Random Thoughts....

nah if he wants to complain. he can complain to the BBC. i'm sending it back to him saying "your homework for today is to use a feature available on most computers and websites called spellcheck. send it back to me when i don't need to decode your message."

Last edited:
Wait. Is he thinking you are providing too biased information on behalf of the BBC or is he thinking Torchwood is an information program?

Aunt and Uncle just left and we had a hearty laugh talking about stuff yesterday with the family.

Apparently in India what one of the old "traditions" for men seeking women is that men would seek out certain families, go visit their houses and they would be treated to sweets and Bhaji/Bajji:

bhaji.jpg

Fried fritters with various vegetables/aka the indian version of tempura.

Meanwhile the prospective girl would be made to show off her talents while the prospective groom would eat sweets and bajji and get entertained.

Honestly, what I said was "Wtf is this, slave trade?". And my parents and family are not all about that, even if they are very traditional, so they were just saying it to make fun of it.

HOWEVER. Bajji has to be my all time most favorite snack/appetizer/thing to stuff my mouth with in my entire life. There is nothing else that will compare. As soon as I found out about this age-old tradition I grabbed my uncle's hand and I was like "cmon let's go, the girls' families must be waiting". :p

Also yesterday we ended up watching a bollywood movie that only lasted 1.5 hours! :eek:

And I learned that "Phakra" or "Phak" (pronounced similar to "Fuck") means "pride". So technically "Fuck you" means "I'm proud of you".

FUCK YOU FINALGEAR!

Son, I am fuck.

Reactions: LP
Yeah, that's what they said. If the girl can dance/sing/play the sitar etc. she would be made to do that while the family sit there proud and gleaming, hoping the groom will be entertained enough/admire her talents enough to choose her. It's like going through someone's CV except more retarded.

Huh, so it's like clubbing meets American Idol.

nah if he wants to complain. he can complain to the BBC. i'm sending it back to him saying "your homework for today is to use a feature available on most computers and websites called spellcheck. send it back to me when i don't need to decode your message."

I'm thinking Morris Marina owner* and member of MMOC.

:smile:

* Sorry Captian.:p

I didn't see anything wrong with it until I read that he spelled badly and went back to check. :| I've been on an internet too long. :| :| :| :|

LP, have you heard of the movie Blind Dating? (All this talk of Indian culture got me thinking about it.) It has Chris Pine (new Captain Kirk) in it. He's a blind man who falls in love with an Indian woman without knowing she's Indian and promised to another man. I personally love the movie and I usually hate movies with any sort of romance in them :lol:

Son, I am fuck.

You have been sigged buddy, be fuck of your celebrity.

Huh, so it's like clubbing meets American Idol.

Yes but with more facial hair. Both.

LP, have you heard of the movie Blind Dating? (All this talk of Indian culture got me thinking about it.) It has Chris Pine (new Captain Kirk) in it. He's a blind man who falls in love with an Indian woman without knowing she's Indian and promised to another man. I personally love the movie and I usually hate movies with any sort of romance in them :lol:

I have not, but that sounds like an amusing movie :p

I have not, but that sounds like an amusing movie :p

:lol: It is, though. Worth watching, although don't be me and watch it a million times.

...I like Chris Pine, okay, don't judge me. :p

....and yes I did watch the new Star Trek a million times over...

I wanted to get the hell out of the house this weekend, and so it was accomplished. I biked around my area twice yesterday, went hiking this morning, then took a bike ride this afternoon.
Need those pleasant memories when February rolls around, ya know. Actually between now and early October is a time in my region of pleasant temperatures, sunny skies and little rain; September, October, April and May is I think why people tolerate the endless winters and oppressively hot and humid summers here.

Last edited:
Just got back from the doctor, she doesn't want to see me anymore :D

what did you do to her?!

in other news, sweet jesus what did i do to my back? i can't get out if bed...

Last edited:
*non-sensical comment about Nazi Torchwood*

I'm going to make a few educated, serious guesses:

1. A six year old pretending to be a grown up, surely. o_O

2. One of those rural bumpkins you saw on Hot Fuzz.

3. Drunk.

4. Either that, or the product of someone with dementia. I wish I hadn't thought of that, because if that'ss the case; that comment really isn't funny anymore. :(

Last edited:
Had some American guys at my work today (I now work for an American company that has just branched out into the UK) and they had pretty strong accents. I'm guessing they were from the mid-west. Anyway they were having a bit of difficulty understanding the regional accents and also the slang over here. When a male colleague said he was 'going out for a fag' I thought the guy might choke to death :) Having said that though they did bring pizza so I thought they were awesome! The whole thing made me wonder what slang we take for granted that Americans wouldn't know what it meant? And vice versa.

I would hazard a guess that the average Brit would know more American slang than an American would know British, as it seems you are exposed to more of our media than we are to yours. But of course this particular community would be well above average.

One example that got me the first time was "chuffed."

You need to check out the Americanisms thread.

I would hazard a guess that the average Brit would know more American slang than an American would know British, as it seems you are exposed to more of our media than we are to yours.

Speak an accent from the UK and I will probably be correct in guessing it's region. To me, it is fascinating on how the dialects are like lines in the dirt.

Speak an accent from the UK and I will probably be correct in guessing it's region. To me, it is fascinating on how the dialects are like lines in the dirt.

I can really only differentiate Northern/Southern/London/Wales/Scotland when it comes to UK accents. I wish I could be more precise, but I haven't had nearly enough exposure to different UK accents for that.