this "stupid suicidal crap," which seems like a bit of an overreaction, to me. In the same way, the people in the South rushing to buy bread and milk before ice hits is a bit of an overreaction (and I say that as someone who lives in the South!).

Last edited:
I wish I was better at typography.

Oh, and lovely, I apparently don't qualify for a handicap tag according to the stupid state because neurological pain is invaild. I guess I will have to continue never being able to drive anywhere with large parking lots then. :|
Fuck you state of MA.

Last edited: