Random Thoughts....

Oh please...

I work downtown sort of near the transamerica Pyramid. I have clients and offices from everywhere around the city, from the ballpark to the Marina, to Union square, to Dogpatch. It's gotten noticeably worse in the last...oh...3-6 years. I have one client that is down by the ballpark, and I usually have to park about 3 blocks away. I'm there 3 times a week. You will find multuple stashes of multiple needles on the ground every. Single. Day. And this stretch of street even includes regular volunteer pick up crews, who use gloves, grabbers, and walkie talkies to call specific individuals who are trained to deal with biological waste. If I want to walk from my office to Subway, 2 blocks, I do not have a route that does not cross paths with that least 3 homeless people, and more often than not, at least one of them will be screaming at people. Every Walgreens, CVS and 7-11 has people camped out in front of the doors. Walking from Bart to my office, which is about 5 blocks, I shit you not, I could count 20 homeless/beggars.

I work downtown sort of near the transamerica Pyramid. I have clients and offices from everywhere around the city, from the ballpark to the Marina, to Union square, to Dogpatch. It's gotten noticeably worse in the last...oh...3-6 years. I have one client that is down by the ballpark, and I usually have to park about 3 blocks away. I'm there 3 times a week. You will find multuple stashes of multiple needles on the ground every. Single. Day. And this stretch of street even includes regular volunteer pick up crews, who use gloves, grabbers, and walkie talkies to call specific individuals who are trained to deal with biological waste. If I want to walk from my office to Subway, 2 blocks, I do not have a route that does not cross paths with that least 3 homeless people, and more often than not, at least one of them will be screaming at people. Every Walgreens, CVS and 7-11 has people camped out in front of the doors. Walking from Bart to my office, which is about 5 blocks, I shit you not, I could count 20 homeless/beggars.

Unpossible. 93Flareside didn't see it, so you must be making things up. /sarcasm :p

So what are they?

The name was Parnith (par-NEETH), and it was a she. I guessed that one wrong. Hell, my local rep for a fabric manufacturer us named Leslie. A really nice old guy. My right hand helper is Rupa. I thought I had this one as a slam dunk, because I used to work with a guy named rupa. Well, it turns out that this rupa is a she, which apparently is the more common usage of the name. Damnit. The office admin for one of my other clients was always referred to as Andy. I never heard anyone use anything other than that proper name. However, when I started talking about this person, I instantly thought of my brother, named Andrew, and kept referring to Andy as "he" and "him". In this case, Andy was Andi, short for Andrianna.

When dealing with clients and vendors from all over the world, one often finds themself in a position of placing a phone call, and crossing your fingers that you get their voicemail, so that you know how to pronounce their name, and can maybe get a hint of its it is a he or she.

Last edited:
The name was Parnith (par-NEETH), and it was a she. I guessed that one wrong. Hell, my local rep for a fabric manufacturer us named Leslie. A really nice old guy. My right hand helper is Rupa. I thought I had this one as a slam dunk, because I used to work with a guy named rupa. Well, it turns out that this rupa is a she camera which apparently is the more common usage of the name. Damnit. V office admin for one of my other clients was always referred to as Andy. I never heard anyone use anything other then that proper name. However, when I started talking about this person, I instantly thought of my brother, named Andrew. In this case, Andy was Andi, short for Andrianna.

When dealing with clients and vendors from all over the world, one often finds themself in a position of placing a phone call, and crossing your fingers that you get their voicemail, so that you know how to pronounce their name, and can maybe get a hint of its it is a he or she.

That's fine. This, with made up BS pronouns CA is looking at mandating complete with jail terms for non-compliance, is not.

DSC_0151_original.jpg

I told you guys about my one client who had a lengthy discussion about how to create gender neutral mother's rooms, right?

I told you guys about my one client who had a lengthy discussion about how to create gender neutral mother's rooms, right?

Just the cliff notes actually, about how it took most of an entire meeting. it was then that I realized you are indeed in SF

No, please do. :lmao:

Well, let's say that they have an employee who is living their life as a male. But biologically female, and gets pregnant. They have multiple mothers quarters within their office, but it is usually one larger room, with private areas sectioned off by curtains. Each one of these smaller areas has a chair, a side table, it laptop table, and then there is also a refrigerator in the room. They wanted to make a space where someone who presents as male, walking into a mother's room, would not make the other mothers in the room feel uncomfortable, and this individual could also do what they needed to do without announcing their sex to the world.

In this case, they separated out one of those individually curtained-off areas, and built walls, and gave it a separate door. Essentially, it's a very very small wellness room, with a small refrigerator. But, it is dual purposed as a gender neutral lactation room.

The Tenderloin (which is where most the drug users and human waste is found) is by no means representative of the entire Bay Area, and no city there is representative of the whole state. California is achingly beautiful, even driving through on I-80 is gorgeous. It's true that they have a lot of misguided laws and high taxes, but so does Utah. This state just barely passed a law making sex outside of marriage legal, I have to buy alcohol from a state-owned store, the LDS Church controls everything going on at the capitol, and the culture is one of the most monochomatic I've ever experienced. Oh, and the taxes are pretty similar to California if you look at the real numbers compared to incomes.

