Random Thoughts....

Cannot motivate myself to work anymore. I've been trying for the past few months, and I give up. All I want to do is do nothing for a year. Stay at home, watch movies on Netflix for an entire year. That's all I want right now. My will is completely broken.

Don't. Not at all. I've been unemployed for a couple years now, and I've been at that point for awhile now. If you're willing to sit and do nothing for a year, what happens when that year's up? I did that, and now I'm in a bad position. Don't put yourself in a bad position.

Now that I've had a small taste of freedom - a whole four-day weekend and all my days off were actually in a row for once! - I really don't want to go back tomorrow. I'll get over it, because I just spent way too much money and I have to get that money back somehow and I unfortunately still haven't found the rich man of my dreams...

Well, I'm not at the poverty line. ;)

I have a love hate relationship with work. I really like my job (even if it's not playing with pro audio) but the people SUCK. One has the head the size of Saturn, another spends literally 4 hours a day complaining about being over worked, another has barely a sense of how to do her job, another whines about other people wasting time about whining, the other works so much his health is declining rapidly.

There's others but, salesmen don't count since I never see one, and the other is in once a month.

Getting tired of my current workplace. I was supposed to get a raise and signed onto an official apprenticeship after three months, approaching 7 months now without either and not without a lack of effort on my part.

I am strongly considering finding a camp job in either forestry or the oil and gas industry. It would either be a 7 on, 7 off, or 14 on, 7 off depending on the job. I'd be flying in and out and away from home alot but it would be much better pay with medical and next to no expenses. My wife is supportive but it's a pretty big step to make. Any suggestions?

I work in the gas and oil industrial heating industry. 4 of the 5 working days will be spent (after my apprenticeship ends) traveling to jobs. Personally, with the health benefits and company provided car and tools, I'm happy and grateful for it. You can meet some really good people too.

It's tough on the body (from what I'm told) but it's way way better than a 9-5 office drone job.

I managed to fly over a speed table at 30MPH in Chicago a couple weekends ago. That is NOT a good feeling...

The local high school parking lot has speed tables, but they're so long that you can hit them at pretty decent speeds as long as you have somewhat competent suspension.

Ugh...taxes. Apparently I can get a break on my college expenses (good!) but I'm unsure if I can since my parents can claim me on their return (they chose not to this year) + I've been in school for more than 4 actual years yet i'm just now considered a senior. Does just being a senior this past fall mean i'm still within my 4th year? ugh confusing.

NVM, the tax app caught it and adjusted accordingly..no savings for meh.
I haven't even done them "for real" yet, i'm forecasting what i'll likely get back using a tax estimator. :lol: So far it's a whopping 253 bucks not including the school expenses deductions if i take them.

EDIT 2: I forgot, it's not taking my wages from the dining hall into account...gotta figure out how they handle W-2's here...

Last edited:
I already filed my taxes like a week ago and should be getting 80$ back which is better than last year's 13$ back but thanks to my current employer changing the company name under which it payed out our wages, I ended up with 3 W-2's...while I was entering them in TurboTax I found that if I'd just entered the first two (the one from HFT from the beginning of the year and the second from current company under wrong name) that I could have gotten more money back...which made me quite disappointed when I finished entering in the third form to find that the total money I was getting back went down from like 150$ to 80$.

But at least I got the damn thing done already and I filed online for direct deposit. Yay money straight into my bank account :)

I already filed my taxes like a week ago and should be getting 80$ back which is better than last year's 13$ back but thanks to my current employer changing the company name under which it payed out our wages, I ended up with 3 W-2's...while I was entering them in TurboTax I found that if I'd just entered the first two (the one from HFT from the beginning of the year and the second from current company under wrong name) that I could have gotten more money back...which made me quite disappointed when I finished entering in the third form to find that the total money I was getting back went down from like 150$ to 80$.

But at least I got the damn thing done already and I filed online for direct deposit. Yay money straight into my bank account :)

Sweet. I've used TurboTax for years but I may try a cheaper alternative this year. I'll see how H&R Block At Home compares price wise.

EDIT: I may try the free version of each...i want to have it do state though...its a pita otherwise.