Yes, their gun laws are stupid and many of their efforts are misguided, but that's no different than Texas, or Utah, or any other state. CA has a lot of influence because they have a lot of people and a massive economy. The landscape is one of the most varied in the world ranging from -230 feet to having the largest collection of 14,000 foot peaks in the lower-48. In terms of natural beauty, California is simply unbeatable. There are a lot of great people there too, fantastic food, incredible cultural diversity, and amazing art and music.

So let's maybe back off the bashing of CA a notch or two. You can find ugly anywhere if you look for it.

The name was Parnith (par-NEETH), and it was a she. I guessed that one wrong. Hell, my local rep for a fabric manufacturer us named Leslie. A really nice old guy. My right hand helper is Rupa. I thought I had this one as a slam dunk, because I used to work with a guy named rupa. Well, it turns out that this rupa is a she, which apparently is the more common usage of the name. Damnit. The office admin for one of my other clients was always referred to as Andy. I never heard anyone use anything other than that proper name. However, when I started talking about this person, I instantly thought of my brother, named Andrew, and kept referring to Andy as "he" and "him". In this case, Andy was Andi, short for Andrianna.

Oh, they sent you the correct pronouns for specific persons.

I thought you meant that they had sent you a list of acceptable, non-gender-specific pronouns that they wanted you to use when addressing anybody from their company.

Yeah? And what city doesn’t have homeless people yelling weird shit? I must be jaded then.

Spectre makes it sound like the roads are unrecognizable and seems to be trying to fear monger. I’m expecting things to look like the photo I’ve uploaded and it just doesn’t. I don’t deny this stuff happens but holy shit the way it’s being explained makes it sound like the US president and his caravan of illegals.

Attachments

• 603948B9-F61E-4E2D-AC5D-D2D585A5DBC3.jpeg
    603948B9-F61E-4E2D-AC5D-D2D585A5DBC3.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 100
Yeah? And what city doesn’t have homeless people yelling weird shit? I must be jaded then.

I haven't heard any homeless people yelling weird shit in the Dallas CBD anytime recently and I'm down there a lot.

Spectre makes it sound like the roads are unrecognizable and seems to be trying to fear monger. I’m expecting things to look like the photo I’ve uploaded and it just doesn’t. I don’t deny this stuff happens but holy shit the way it’s being explained makes it sound like the US president and his caravan of illegals.

Dunno why you think it looks like a European plague village and not a post modern wasteland. :p

childrenofmen13.jpg

3367880_1280x720.jpg

One of these above pictures is from a movie. The other is reality. Reality is in many ways worse.

And yeah, to me, the roads are unrecognizable compared to what I saw there in the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

So let's maybe back off the bashing of CA a notch or two. You can find ugly anywhere if you look for it.

I would - if they would stop broadcasting how proud they are of their ugly, stop trying to export their ugly to other states or the entire nation (or trying to get us to pay for their ugly - Bullet Train To Nowhere, anyone?) and then blaming everyone else when their ugly has the drearily inevitable ending.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC

Oh, they sent you the correct pronouns for specific persons.

I thought you meant that they had sent you a list of acceptable, non-gender-specific pronouns that they wanted you to use when addressing anybody from their company.

Ah, I see. No, everyone's email signature, above their cell phone number and company social media link icons, listed their pronouns.

I haven't heard any homeless people yelling weird shit in the Dallas CBD anytime recently and I'm down the
For that matter it’s hardly a daily occurrence in Manhattan, in fact there are weeks when I don’t see any homeless people. And for all the garbage that we do have (mostly due to not having back alleys) there aren’t piles of needles or actual shit in the streets.

I work with someone who used to live in SF, she moved out to the burbs because it got so bad. Hell for get SF my wife’s former boss went to visit SD and said they literally had homeless demand money and walk into businesses and yell at the staff.

my local rep for a fabric manufacturer is named Leslie

Leslie/Lesley and Francis/Frances are quite easy - think of the letter "i" as a wiener and you'll (almost) always be able to tell one from the other. And if that rule fails then it's not your fault their parents can't spell!

Beverly and Vivian are trickier as they can be both male and female names, and in the latter case females don't always use the gender specific French spelling of Vivienne.

I visited SF for the first time since 2002 last November. My friend who I stayed with knew my apprehensions toward the city and his did very best to curate my visit to not see anything like that, and yet, I still saw more than my fair share of needles and shit on the street. Hell, even in the “nicer” parts of the city there is total grossness - went to some park apparently really popular with stoners and a homeless dude was taking a shit on the floor IN THE BATHROOM. YOU’RE ALREADY IN THE BATHROOM MATE, WHY USE THE FLOOR?

You can’t deny theres a problem with that when theres an official app put out by the city for reporting poo and the city provides safe spaces to shoot up.

Also stopped by some ultra fancy, super expensive hipster tea bar. My $8 plain black tea came in a paper cup with no lid, sure, normal. His fancy whatever drink came in a plastic cup with a plastic lid and a plastic straw wrapped in plastic. I’ve been to hick diners in redneckville that use less plastic.