Last edited:
It's all in the name :dunno: gives moms a private place.
I fear it's more like a "keeps breast-feeding out of the sight of moral zealots" kind of idea. The concept that breast-feeding is something immoral/intimate that has to be hidden from the world, like the talk about "protecting unborn life" are post-WW2 (or even newer) concepts.

Sometimes I think that since women got the vote and even are allowed to open a bank account or get a job without asking her husband, over-regulating what she can do with her reproductive organs is the petty revenge of powertripping frustrated old men.

I fear it's more like a "keeps breast-feeding out of the sight of moral zealots" kind of idea. The concept that breast-feeding is something immoral/intimate that has to be hidden from the world, like the talk about "protecting unborn life" are post-WW2 (or even newer) concepts.

Sometimes I think that since women got the vote and even are allowed to open a bank account or get a job without asking her husband, over-regulating what she can do with her reproductive organs is the petty revenge of powertripping frustrated old men.

Over here it would be what narf said. Employers are bound by law to provide lactation rooms for women who work and breast feed, so they can use a breast pump there. Usually it's a converted broom cabinet, or a small office that's been converted.

I agree with you on the rest though. The amount of weird looks we got when my wife was breastfeeding our kids in public.... Bah.

Cannot motivate myself to work anymore. I've been trying for the past few months, and I give up. All I want to do is do nothing for a year. Stay at home, watch movies on Netflix for an entire year. That's all I want right now. My will is completely broken.

Warning signs of depression. Please, go talk to someone. Even if you start with your GP :hug:

Getting tired of my current workplace. I was supposed to get a raise and signed onto an official apprenticeship after three months, approaching 7 months now without either and not without a lack of effort on my part.

I am strongly considering finding a camp job in either forestry or the oil and gas industry. It would either be a 7 on, 7 off, or 14 on, 7 off depending on the job. I'd be flying in and out and away from home alot but it would be much better pay with medical and next to no expenses. My wife is supportive but it's a pretty big step to make. Any suggestions?

I suggest a PM to CrazyJeeper. OK so he isn't married but he can give you an insight into the realities of that kind of work. Good luck! A friend of mine has just flown out to the Emirates to work for two years leaving his family behind in the UK and he will be home 1 week in 4 months. I've got everything they can survive it.

Warning signs of depression. Please, go talk to someone. Even if you start with your GP :hug:

This. I'd go further and suggest that's more than warning signs, that's full blown symptoms. Get to your GP fast because if you mess up this part of your life the rest is likely to follow.

I know women where I work who use those lactation rooms. They do it for privacy's sake, but not because of breast feeding, it's just a good excuse for them to disappear every now and then. To me, that's sexist. Men don't get a privacy room to disappear to.

I agree with skidd. We've had feminism for 5 decades now. I propose we start a masculism movement. Our first demand will be that employers are duty bound by law to provide us with places that we can disappear to. They shall be called "fap chambers". :shakeffist:

You do. Between about 9am and 10am the guys disappear to the bathroom.

I know being regular is important, but it used to be about 10 mins. Since the invention of smart phones and tablets, it's more like 20-30mins. Apparently that is how long it takes legs to go numb.

There was a bit of a controversy about public breast-feeding here in Australia a couple of weeks ago. A woman in Queensland had been asked by staff at a public pool to "be more discreet and modest" with her breast-feeding. The host of one of our morning shows commented that he thought that was fair enough. As a result, breast-feeding mothers protested outside show's studio window.

Seeing the post above about there being "lactation rooms" so that woman can breast-feed somewhere private made a question occur to me- why is it totally acceptable for a breast-feeding mother to feel embarrassed about exposing herself in public, but totally unacceptable for bystanders to feel embarrassed about somebody exposing themselves in public?

For the record, I think babies should be fed wherever and whenever they need to be.

Last edited:
I agree with skidd. We've had feminism for 5 decades now. I propose we start a masculism movement.
I suggest you do google masculinism. The real-life, existing masculinism movement is exactly the kind of hateful crackpots that illustrate why we still need feminism badly.

One example: A semi-prominent masculinist went on twitter the other day to demand that when a man reports to the police that he has been raped by a woman, she should be forced to take the morning-after pill in order to prevent "semen robbery".
When asked how due process and the assumption of innocence fit into this proposal, he changed his tune to "a quick process and a forced abortion."